PDA

View Full Version : Ion

Alberta Bigbore
12-07-2014, 11:02 PM
Went out today with my new 8" ION....... wow!

Cut like a house on fire. Great product. The reverse function to clear the hole works ok... but not 100%

bobalong
12-07-2014, 11:16 PM
Went out today with my new 8" ION....... wow!

Cut like a house on fire. Great product. The reverse function to clear the hole works ok... but not 100%

That's good news, think I am going to try one when/if the Jiffy ever dies, how much ice?

Wild&Free
12-08-2014, 08:01 AM
How much? I'm getting tired of the hand sauger.

Scott N
12-08-2014, 08:18 AM
Any idea of how long the battery lasts on a charge?

Winch101
12-08-2014, 08:30 AM
I was told a couple of heat packs in a cooler to put battery in
Between holes . Battery lasts way longer . Fact ? Thnx

Jamie Black R/T
12-08-2014, 08:44 AM
That's good news, think I am going to try one when/if the Jiffy ever dies, how much ice?

x2 i have an old jiffy that wont quit and let me buy a new toy.

and x2 on an ice report?

silverdoctor
12-08-2014, 09:09 AM

Wrong thread Winch, try here: http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=238382

Just kidding.

Good news on the auger ABB.

Jamie Black R/T
12-08-2014, 09:14 AM

ION makes a battery bag that specifically holds two batteries and takes hand warmers to keep them warm while out fishing.

no idea how it works. looking forward to hearing some reviews.

Winch101
12-08-2014, 09:19 AM
Funny Doc ,took me a bit .

I have used 20 volt ion cordless drills in -5 and a little colder ,
They last about half as long , so I think the ion is 44 volt .
To go all day should you keep the battery warm in between hole sprees .

I want one ,I just keep hoping I'll find a sale , really no safe ice
Down here as far as I'm concerned .

EZM
12-08-2014, 09:26 AM
ION makes a battery bag that specifically holds two batteries and takes hand warmers to keep them warm while out fishing.

The above is the one and only reason I'd be reluctant to buy one. If the batteries get to cool, the charge is reduced to the point of being an issue if you like to drill multiple holes and/or run and gun around the lake. Imagine the cost of hand warmers all ice season .....

$ 10 of gas/oil will last me all season and there is no worries about the auger firing up and drilling holes to my hearts content.

They do look pretty slick, and the convenience, weight of the electric is awesome for sure - but $150 for a second spare (or replacement) battery seems alot to me.

There are very few mechanical parts to break as well .... so that's a plus for sure.

The ability to put it into the cab of your vehicle, with no mess and drill inside your tent without fumes are also pretty slick features.

I guess when it's time to buy my next auger I will have a dilemma ....

Jamie Black R/T
12-08-2014, 09:37 AM
The above is the one and only reason I'd be reluctant to buy one. If the batteries get to cool, the charge is reduced to the point of being an issue if you like to drill multiple holes and/or run and gun around the lake. Imagine the cost of hand warmers all ice season .....

$ 10 of gas/oil will last me all season and there is no worries about the auger firing up and drilling holes to my hearts content.

They do look pretty slick, and the convenience, weight of the electric is awesome for sure - but $150 for a second spare (or replacement) battery seems alot to me.

There are very few mechanical parts to break as well .... so that's a plus for sure.

The ability to put it into the cab of your vehicle, with no mess and drill inside your tent without fumes are also pretty slick features.

I guess when it's time to buy my next auger I will have a dilemma ....

i agree on the dilemma.

i really want to buy an ion but i like mobility and often fish off sled for that reason...spent a few full days out sub -25 last season and the old 2 stroke took a few extra pulls but it didnt let me down.

Battery powered anything suffers in that kind of cold.

will keep watching reviews...they will only keep improving the design and accessories. As a cold weather tool, im sure we will see some significant strides to improve the cold weather performance.

that heated bag is a start. maybe a 12v rechargable bag that stays warm all day no relying on hand warmers. Or maybe that zippo hand warmer in the bag? those things are supposed to burn for 12 hours i think.

bwackwabbit
12-08-2014, 09:38 AM

I've got one, works awesome! Holds 2 batteries and has a spot for 4 hand warmers. Used it on Buffalo in -27 and battery stayed room temp w/one warmer.

Jamie Black R/T
12-08-2014, 09:56 AM
I've got one, works awesome! Holds 2 batteries and has a spot for 4 hand warmers. Used it on Buffalo in -27 and battery stayed room temp w/one warmer.

Good to hear!

sorting out the cold weather issue is all it would take to make the ion a no brainer for me really.

I punch a LOT of holes and the lightweight ion would be nice...not to mention no 2 stroke stink or leaking jerry cans in the sled.

binnzer32
12-08-2014, 10:52 AM
By the time you buy the extra batteries... fancy bag to hold them and hand warmers all season your into it for $1000. That's a lot of cheddar. The only thing that is nice is its good for non truck fishermen. .. my husqvarna weighs pretty much the same. ..

bwackwabbit
12-08-2014, 11:11 AM
No extra battery required, bag was $25 and enough hand warmers for 2 seasons is $15 at Costco. So for less than the price of your husqvarna the ion is a great choice.

Jamie Black R/T
12-08-2014, 11:44 AM
No extra battery required, bag was $25 and enough hand warmers for 2 seasons is $15 at Costco. So for less than the price of your husqvarna the ion is a great choice.

Anyone test the 40 hole per charge claims?

I personally would need a second battery im sure...40 holes in 2 feet of ice is probably more like 20 to 25 holes at -20 with over 3 feet of ice.

Ive drillied over 40 holes in a single day before...several times actually.

bwackwabbit
12-08-2014, 11:49 AM
Best I have done is 27 holes on a single charge in -25 w/the 8" flight (that was before the bag and handwarmer) I kept the battery in my shack.

Alberta Bigbore
12-08-2014, 02:03 PM

9 inch near whitecourt where i was.

Alberta Bigbore
12-08-2014, 02:05 PM
How much? I'm getting tired of the hand sauger.

$599 at The Fishin Hole.... $699 at cabelas as of saturday the price tag said.

Cabelas had one, 10" bit in stock

Alberta Bigbore
12-08-2014, 02:09 PM
Any idea of how long the battery lasts on a charge?

I drilled approx about 16-20 holes? 9 inch thick... used reverse to clear majority of slush... ( push away slush mound or when water comes back up, pulls it back in lol)......with no power loss. Took battery off after each drilling session.

i also bought an ION battery bag.. $$$$fancy insulated lunch bag.

Very happy and not nervous about my purchase anymore.

bwackwabbit
12-08-2014, 02:38 PM
Glad to hear it!

Wild&Free
12-08-2014, 05:09 PM
$599 at The Fishin Hole.... $699 at cabelas as of saturday the price tag said.

Cabelas had one, 10" bit in stock

That's not too bad.

I walk and drag a sled most of the time so want to keep the weight down.