PDA

View Full Version : Power Auger opinions and preferences?

Cowtown guy
12-09-2014, 04:23 PM
OK so I need a new auger.

I haven't bought one in 10 years. I have no idea what is around for decent names now.

I used to have a 3 hp 10" Jiffy. Although it worked pretty good most of the time, it seemed hard to get it to warm up and be able to catch that faster rpm setting that would really get it to cutting.

I normally fish for pike and walleye in the winter. Rarely trout or perch. Hence the reason for the 10" instead of 8". Now I am by no means a Wayne Christie here so I'm not really sure I actually need the 10". I don't think I have "needed" the extra 2" yet.

So what I would like is some real time experiences with what is out there right now. Name brands, price points, sizes??????

Thanks folks.

Jamie Black R/T
12-09-2014, 04:41 PM
im always on the hunt for a new one.

the two clear front runners for me are the ION electric and the strikemaster 4 stroke with honda motor.

haven't figured out a winner yet so im still yanking the cord on my 20 year old jiffy.

unclebuck
12-09-2014, 04:55 PM
Nils Master!!!!! Light, easy starting and digs like a mad badger. I have had one for 25+ years, and it still runs like new. One or two tugs on the cord and it flashes, whether it is first thing in winter, or out on the ice at -25. Shell premium gas & Opti 2 mix and you are good to go!!

Big Red 250
12-09-2014, 05:13 PM
I have no opinion on the augers that are out there now, but I would think an 8in auger would be right for you unless your gonna go after lake trout. I know that a 24lb pike will come thru an 8 inch hole altho it did touch sides.
I havn't ice- fished now for 6 years, but back when I did, my late 1980's Jiffy 3 horse never let me down. With a 10inch a walleye has room to turn around, even sometimes with a 8inch they will.

Geezle
12-09-2014, 05:35 PM
First question: how much do you want to spend?

linger
12-09-2014, 05:35 PM
if you were having trouble with your old jiffy don't buy a new one there even worse.every one ive talked to says all the plastic on then is a bunch of junk. seams the eskimo and nils master are the front runners right now. good luck on your new purchase :)

MountainTi
12-09-2014, 05:49 PM
Pretty happy with my Stihl. Always starts, and more versatile in that you can also put a dirt bit on it

fish gunner
12-09-2014, 05:54 PM
Find a jiffy 30 , take it to a reputable small engine shop . Done. twenty yeaes from now you'll still be laughing at the other plastic fantastics.

Cowtown guy
12-09-2014, 05:54 PM
First question: how much do you want to spend?

I'm a realist. I know good gear costs money. I don't mind paying as long as I don't pay for nothing but a name brand.

I am just starting to look so I don't know what to expect yet. I would guess that I am not leaving the store with less than 5 or 550 being spent?

EZM
12-09-2014, 05:58 PM
If I were to "do it all over again" I would be happy to purchase a Eskimo Z71 or a Z51 with no worries.

They are a little more money - but steel costs more than plastic that becomes brittle in the cold. Only 1.5 - 2lbs heavier - not a big deal.

Handles and parts are aluminium and steel, no cheap plastic, they start up and run nicely.

The only issue I had is I "over pulled" the recoil last year. Eskimo sent me a new one - no questions asked and got it the next day.

After I figured out all you need is a quick short pull after a couple primes - it has been like a hot knife through butter.

Keep the blades sharp, use premium gas in your mix with oil/stabilizer and you will never have an issue worrying about batteries, propane bottles freezing etc...

honker_clonker
12-09-2014, 06:00 PM
My ice fishing group all run strikemasters and we never have any problems. I run a laser mag personally and it's been flawless for the last 5 years. It will run you mid $400s generally but that is money well spent in my opinion. We have seen jiffy's and Eskimos come and go but the strikemaster is a solid performer. Solo and honda engines are tough to beat.

338Bluff
12-09-2014, 06:12 PM
Find a jiffy 30 , take it to a reputable small engine shop . Done. twenty yeaes from now you'll still be laughing at the other plastic fantastics.

