PDA

View Full Version : Proposed Hunting Regulation Changes....Sunday Hunting

grandzillaa
03-31-2007, 10:06 AM
What do you think of them. Here is a few changes that were proposed: (not word for word)

Any one hunt in WMU 300, 320 & 303? Well if you hunt south of Highway 3 it was proposed that a 6point or larger elk be taken.

Elk in the 416-434.... well it was proposed that it would be put on a limited draw and last one month Nov1-30. Archery season from Oct.15-31.

Plus a number of other things regarding elk.

You know that each year there are under sudcribed WMU's....well it was proposed that non-resident Canadian hunters be allowed to hunt anterless mule and whitetail deer in under subscribed WMU's

Plus a number of other proposels regarding deer

Well if accepted...your 12 year old boy or girl may be able to hunt big game with a firearm.

Implement Sunday hunting in WMU's 258, 260,500-502 and 504

packhuntr
03-31-2007, 10:23 AM
Sure like the idea of dropping the legal hunting age. Not sure what to think about the undersubscribed thing. I guess in areas, mabey in the future we may want some more help with controlling some populations. But if it werent for this current CWD thing, I would say, i would disagree with opening that up to others. And besides, anyone honestly tell me, these outfitters and hunters, are going to be buying undersubscribed doe licences. You know damned well we are on our own with actually managing these hards anyways. They will only be here for one thing, racks. And that aint managment. Just my oppinion. But there could be many benefits. Sometimes I only see what I want to.

keep a strain on er.

bruceba
03-31-2007, 10:50 AM
Well if accepted...your 12 year old boy or girl may be able to hunt big game with a firearm.

I've been in agreement with this idea for years.

You know that each year there are under sudcribed WMU's....well it was proposed that non-resident Canadian hunters be allowed to hunt anterless mule and whitetail deer in under subscribed WMU's

I'm in agreement with packhuntr on the evidence does not point to meat hunting on this one. So lets give them a couple more tags to fill, where do the guides distribute double or triple the harvested meat.

Any one hunt in WMU 300, 320 & 303? Well if you hunt south of Highway 3 it was proposed that a 6point or larger elk be taken.

I've questioned quite a few people about their thoughts on this point system being implemented. Most were in favour of it.

Rackmastr
03-31-2007, 11:07 AM
I'm never in favour of a point system.....just personal preference regarding draws....

jrs
03-31-2007, 11:14 AM
I dislike the point system in those WMU's (Due to private land, the majority of bulls are protected anyways). I'd rather see a draw than that system, it just wrecks genetics and lowers hunter opportunities. And i really dislike the idea of giving non-residents undersubscribed doe tags. There was enough hunters available here, its the landowners in many of those zones not allowing hunters and then complaining when there haystack gets eaten. Maybe they could let on residents as well, not just outfitters??
I really hope the 12 year old hunting reg would come in, i would definetly have a few new people to teach rifle shooting to. Start them earlier and less will be lost to the anti-hunting crowd and videogames. My thoughts.

COOL
03-31-2007, 11:50 AM
Well if accepted...your 12 year old boy or girl may be able to hunt big game with a firearm. I HOPE it is not accepted.

Not sure what to think about the undersubscribed thing. I guess in areas, mabey in the future we may want some more help with controlling some populations.The future is now where have you been .If res were doing more meat hunting we wouldnt have this problem in some areas even if you give the meat away .I wecome the idea of non- res haveing this chance its long over do.

crossbow included in archery season
03-31-2007, 11:58 AM
A freind heard that for fall we will be able to use them in the bow season. Has anyone else heard this or just wishful thinkin on his part

Duffy4
03-31-2007, 12:59 PM
"proposed that non-resident Canadian hunters be allowed to hunt anterless mule and whitetail deer in under subscribed WMU's"

This has nothing to do with permits for OUTFITTERS. A fellow who comes to Alberta from BC or SAKS or ONT. to hunt deer with friends or family would then be able to shoot a doe or two as well as a buck. Sounds like a reasonable situation. It probably will not increase doe harvest a whole lot but can't hurt.

Why would anyone be opposed to lowering the age where a kid could possibly go hunting with their parent or gardian?

