PDA

View Full Version : Hunted hard all day no dogs

davesilva
12-10-2014, 09:31 PM
So previously I have been having luck with coyotes 2/3 times bringing back a canine or two in the back of the pick up home

A trend I noticed from my success was the times I called in and shot coyotes was when it was colder -12 or colder

Today being plus 1 out we decided to go out to our regular calling spots we hunt coyote pretty carefully walking in quietly to our sets, we watch the wind, we sit against a back drop, don't move around too much etc.

Today we hunted hard from sun up to sun down and no success with coyote tracks all in the areas we were calling only managed to see one coyote pop his head out 500 yards out then run like hell once the wind changed directions on us! :budo:

Anyways a trend I noticed is they are much more responsive when colder temperatures hit but that's not a valid excuse to use as we hunted right at sunrise all the way to sun set in 5 different properties

Now maybe I'm thinking I need more access to more properties need to knock on more doors soon each area I hunt I try to give at least a one week break

Regardless I'm still waiting for some colder temps :angry3:

Now what do you guys think?

gerby
12-10-2014, 09:41 PM
makes sense
they're hungry when it's cold cause they gotta eat more to stay warm
but if you hunt in october chances are that a dumb young coyote comes in very easy regardless the temp.

coy coyote
12-10-2014, 09:52 PM
So previously I have been having luck with coyotes 2/3 times bringing back a canine or two in the back of the pick up home

A trend I noticed from my success was the times I called in and shot coyotes was when it was colder -12 or colder

Today being plus 1 out we decided to go out to our regular calling spots we hunt coyote pretty carefully walking in quietly to our sets, we watch the wind, we sit against a back drop, don't move around too much etc.

Today we hunted hard from sun up to sun down and no success with coyote tracks all in the areas we were calling only managed to see one coyote pop his head out 500 yards out then run like hell once the wind changed directions on us! :budo:

Anyways a trend I noticed is they are much more responsive when colder temperatures hit but that's not a valid excuse to use as we hunted right at sunrise all the way to sun set in 5 different properties

Now maybe I'm thinking I need more access to more properties need to knock on more doors soon each area I hunt I try to give at least a one week break

Regardless I'm still waiting for some colder temps :angry3:

Now what do you guys think?

You might find most of them hanging out in the trapper section of AO. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

waterhaulerhunter
12-10-2014, 09:54 PM
You're hunting the stands to much. The coyotes have heard your calls before and know what's going on. I hunt the same stands maybe twice a year. The coyotes are definitely more responsive when it's cold but that's not your only problem in my opinion.

Big Sky
12-10-2014, 10:01 PM
^^^^ agree

That's a problem with e callers. They sound the same all the time. The dogs will learn to recognize them. Don't over use your favorite sounds

Mix it up with some mouth calls.

And yeah, they respond better in the cold.

davesilva
12-10-2014, 10:34 PM
That's one thing for sure I'm going to have to call more old ukrainian farmers up

C Taylor
12-10-2014, 10:58 PM
The dogs have been moving around here the last couple days. With bait thawing out they are gulping it down.
I'd try some new spots if I was you

smith88
12-11-2014, 08:21 AM
How windy was it? I have found they do not respond if they cannot hear it.

I have found that each spot can be different when it comes to calling multiple times. I have some spots that I have pulled coyotes from over a mile away to the spot. But the key is making sure you get all of them.

fish_e_o
12-11-2014, 09:17 AM
this year has been amazing! with all the e-callers out there i'm slaying coyotes with my hand calls.

i've called in coyotes to every set i've been on except one this year

waterninja
12-11-2014, 09:21 AM
Sorry to hear that things have slowed down for you. It is tough to hunt the same properties all the time. Hope you have some good luck getting permission for some new locations, a lot of landowners who wouldn't give permission for big game hunting are much more receptive to yote hunters. Don't know many landowners who like coyotes.

coy coyote
12-11-2014, 03:50 PM
this year has been amazing! with all the e-callers out there i'm slaying coyotes with my hand calls.

i've called in coyotes to every set i've been on except one this year

Randy Anderson is that you. What calling all coyotes series are you filming now
Man I love this weather no snow,no snowmobile traffic. Snares are producing at max again.

davesilva
12-11-2014, 11:15 PM
Ya I was doing really good last week just need more spots got access to another 400 acres going out to get permission soon

Too funny I met a farmer that has a
Pig farm and he said he doesn't want anyone shooting the coyotes on his land because of all of his hay he gets a lot of mice in the area and the coyotes take care of them

davesilva
12-11-2014, 11:20 PM
A friend is taking me to wildwood apparently we have the chance at some Wolves while predator calling out there I sure hope so those buggers are too smart

Spinner57
12-11-2014, 11:45 PM
Take the weekend and head out to vermillion area. It's an absolute turkey shoot. We hit 2 with my buddies truck in one morning heading to our spot in the early AM for WT this season. Talk to the Mennonite farmers out there, all seem to own at least 200,000,000,000,000 acres and are more than willing to let you out there for yote because most of them raise livestock.

coy coyote
12-12-2014, 08:52 AM
Ya I was doing really good last week just need more spots got access to another 400 acres going out to get permission soon

Too funny I met a farmer that has a
Pig farm and he said he doesn't want anyone shooting the coyotes on his land because of all of his hay he gets a lot of mice in the area and the coyotes take care of them

Ya what is it with pig farmers. I have the same problem. Tons of coyotes there. It seems like he's raising them. Can't get permission to snare them and his neighbor a.mile down the road has coyote problems. It's like the qe2 around his pig barn . Mangy dogs keep left.

tikka250
12-12-2014, 10:04 AM
If you want to try something different for warm weather dogs try staking out a dead pit. Go out and get permission for large cattle ranches or feedlots. When you are talking with the land owner inquire about where they put dead cattle. Coyotes regularly go back and forth to this area often using the same well worn trails. Find the trails the coyotes are using or the bedding area where they lay up during the day (somewhere near the dead pit) then just make yourself comfortable and wait for the coyotes to come to you.

coy coyote
12-12-2014, 06:42 PM
If you want to try something different for warm weather dogs try staking out a dead pit. Go out and get permission for large cattle ranches or feedlots. When you are talking with the land owner inquire about where they put dead cattle. Coyotes regularly go back and forth to this area often using the same well worn trails. Find the trails the coyotes are using or the bedding area where they lay up during the day (somewhere near the dead pit) then just make yourself comfortable and wait for the coyotes to come to you.

I have a place like that is like shooting gophers. Five mangies ones to two good ones. Problem is I only get to go there twice a year in Jan.

tikka250
12-12-2014, 06:54 PM
I have a place like that is like shooting gophers. Five mangies ones to two good ones. Problem is I only get to go there twice a year in Jan.

haha almost sounds like we have the same spot mine is exactly the same.

coy coyote
12-12-2014, 09:58 PM
Funny thing is I was driving around the compose pile and there's coyotes tracks everywhere. I finally found them hold up in a buck brush patch 2 miles from the pile. It's the only bush for miles. First time I snuck In I though I had died. Coyotes sleeping very where. I had a model 10 savage with a top feed box mag. Good lord I was spraying bullets where very. out come 18 dogs. I was loading it single shot style. They had no idea what was going on.. those that left came back for another round. I knocked down seven and took home one. I hit that site for three days straight. The second day with double odd buck. Shot five more that looked like buffalo. Ty smelling coming out of that bush was horrible.