PDA

View Full Version : Travers Sunday

Hueston
12-08-2014, 09:30 AM
Went out Sunday afternoon, 5" of ice caught 6 whites seen probably 100

Macdrizzle
12-08-2014, 12:53 PM
Not to derail but I saw 4-5 people fishing within the buoys at the spill way, caught their limits and went home. The one day I forget to bring my cell phone...

Just a reminder that fishing within the buoys is off limits.

Other than that, I landed 2 small pikes, 1 5.2lbs burbot and 3 whites (saw 100+ as well :sHa_shakeshout:)

Hueston
12-08-2014, 01:56 PM
All I saw were whites nothing else. Weird thing was they had tiny bumps all over

the local angler
12-08-2014, 05:57 PM
i find it interesting that they left the buoy markers in cause usually when they shut off the canals and the spillway has no water they haul in the buoy markers{for the ice season}but then again this was before when the distance was like 25m. i am guessing the rule now is year round?

Winch101
12-08-2014, 06:24 PM
With all the contaminants from the High River Flood ,I am not sure
The Calgary Health Region has given the reservoir a clean bill of health .
I would call the SRD and ask if they would like some bumpy fish to look at .

BPman
12-08-2014, 07:25 PM
All I saw were whites nothing else. Weird thing was they had tiny bumps all over

During spawning, male whitefish develop "Nuptial Tubercles" or pearl bodies on the scales of their flanks: the 3 rows of scales above the lateral line and 6 rows below. Less common on females. Was this what you observed?

MoFugger21
12-08-2014, 08:11 PM
With all the contaminants from the High River Flood ,I am not sure
The Calgary Health Region has given the reservoir a clean bill of health .
I would call the SRD and ask if they would like some bumpy fish to look at .

There is nothing wrong with eating the fish in Travers. Pretty sure you'd hear about people getting sick from skiing, wake boarding, and swimming in Travers this summer if your theory was correct.....

Hueston
12-08-2014, 08:13 PM
I think you nailed it, that sounds dead on

Fishslayer99
12-08-2014, 08:22 PM
During spawning, male whitefish develop "Nuptial Tubercles" or pearl bodies on the scales of their flanks: the 3 rows of scales above the lateral line and 6 rows below. Less common on females. Was this what you observed?

BPman,

Good call, that is likely exactly what it is. I've seen whites like that a lot in early ice, very different looking to see the scales raised like that.

jhfong
12-08-2014, 08:40 PM
Where on Travers did you find the 5". A friend of mine measured 2" where the north arm starts to leave the main body; that's too thin for me. They heard the ice crack as crack as they walked out. I was hoping to go out this Sunday, first time ice fishing on Travers.

Young_Gun
12-08-2014, 08:52 PM
Not to derail but I saw 4-5 people fishing within the buoys at the spill way, caught their limits and went home. The one day I forget to bring my cell phone...

Just a reminder that fishing within the buoys is off limits.

Other than that, I landed 2 small pikes, 1 5.2lbs burbot and 3 whites (saw 100+ as well :sHa_shakeshout:)

Where did you find the burb?

MoFugger21
12-08-2014, 09:59 PM
Where on Travers did you find the 5". A friend of mine measured 2" where the north arm starts to leave the main body; that's too thin for me. They heard the ice crack as crack as they walked out. I was hoping to go out this Sunday, first time ice fishing on Travers.

There was between 8"-10" at the park on Friday. If your friend was fishing near the resort (as it sounds), 2" is possible I suppose, that portion of the lake along with near the dam are usually the last to freeze up.

Probably in the water.... :)

huntsfurfish
12-08-2014, 10:09 PM
There was between 8"-10" at the park on Friday. If your friend was fishing near the resort (as it sounds), 2" is possible I suppose, that portion of the lake along with near the dam are usually the last to freeze up.

Probably in the water.... :)

Week or two ago(day of round table at vulcan) east end was open still.

jhfong
12-08-2014, 10:13 PM
The for the advice! I'll start near the park.

hacman
12-08-2014, 10:34 PM

Thanks for the info, caught a couple over the weekend with rough scales, looked like little teeth pointing out. I figured it had something to do with spawning but haven't had time to read any info on this subject. This is a pic of a filet before skinning.

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa408/hacmann/LakeWhiteskin.jpg (http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/hacmann/media/LakeWhiteskin.jpg.html)

Crankbait
12-08-2014, 10:43 PM
The for the advice! I'll start near the park.

even if you see holes and evidence of fishing, if you feel uncomfortable on the ice, don't fish. it is about leisure after all. there will be plenty of days when the ice will feel more comfortable to fish on. but with this weather we're having maybe we'll get some good open water fishing by the new year. play safe have fun.

Hueston
12-09-2014, 07:20 AM
I was a little west of the boat launch at the village maybe 15' out

Macdrizzle
12-09-2014, 08:15 AM

In about 15 FOW. Jig and minnow at the bottom. It seems more hit and miss during the day. I've never targetted them specificially at night though.

BPman
12-09-2014, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the info, caught a couple over the weekend with rough scales, looked like little teeth pointing out. I figured it had something to do with spawning but haven't had time to read any info on this subject. This is a pic of a filet before skinning.

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa408/hacmann/LakeWhiteskin.jpg (http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/hacmann/media/LakeWhiteskin.jpg.html)

That;s a great photo of the tubercles! Thanks.