Robin

COOL NOT
03-31-2007, 01:31 PM
Why would anyone be opposed to lowering the age where a kid could possibly go hunting with their parent or gardian?

I feel its a accident waiting to happen its just to young all it will take is one of these parents or gardian's to leave the {KID} with a loaded gun near a clear cut etc and dont tell me it wouldnt happen they would be eager to shoot something NO sorry its just to young. i just dont buy into this lowering the age maybe they should allow 12 year old to drive a truck etc.PS They can still go hunting with a parent or gardian but not with a gun give them bino's .

packhuntr
03-31-2007, 01:55 PM
Well, there is that. Its sounds right on to me. But thats a good point. How old is too young. I started early, very early with firearms, but the old man made us go through a graduation process. Started with homemade slingshots, then to the real mccoy out of the store, then to homemede bows, to fiberglass. To pellet guns, to 22, then shotguns, etc. But we had to become proficient with it before we moved on. Safety was huge. I think 12 is good to go. Mabey it depends on who is the teacher. But how do you make that distinction?

jrs
03-31-2007, 02:01 PM
"This has nothing to do with permits for OUTFITTERS."

I know it has nothing to do with permits, in many of those WMU's however large areas are closed to resident hunting and outfitters have exclusive access to "manage the wildlife" (except for the odd case where other crooked kind of dealings occur including paying a fee to remove your critter or what not). I feel non-residents have plenty of opportunities, its better than if we try to hunt our neighboring provinces. Thats my opinion, i know what you mean but i don't feel it will help management in the zones. Just my opinion. Maybe in zones with minimal hunting pressure but i know the zones i hunt had extra tags left this year yet the number of guys hunting in small areas was borderline dangerous.

grandzillaa
04-01-2007, 09:39 AM
Most so far are for lowering the age limit, even I would go for it. My children started hunting game bird at the age of 12. 1st though they had to take the (First time hunters course) which teaches positive indenification as well as other very important information. After that and before we headed to the fields or ponds I gave them some safty tips and each year there after I gave them safty tips. Now one still hunts and one dosen't all that often. The one that still hunts passed the gun course with flying colours, the other didn't go for the course as of yet and may not even try.

The first few years I wouldn't give any shotgun shells until we got to the duck blind.

Anyhow my point is that they already were using a legal weapon for game bird hunting. A 12ga shotgun for duck and grouse, and a 22 cal. for grouse. Both are deadly weapons both can kill, yet 12 year old can hunt game bird with them. So why not let them go and hunt big game as well. 12 year olds can hunt big game with a crossbow which also has a trigger on it, sure it has a safty, but....

Anyhow Roberts point is a good point and it is good to see someones elses point of view. It gives you something to think about.

Duk Dog
04-01-2007, 12:12 PM
Personally I think if non residents could hunt does, and cows it would be a good thing as it can only help F&W to get closer to their harvest targets. Don't think someone from out of province would shoot a doe or cow given the chance? I disagree. Given a chance to add a cow moose or cow elk to the freezer who wouldn't?

Northern Hunting Mom
04-01-2007, 03:04 PM
One proposal I like is that only farmers who allow hunting on their land can get reimbursed for wildlife crop loss. Can't see that happening but I can always have hope for some common sense.

Rookie Recurve
04-01-2007, 08:46 PM
I agree Northern Hunting Mom. Seems like a very logical solution. It puts some of the onus on landowners to help contribute to controlling losses from wildlife. And I agree with allowing hunting big game at 12 as well. We are bubble wrapping our kids these days and creating an generation of people who are irresponsable well past their adolescence. Look how many young adaults still live with thier parents. Age is part of the equation, but experience and attitude play major roles as well. I think responsible hunters should be able to decide if thier 12 year old is capable of the responsibility and the risks of handling a rifle. My .02

Cordur
04-01-2007, 09:19 PM
I'm going to agree that 12 is likely too young to be out big game hunting. Certainly it wouldn't be a problem when a youth is supervised but it makes second guess the responsibilty of the supervisor. As was said patience comes into play far more during a deer hunt than a duck hunt and even so I'd rather have a youth get bored with a shot gun and pick on a few squirells than try the same with a long range cartridge.

