PDA

View Full Version : How goes the season?

Brian Bildson
12-08-2008, 06:23 PM
How's everyone making out? Season started here with wet rainy weather and stayed that way all November. Turning to snow now so things are looking up. I've got 100+ marten sets out and started with the lynx and wolf sets this week. Got a decent marten harvest with some lynx, fisher, coyote, and weasels for variety.

Have a good season

ljbb
12-25-2008, 04:36 PM
With the break in the weather had a chance to check what little bit of line, we have out. Had a good run for twenty traps out pick up a couple fisher and four martin. Seen a few more tracks including some lynx and otter sign. Hope to set out the north end of our line between christmas and new years, lots of fun and work.

Brian Bildson
01-02-2009, 04:50 PM
Lots of snow now and coooooold! Warming up tomorrow. Fur pretty decent but working hard for every pelt.

wolfcrazy
01-03-2009, 10:24 AM
Same here, Seems whenever I get sometime to go out we get a shot of -30+. I'm going out this week to do some more sets and start some wolf baits.

Brent Watson
01-03-2009, 04:45 PM
Been a tough past four weeks. Lots of COLD. Only a couple of days in between that were decent. Going out tomorrow to run the loops (41 km total) Have 86 martin sets out - 16 total so far but none in the last 3 weeks. Lots of sign earlier but little movement now. Too cold for them too? Will be hard on the juveniles who may not have their hunting skills honed to survive. We'll see what happens after the weather breaks. Very litle weasel sign as compared to last few years. Got a couple of squirrels but most of our poles aren't snared yet. Couple of lynx sets out. Did get a nice dark wolf and a coyote at one of our scent baits - first wolf!! Couple of small packs (3-4 in each) been running the line the last few years. Got 2 more scent baits out now and one main bait that we'll use as an attractant and hold the dogs in the area. Wanted to do more over the holidays but the weather was just too miserable - lots of minus 30C.

COYDOG
01-03-2009, 10:42 PM
Started putting out coyote snares on Dec 19 and got 44 so far. Price is in the tank so might end up pulln snares. Talked to my buyer tonight and he said 20 bucks tops. Not enough!

Backwoods Runner
01-04-2009, 01:11 PM
Hello fellow trappers:
1'st time on this forum. Trappings been difficult around Brazeau this year with the lack of snow early in season and then the -30 weather. Tough to keep some of the machines reliable. Did manage 24 good marten though and lots of squirrels and 1 large fisher, which are few and far between out here. Got 2 good wolves so far but lost a couple after a freezing rain froze up all the snares. Any good advice to keep snares from freezing.

Very discouraged by the so called hunters in my area. Found 5 shot and left deer and 1 moose during two runs of the line. How many did I not see? My kids were with me and were very upset that someone would waste an animal.

Enough for now. I'm not on very often so if you reply, be patient.

Happy trapping everyone.

COYDOG
01-04-2009, 10:09 PM
Checked snares today and now have 52 coys.

bullgetter
01-05-2009, 07:57 AM
Picked up my first wolf yesterday and 2 coyotes (one I flushed into a snare) at my bait site. That's all the past few days in this cold. I did pull 4 marten and saw otter sign last week so something was moving.
Totals
3 coyote
3 beaver
9 marten
6 weasel
2 fisher
3 lynx
1 wolf
1 mink