PDA

View Full Version : Dalemead / Langdon Res.

slivers86
12-05-2014, 01:25 AM
So it looks like they are doubling the size. I know there was a thread in general post, but its been dead for a bit.

Anyone know if the plans are for flood capacity so they can open the canals, or if its to make a larger reservoir? Perhaps turn this into a walleye fishery? It appears they drained the reservoir for the most part now - with fisherman and hunters warned its not safe with the work going on.

Thoughts? How nice would an 'eye fishery on the city limits be?

Crankbait
12-05-2014, 02:13 AM
you have to admit, with such little pressure and a nice coverage of area, there must be one hell of a pig-hen-pike somewhere in the slough. how much did they drain it?

slivers86
12-05-2014, 05:02 AM
It looks like they drained a substantial amount of water out, enough that I'd be positive it will winterkill. Its a very weedy body of water to begin with, so draining would cause a definite winterkill IMO. Pike do survive somehow though in swamps...

jeprli
12-05-2014, 07:54 AM
A decade ago it had some impressive pike, too bad guys felt obligated to take home dozens of big girls out. Nothing but hammer handles now and very few at that. I canoed entire lake with a sonar, apart from the main channel there is no depth to it only weeds and very silty bottom. be very careful if you plan to wade in this lake.

I did mark a whole lot of bait fish, maybe this place is some kind of nursery for fry. Don't know which kind but they are in there.

If they make it deeper I'm sure fish will like it, bugs are plentiful in that body of water.

markusbrainus
12-29-2014, 04:14 PM
I haven't driven east in a while and was surprised at the amount of construction around Langdon/Dalemead reservoir. According to this: http://www.wid.net/adobe/WIDNewsletterFall2013.pdf they are raising the berms 2 meters and plan to increase the water level by 1m.

I've pulled a few pike out of the channel, but this change might upgrade it from weedy slough to shallow lake.

The WID is also preparing for the Langdon Reservoir expansion. “We have secured a source of riprap,” Jeremy Hemsing, Manager of Operations and Maintenance said, “and we are starting to stockpile it at the location.” Jeremy went on to explain that the WID will lower the water level and begin work inside the reservoir after the peak irrigation time in 2014. The dikes will be raised by two meters and the water levels increased by a meter. This will result in a 12,000 acre-feet increase in capacity

bradcgm
12-30-2014, 11:23 AM
Anybody know roughly when this will be completed?

Jims71duster
12-30-2014, 04:40 PM
Anybody know roughly when this will be completed?

Has to be done by the time water flows in the canals on April 15