Also if there aren't enough doe being shot then it's likely to do with land owners not wanting people hunting their fields. Won't hurt to let a few more people shoot some does but there could be a better solution as this likely won't cut it.

qbochar
04-01-2007, 10:20 PM
to all of those people who are against 12 yr olds hunting, and your arguments that it is not safe:

It seems to working in BC, Sask, Man, Ont, Que so why not here?

Most of the kids will be with responsible parents, so why not?

Are the parents not responsible?

WHY NOT?
04-01-2007, 10:28 PM
It seems to working in BC, Sask, Man, Ont, Que so why not here?I would like to know for how long has it been working as YOU SAY.

Most of the kids will be with responsible parentsMost kids as you say ok what about the rest ????so lets hear it qbochar

Mackaylake
04-01-2007, 11:00 PM
12 years old is NOT to young. If the parents/guardian is responsible there should be no problem at all. There has been hunting accidents in the past and ALL of them have been by people over 14 years old. If you don't think the person that your taking hunting isn't responsible then don't take them. It doesn't matter what their age is.

gunslinger
04-02-2007, 08:00 AM
I am going to agree that 12 should be the age for the kids to hunt with a firearm, like been said they already are shooting geese.
and most likely if you have a 12 year old out hunting then hunting is in your passion and you will to the upmost teach that youngster the ethics that you have at all times.

Re: age
04-02-2007, 08:02 PM
Most of the kids will be with responsible parents, so why not?

Current firearms regulations require that anyone under the age of 18 must be under the direct supervision of a responsible adult. Sitting on point at the other end of the cut line does not qualify as "direct supervision" in anyones books. Therefore, all of the kids had better be with responsible adults while hunting, or by definition the adults really weren't "responsible".

bearbait
04-02-2007, 08:27 PM
they have been trying to push a younger age limmit for years but the gov always comes back with would u let your 12 year old drive your car??yes i would ynder my supervison....but i dont see the age thing going anywhere any time soon...wish it would but dont see it happining!!

robert.....if the youth has had there pal course i think they would be safer to hunt with then some of the idiots that are out there now...accidents happen and always will but i know alot of kids who are safer with a firearm then the adults around them!!its not like you can take them hunting and just throw a rife at them..they will require the same training that we do..
rob

Northern Hunting Mom
04-02-2007, 08:29 PM
Honestly, I think if you can get children comfortable and used to firearms before teenagers, it will be easier to ingrain safety. All brains bleed out of teenagers (some exceptions to this but very few.... Ryan is excepted). I would prefer to teach a child safe firearms use before their hormones take over their common sense.

geezer55
04-02-2007, 08:34 PM
I personally do not think 12 is too young to start hunting big game. That is when I started almost 40 years ago. Was living in Saskatchewan then, had to take a hunter training course which was a combination of our Alberta Hunter Training and the Canadian Firearms Course. After passing that my father had to get a letter from the RCMP to say that it was okay for me to hunt. Only hunted once there before moving to Alberta, just remember freezing my butt off at one end of the field, did not get anything that night either. My oldest son started when he was 12 and my youngest son started when he was 14. Never pushed either one of them into hunting, when they wanted to take the Alberta Hunter Training Course was their chose. One hunts both birds and big game and the younger one hunts only birds. They both have a healthy respect for firearms and wild life.

I knew it
04-02-2007, 08:35 PM
i think they would be safer to hunt with then some of the idiots that are out there now...accidents happen and always will but i know alot of kids who are safer with a firearm then the adults around them!I knew it was a matter of time before i heard this .If that helps you sleep at night so be it Bearbait good point of view but i dont buy it.

razadp
04-02-2007, 08:42 PM
A lot depends on what happened BEFORE the kid goes hunting. I was shooting .22 at 8 yrds old, hunting rabbits responsibly by 12, etc.

But we also had grown up using knives, electric jig-saws, ovens. All sorts of things most parents never let kids touch these days.

Driving on old gravel roads at 11, motorcycling at 12, etc. Used to be common in rural areas.

test.
04-03-2007, 07:40 AM
{would u let your 12 year old drive your car??}I would have to say no un safe many 12 year old are un awear of the dangers of the road and putting a 12 year old behind the wheel of a 2,000 lb machine wrong country road or not .