I had a jiffy 30. After 10 years I am not laughing. I was actually grateful to the crackhead that stole it with my other gear. He did me a favor by removing a manic depressive motorized demon that my frugal Presbyterian upbringing would not allow me to part with. I mean it still ran....sort of.

It was the consummate tease, it would run just well enough that you either didn't take it in to the shop or when you did they couldn't find what was wrong with it. Once you were 2 hours from home, look out. It became a 30 pound door stop. I tried every type of premium gas, additives, conditioners, and SeaFoam. No dice.

I have started up with an Eskimo Z51 and it looks like it could be the one.

fish gunner
12-09-2014, 06:40 PM
I had a jiffy 30. After 10 years I am not laughing. I was actually grateful to the crackhead that stole it with my other gear. He did me a favor by removing a manic depressive motorized demon that my frugal Presbyterian upbringing would not allow me to part with. I mean it still ran....sort of.

It was the consummate tease, it would run just well enough that you either didn't take it in to the shop or when you did they couldn't find what was wrong with it. Once you were 2 hours from home, look out. It became a 30 pound door stop. I tried every type of premium gas, additives, conditioners, and SeaFoam. No dice.

I have started up with an Eskimo Z51 and it looks like it could be the one.

Oh how tragic .100 $ bucks to a certified small engine guy. My bill was 78 $ im at ten yrs never missed a beat ever. You nickled and dimed it to a 500 $ auger ??? Dont know what to say . Unlucky . Last time we done this, best other brand was one 15 yr old tuscamesh powerd eskimo and a thread full of 10-20 yr old jiffies:) it is a simple two stroke engine over engineered ×10. Mine has days on end of hole drilling three or four guys drilling till there harts content. Was one brand new 500 $ in the caroline store ..but ive already got one .200 $ second hand :sHa_shakeshout:off a guy just like you:)

Game Hunter
12-09-2014, 07:06 PM
I've got the z51 with a 8 inch bit. Cuts amazingly fast.
Ran it this year at -34 and last year -38 without windchill and kicked butt.
Only paid 320.00 on sale last winter :)

binnzer32
12-09-2014, 07:38 PM
One if the best. Nilsmaster powered by Tanaka.

Nils Master!!!!! Light, easy starting and digs like a mad badger. I have had one for 25+ years, and it still runs like new. One or two tugs on the cord and it flashes, whether it is first thing in winter, or out on the ice at -25. Shell premium gas & Opti 2 mix and you are good to go!!

binnzer32
12-09-2014, 07:40 PM
I run a Husqvarna. Light and awesome
But I got a steal on mine at 599

Mike_W
12-09-2014, 08:08 PM
Really happy with my lazer mag strikemaster with the design I prefer it to my old Husqvarna just a light but seems more solid IMO.

SamSteele
12-09-2014, 09:21 PM
I run a Strikemaster Mag2000. It has the 2 hp Tecumseh motor and an 8 1/4" auger. Starts every year, even without stabilized fuel and I have yet to do anything but change a blade.

SS

MountainTi
12-09-2014, 09:23 PM
I'm a realist. I know good gear costs money. I don't mind paying as long as I don't pay for nothing but a name brand.

I am just starting to look so I don't know what to expect yet. I would guess that I am not leaving the store with less than 5 or 550 being spent?

Won't be packing the stihl home then

kcward
12-09-2014, 09:38 PM
I have had a 35cc TML Auger for 30 years and it has been great...still great, just wanted a new one (don't let my wife see this post - I think i might have lead her to believe that it could be wearing out) :)
I went with the Strikemaster 4 stroke with the Honda motor and the 8" bit. It is very light, quiet doesn't feel the same as the old 2 stroke as far as revs though, but it seems to have lots of torque. I just bought the eskimo quick release shaft for it - see how that works. I bought the auger at the end of the season last year and drilled quite a few holes with no issues. I haven't started it up yet this year...this weekend I'm hoping!

