PDA

View Full Version : Just a suggestion.

waterninja
12-09-2014, 10:02 AM
I have been enjoying all the great threads from other members on the outings they have been going out on and really like the pics. that are being posted.
I only wish that more of you would let us know how thick the ice is on the lake your on. At this time of year there can be a large difference of ice thickness from lake to lake or even on same lake.
Just a suggestion. Good luck everybody.

jwloco
12-09-2014, 10:06 AM
The only way the ice thickness report would work is if they are also willing to tell you what lake they are at and that wont happen with most guys here. Knowing it is 6-8 inches at an undisclosed lake wont help LOL

waterninja
12-09-2014, 10:10 AM
The only way the ice thickness report would work is if they are also willing to tell you what lake they are at and that wont happen with most guys here. Knowing it is 6-8 inches at an undisclosed lake wont help LOL
Never asked anyone to reveal their honey holes, but a lot of members do say where they are fishing.
Eg. Buddy was fishing Pigeon yesterday and ice was 7-8 inches thick everywhere he fished.

Macdrizzle
12-09-2014, 01:42 PM
Seeing as how most lakes have an uneven ice distribution, I don't see how they can tell you ice thickness without telling you their honey hole location. For example, last year during first ice, the spill way in Travers was iced over (4 inches) and people were fishing on in it. But the area where the 3 arms meet was completely open.

That being said, I was at Travers last weekend. Ice was 6 in. :)

elkdump
12-09-2014, 02:20 PM
Ice is 14 inches,,,

Talking moose
12-09-2014, 02:41 PM
Talking moose has heard several different ice thickness reports on the same lake. From 2" to 4" to 6" to 10"!!!!! You can't go by these reports!!!!! Not sure where lake x is, but the ice reports sure vary!!! Won't be seeking that lake out...:)

Dale S
12-09-2014, 05:06 PM
This time of year your better off checking it yourself. All it takes is one typing error on a ice report and you could be getting the wrong info.

Lefty-Canuck
12-09-2014, 05:08 PM
This time of year your better off checking it yourself. All it takes is one typing error on a ice report and you could be getting the wrong info.

X2....I don't want to be blamed if I say it's 12 inches and someone goes through 2-3 inches

LC

RavYak
12-09-2014, 05:44 PM
Lakes right not seem to be very lake specific and even area specific especially since many have flood water etc due to our recent snow. I would be sticking to smaller lakes for now or at least close to shore, the ice is worse quality now then it was 1 week into the season...

Hopefully we get some good cold weather after this warm snap and can actually get some ice forming again...

waterninja
12-09-2014, 05:48 PM
X2....I don't want to be blamed if I say it's 12 inches and someone goes through 2-3 inches

LC
........Sighhhh........

RavYak
12-09-2014, 06:05 PM
........Sighhhh........

Can sigh all you want but there are lots of guys that will read a lake has 12 inches on it and just go drive out there instead of actually taking time to check thickness/quality...

Lots of other factors come into play too like how the lake we were on this weekend probably had 10-12 inches of ice but I bet it was weaker then the 6 inches we were fishing on 3 weeks ago...

WayneChristie
12-09-2014, 06:14 PM

This is why I wont post thickness on a lake. watched a couple guys on Sunday walk way out and drill some holes. then went back when they were packing up and drove their jeep out. no checks in between. Ice on that lake can be 30 inches in one area and I saw a truck go through the same day not far away on the same lake. check for yourselves!!!!

waterninja
12-09-2014, 06:35 PM
I guess if you blindly walk or drive onto a lake without checking for yourself when you get there you have no one to blame but yourself. I just figure thats it's nice to have some info. before you drive a couple hours and find out a lake is unfishable because of heavy flood water, or very deep snow, or even winterkill.
Guess it was unreasonable to suggest members on a fishing forum share info. like that with other members. My mistake.

linger
12-09-2014, 07:48 PM
Battle lake 7 to 8 in about 60 feet in front of boat launch

RavYak
12-09-2014, 08:33 PM
I guess if you blindly walk or drive onto a lake without checking for yourself when you get there you have no one to blame but yourself. I just figure thats it's nice to have some info. before you drive a couple hours and find out a lake is unfishable because of heavy flood water, or very deep snow, or even winterkill.
Guess it was unreasonable to suggest members on a fishing forum share info. like that with other members. My mistake.

Most lakes are fishable right now... Just be careful and don't go anywhere expecting to drive on...

Rikkles Fisher
12-09-2014, 10:08 PM
I seen some crazy person driving out on the opposite side of buck lake yesterday, went out quite a ways too. Just have to shake your head at some people.

Dale S
12-10-2014, 06:05 AM

I see your point about traveling a long ways. I'm lucky too live close to all the lakes I fish. If we could talk the fishinggeek in to giving a few ice reports, that would be good.

slamilton
12-10-2014, 07:57 AM

Agreed. Would be nice to have an idea in advance instead of driving and finding out not possible. Not going to blindly take someone's word for it but just looking for heads up.

huntsfurfish
12-10-2014, 11:42 AM

Times have really changed I guess(or people have).
If you are driving a couple hours and the lake is unfishable it would be a rare drive not to have any other fishable water along the way back or with a short detour. Any time I go fishing I always have an alternate res/lake or two to fish if a plan does not work out. And any info I get out of my trip is usefull to me anyway.
Sorry waterninja, so I dont really buy into the long drive part either.
As for ice reports I rely only on me and what I see.

waterninja
12-10-2014, 04:31 PM
Times have really changed I guess(or people have).
If you are driving a couple hours and the lake is unfishable it would be a rare drive not to have any other fishable water along the way back or with a short detour. Any time I go fishing I always have an alternate res/lake or two to fish if a plan does not work out. And any info I get out of my trip is usefull to me anyway.
Sorry waterninja, so I dont really buy into the long drive part either.
As for ice reports I rely only on me and what I see.
to tell you the truth i started this thread not realizing that there is already one going called "Ice reports" or something similar.
No need to say your sorry, as there is probably lots of info. there that people can critizise and disagree with if thats what floats there boat.
I do agree with you that people have changed, but there are still a lot of us that are willing to share any helpfull info. that we can.