{they will require the same training that we do..}if there is a shooting course once every five years like your win card when it exp. you all must take a shooting test cool if not no way.

qbochar
04-03-2007, 10:25 AM
Hey Swingline:

If you want to know how long those provinces have had 12 year olds hunting then contact them.

And as for your second quote, mine will be with me, the ones you are worried about must be your kids.

qbochar
04-03-2007, 11:11 AM
"And as for your second quote, mine will be with me, the ones you are worried about must be your kids."

It has been a fairly good on this thread two sides to everything but qbochar your ignorance in your last thread tells me you have nothing strong to go on .I would ask you again but that is pointless :o .Its a good thread dont wreak it with your ignorance of knowing nothing about these other provinces.

bulldog
04-03-2007, 01:20 PM
I don't think that age has anything to do with it, if your child is raised to have respect for firearms than 12 yrs. old isn't too young. My son is 2 1/2 yrs. old and he knows that he isn't supposed to point his play guns at people. I was young when my dad put guns in my hands and I want the same for my son, he just needs to be taught whats right and wrong. Just my opinion though I will teach my kids to have the respect, I just hope everyone feels the same way about teaching these things to our kids. If everyone does this then there shouldn't be an issue with age.

craveman
04-04-2007, 11:52 AM
I started hunting in Sask when i was 12yr's old,you had to take hunter training,Firearm Safety,and then pass the shooting test,which then your parent could get a permit from the RCMP to make it all legal.Now at 40 and with the number's of hunter's dropping off fast should allow gun hunting for 12 and over for big game.As for unsubscribed licences should be made available for Canadian resident's,and no outta country hunter's.Funny we can go to the next province and shoot a nice wt buck or doe alone.

OrionN49
04-04-2007, 01:04 PM
I started hunting in BC when I was 12. That was 34 years ago.
You can hunt in BC (small or big game) while acompanied by a parent, legal guardian or someone over the age of 19 who has the written permission of the parent or guardian when you're 10 with a junior license. Any game taken counts on the adult's tag.

qbochar
04-05-2007, 01:03 AM
Hey swingline:

You want to talk about my ignorance on the issue, obviously you don' read alot of my other posts. If you feel so strongly about me not wrecking this thread with my ignorance, maybe you should do some research, better yet why don't you pm me and then we can chat in private.

qbochar
04-05-2007, 05:51 AM
obviously you don' read alot of my other posts.
I wouldnt want to i asked you a question on THIS thread and you had nothing to give but you still say {maybe you should do some research} when your the one with no research to back up your statement Thats just weak.Sorry dont want to talk to you or neat pick on this thread end of story enjoy life.

bruceba
04-05-2007, 08:25 AM
I believe that the vast majority of hunters who would be willing to take a twelve year old out hunting and allow them to shoot an animal have and will instill a respect for the out doors in the new hunter. I also taught all my kids to drive as soon as they could see over the wheel. If you hunt alone with you're kids I'd suggest doing the same. Several years back when my oldest was 10 yrs old I'd had 2 minor heart attacks in less than 6 months, with only 2 months to hunting season I had to have a back up plan incase anything went wrong out in the field. Now they may not be able to get you in a vehicle but they sure can drive good enough to get you some help or to an area with cell reception.
gbochar with respect to the ages being 12 accross the western and some eastern provinces your right and BC also lets a young hunter shoot at 10 yrs old but thery have to use their parent or gaurdians tag.

qbochar
04-05-2007, 03:13 PM
Since you don't wan to do the research but are willing to sling me then fine.

Here is what I wrote in the background for a resolution to the AFGA conference that has passed four years in a row.

BC 10 yrs old
SK 12 yrs old
MB 12 yrs old
YK 12 yrs old
Ont 12 yrs old

So as you can see other provinces have already let 12 yr olds hunt with a rifle for big game.

And I thought tha t AB was the progressive province.