I would also consider the Strikemaster lithium battery auger as well. Check out the Auger wars on Youtube.
Electric: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aM_bWY38bc
4-Stroke: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_m2hBP5t70
Electric & Propane: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIw9HhBqRUw

Definately becoming a Strikemaster fan!

Good luck with your search!

338Bluff
12-09-2014, 10:14 PM
Oh how tragic .100 $ bucks to a certified small engine guy. My bill was 78 $ im at ten yrs never missed a beat ever. You nickled and dimed it to a 500 $ auger ??? Dont know what to say . Unlucky . Last time we done this, best other brand was one 15 yr old tuscamesh powerd eskimo and a thread full of 10-20 yr old jiffies:) it is a simple two stroke engine over engineered ×10. Mine has days on end of hole drilling three or four guys drilling till there harts content. Was one brand new 500 $ in the caroline store ..but ive already got one .200 $ second hand :sHa_shakeshout:off a guy just like you:)

Say what??

MountainTi
12-09-2014, 10:18 PM
oh how tragic .100 $ bucks to a certified small engine guy. My bill was 78 $ im at ten yrs never missed a beat ever. You nickled and dimed it to a 500 $ auger ??? Dont know what to say . Unlucky . Last time we done this, best other brand was one 15 yr old tuscamesh powerd eskimo and a thread full of 10-20 yr old jiffies:) it is a simple two stroke engine over engineered ×10. Mine has days on end of hole drilling three or four guys drilling till there harts content. Was one brand new 500 $ in the caroline store ..but ive already got one .200 $ second hand :sha_shakeshout:off a guy just like you:)

say what??

420 friendly?

The Fisherman Guy
12-09-2014, 10:38 PM
He did me a favor by removing a manic depressive motorized demon that my frugal Presbyterian upbringing would not allow me to part with. I mean it still ran.....

This is funny! Too bad you got rid of it, I would've bought it

fish gunner
12-09-2014, 10:54 PM
420 friendly?

Nope, two Guinness .

TJG
12-10-2014, 06:09 PM
Went with weight reduction, Eskimo 33 cc Stingray. 8" is good enuf.

http://www.geteskimo.com/foundations/store/shopdetail.asp?params=S33Q8*52**Stingray__S33_Powe r_Ice_Auger
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v109/terry01/th_stingray33cc_zps0f12c5aa.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/terry01/media/stingray33cc_zps0f12c5aa.jpg.html)

Cowtown guy
12-10-2014, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the tips fellas. Just have to go and see what is actually in stock now.

338Bluff
12-10-2014, 06:57 PM
This is funny! Too bad you got rid of it, I would've bought it

Seriously....it got stolen with every single piece of outdoor gear I owned by some POS druggies. So technically I did not get rid of it.

I do have a 10 year old lawn mower that I cant bring myself to junk......so if you want a deal that any good Scotsman would be proud of just say the word. It's not manic depressive though. It just won't start.

338Bluff
12-10-2014, 06:58 PM

http://www.geteskimo.com/foundations/store/shopdetail.asp?params=S33Q8*52**Stingray__S33_Powe r_Ice_Auger
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v109/terry01/th_stingray33cc_zps0f12c5aa.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/terry01/media/stingray33cc_zps0f12c5aa.jpg.html)

Good choice. Simple and good value.

Scott N
12-10-2014, 09:32 PM

Bass Pro is advertising these for $279.99.... seems like a pretty good deal.

Geezle
12-11-2014, 08:47 AM
Bass Pro is advertising these for $279.99.... seems like a pretty good deal.

I have two Eskimo augers...an older 8" 33cc Ice Storm, and a new 10" Z51.

The 33cc is geared fairly low and cuts holes nice and steady...it doesn't really throw the shavings and doesn't soak your boots. It's also nice and light if you have to carry/drag it around a lot.

The Z51 is a different creature...it's a reasonable amount heavier, especially with the 10" bit, and it's geared to turn way faster. It definitely cuts quicker, but also throws a lot of ice and if you're not careful you can soak your boots.

That having been said they are both good units that have yet to let me down.

I think for a lot of people the M43 would be a good middle of the road kind of choice.