Oh yeah enjoy your day...

jrs
04-05-2007, 05:07 PM
Guys that are questioning the shooting abilities of a twelve year old are really reaching. I have a young cousin getting pumped to come out with me and had my sister shooting cloverleafs with a pellet gun when she was 10. IT's easier to teach a younger person proper technique as well (TV is safe shootings enemy). Almost every kid i have helped teach to shoot with no past experience puts their finger right on the trigger and most do a poor job of controlling the barrel (hence direct supervision, range officer per kid when shooting). If you can introduce kids to shooting before they see James Bond on tv and what not it goes a lot smoother. Took her out with the 22 in the summer shooting tin cans and her accuracy was very good. 223 is next step up, if age is reduced to 12 i will be buying a 243 or borrowing a 6mm for the fall after this one, i'll have two new sidekicks if all goes well. I have no doubts the first deer at a fair range in safe position will be riding home with us ;) . Otherwise theyre both coming out for ducks and geese next fall as i picked up a pile of decoys.

grandzillaa
04-05-2007, 08:00 PM
I thought I would tell you this one now. It was proposed that they Implement Sunday hunting in WMU's 258,260, 500-502 and 504.....all north of Edmonton. Nothing south I am sorry to say. Unless some else spoke for Southern Alberta.

prairieboy
04-05-2007, 08:01 PM
I started hunting at age 12 in Saskatchewan 34 years ago.My father and grandfather would not let me hunt until I had proven that I could handle firearms safely on the farm and that I could shoot accurately enough to provide clean kills.

SnowRoad
04-05-2007, 08:01 PM
(This message was left blank)

prairieboy
04-06-2007, 06:36 PM
{they will require the same training that we do..}if there is a shooting course once every five years like your win card when it exp. you all must take a shooting test cool if not no way.

There is no shooting course that must be taken every five years for people of any age.:rolleyes

SnowRoad
04-06-2007, 08:24 PM
(This message was left blank)

TBark
04-06-2007, 09:09 PM
I like the 12 yr old age.
I also like the land owners getting cow elk, and or doe tags if they are having trouble protecting bails / feed piles.
Just not sure why they get Buck MD tags now in restricted zones where the rest of us line up and wait in the draws.
They should be issued doe tags. Shouldn't be a trophy hunt.

TBark

jrs
04-06-2007, 09:23 PM
"Just not sure why they get Buck MD tags now in restricted zones where the rest of us line up and wait in the draws."

That is a very good point. I talked to a land owner season before last where i was hunting and he wouldn't let me shoot certain bucks. They were probably 160-170'' mulies but he wanted to let them grow as he would only shoot bucks over 190'' (gets a tag every season). He only wanted us shooting small bucks and does. I just hunt elsewhere, theres deer eating other guys hay who don't place those kind of restrictions. He has a whole shed full of huge mulies, there should be landowner tags but maybe not every year. The guys using landowner tags should also have to be invlolved in general operations, like the regs say (enforcement? unlikely and difficult i realize). Most guys use it honestly however where i hunt. I kind of forgot about that incident until i read your post.

TBark
04-07-2007, 04:29 AM
I hear ya jrs.
We try and use respect as best we can, getting permission.
and it is a bonus when permission is granted,
but in your case back then, it shouldn't be up to a land owner to regulater your hunt like that. Hunt with respect if they allow, or no hunting. I've had a land owner say hunt the moose, deer, but no ruffed grouse LOL really. I respected that. But what size of a buck, Hmmmmm. ya I'd hunt elsewhere too.

TBark

grandzillaa
04-09-2007, 07:39 PM
Well I guess it is save to say that most of those that put any kind of reply on here are for 12 year olds to hunt big game with a rifle etc. Well I hope it comes to pass this coming fall or a least in the near future.:)

straitshooter
04-10-2007, 11:37 AM
Well I agree,12 year olds should be allowed to hunt big game,under direct supervision by an adult,but I think that both should have to take a hunter ed course,as far as letting a 12 year old hunt only upland or waterfowl,well it all comes down to safety,one coment was made they cannot drive,well if you come from a farm like I did driving sometimes started a lot earlier than 12 you started by steering then you graduated in stalling the vehicle because it was a standard transmisson, but safety was a 1 concern,my first gun was a palletgun at 10.then when I was ready by my dad's safety standard's I was given a 22 coey repeater,was shown how to use it,and at the age of 14,shot my first shotgun,it was a thrill back then to go hunting with my dad for ruffie's,at 16 Iwas handed my dad's 30-30 to which I have today for keep's sake. What my piont is that if safety comes first there shoudn't be accident's,for some of us accident's will take place,and for some of us not.