PDA

View Full Version : Gull Lake today (opener)

NCFlyfishin
12-11-2014, 04:02 PM
Hey guys just thought I would let everyone know that I was out at Gull today, ice wasn't as bad as I thought but SUPER slippery, about an inch of water on top but around 10 inches of decent good ice everywhere I drilled. But I wouldn't be risking driving on like some people were, just not worth it yet. Parked on shore at brownlows, there was ALOT of people fishing today. Fishing was pretty slow, I saw around 7 whites and only one was interested but didn't hook him. Also saw one pretty decent size pike but it wasn't interested either. That's ok though as I am excited because I landed my first Burbot ever. Gonna cook it up soon.
Will try to put up some pics in a bit

Fishslayer99
12-11-2014, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the info, hopefully it will pick up within the next few weeks. At least you brought one home for dinner. MMMM....Burbot, enjoy they are sure tasty!

binnzer32
12-11-2014, 04:49 PM
I had similar results. .. 18 perch. 1 burbot 4 pike. No whites... missed 2 only saw 2. Bit upper wire worn. One of my slowest days to date on gull.

Hey guys just thought I would let everyone know that I was out at Gull today, ice wasn't as bad as I thought but SUPER slippery, about an inch of water on top but around 10 inches of decent good ice everywhere I drilled. But I wouldn't be risking driving on like some people were, just not worth it yet. Parked on shore at brownlows, there was ALOT of people fishing today. Fishing was pretty slow, I saw around 7 whites and only one was interested but didn't hook him. Also saw one pretty decent size pike but it wasn't interested either. That's ok though as I am excited because I landed my first Burbot ever. Gonna cook it up soon.
Will try to put up some pics in a bit

yoteblaster
12-11-2014, 05:10 PM
Eating fresh perch right now from Gull, yuuuummy! Saw one gigantic pike, couple small ones and couple whites. Was targeting perch today only

NCFlyfishin
12-11-2014, 05:31 PM
What size were the perch you guys got? I didn't even see one today, I always caught them around the area I was in today last year. all I saw was the Burbot I caught, the nice pike that wasn't interested, and around 7 whites that were barely interested. wish I got more Burbot because that one was delicious! Lol never thought it could be so good!

spinN'flyfish
12-11-2014, 05:39 PM
sounds great, sounds like a great spot

fluxcore
12-11-2014, 06:15 PM
Left work early and got the first hole drilled and set by 1:30 ;) caught 6 whites and 9 perch, had a big burb break me off. Fished 12' deep ice was a good 8-10"

1bluZebec
12-11-2014, 06:28 PM
Nice to hear about your guys day on the opening day. Wish I could of been out but work had to be done. Anyway gull has always been like that for me, its either perch heaven or whites or pike and burbot. It seems like certain areas in that lake are home to a specific species. How many people did you guys see on the ice with a vehicle???? Did someone actually drive on??

Alberta Bigbore
12-11-2014, 06:28 PM
Saturday slay day!

1bluZebec
12-11-2014, 06:29 PM
I hope not... Yikes!

bwackwabbit
12-11-2014, 06:29 PM
Saturday slay day!

And it can't come fast enough!!!!

Bassett
12-11-2014, 06:36 PM
Saturday slay day!

I'll be somewhere on the lake as well!

fluxcore
12-11-2014, 07:25 PM
Nice to hear about your guys day on the opening day. Wish I could of been out but work had to be done. Anyway gull has always been like that for me, its either perch heaven or whites or pike and burbot. It seems like certain areas in that lake are home to a specific species. How many people did you guys see on the ice with a vehicle???? Did someone actually drive on??

I watched two cars drive on !! One passed us fishing and the wave that followed felt like two feet lol it scared the crap out of us and thankfully they kept their distance. I don't think it's safe to drive.

fluxcore
12-11-2014, 07:27 PM
I watched two cars drive on !! One passed us fishing and the wave that followed felt like two feet lol it scared the crap out of us and thankfully they kept their distance. I don't think it's safe to drive.

Even sticking close to shore!! Ice moaned and groned enough with us walking

1bluZebec
12-11-2014, 08:15 PM
That's crazy! It almost is angering someone would do that not just jeopardizing their life but others as well:-(

NCFlyfishin
12-11-2014, 08:21 PM
Yup I was at brownlows and saw at least 3 cars drive on, a bunch parked close to the shore but still on the lake, kinda still pushing it in my opinion. I'm gonna wait until there is at least 14inches consistent before I drive 9 or 10 is just pushing it in my opinion.
Be safe out there this weekend guys!
Hope to head out again myself again sometime next week

CanadianBadass
12-11-2014, 09:16 PM
Yup I was at brownlows and saw at least 3 cars drive on, a bunch parked close to the shore but still on the lake, kinda still pushing it in my opinion. I'm gonna wait until there is at least 14inches consistent before I drive 9 or 10 is just pushing it in my opinion.

Ive never Ice fished Gull before, so im not sure but....

Is it really that far out that you have to drive on to get fish ? :confused0024:

I don't mind pulling my sled and gear out! I don't even feel safe driving on 18" of ice, it just freaks me out sometimes, I eventually get over it, but I only stay on the beaten trail while driving on, I don't think I've ever made first tire tracks anywhere on ice ! lol ! That's Ballsy !

NCFlyfishin
12-11-2014, 09:29 PM
No not really to far out to get into fish, today I was more than happy to walk on, the reason a lot of people including me drive on on the lake is because I like to travel to other spots not accessible by roads, I have some honey holes I'm dying to check out but will not be the first one blazing trails, lol that's kinda crazy, but someone has to so good on whoever it is! Haha, Ya I'm just like you I will always stick to the beaten path and not travel very far off it. Kinda creepy, but last year the ice got close to 3 feet so I had no problem by the end of the season it was just the beginning that kinda creeped me out. But I just pulled the gear out today and got into some fish, so I will be doing that until more people are driving and I know it's safe

NCFlyfishin
12-11-2014, 09:46 PM
Here is a neat pic of the Burb I caught

1bluZebec
12-11-2014, 09:50 PM
Stocky dude!

FreshAirGetter
12-11-2014, 09:58 PM
Nice catch NCFly! I'm thinking of heading out there Saturday but don't know the lake very well and know about whiteys even less...haha..so will be a learning day. Debating between Gull and Sylvan, although I don't know either of the lakes and will probably be fishing alone trying to scout...lol...not ideal. As for crashing through the ice I did it last December - I just got into fishing in Aug and was hyped to fish. Went to Wabamun and saw everyone at shore fishing. I thought "what suckers, I'm going to go deep for the motherlode!". I went way far out til the shore fishermen were tiny dots, got nervous, then finally stopped. Then I thought "If I could just go 10 more feet I'd hit the jackpot!". Of course that's when Mother Nature got angry, and threw my greedy @ss through the 1st layer of ice. Good thing I landed on the 2nd layer and didn't fall through, but needless to say I was scared out of my mind. So I'll be walking for sure, but I don't mind pushing my limits here and there for the glory of the next catch :-)

Alberta Bigbore
12-11-2014, 10:20 PM

Years past for the opener.... drive on... turn and park near shore... if u drilled a hole, you would drill into dirt. Nothing wrong with that. Venturing out further.. no thanks. I dont drive on until i see shack city and a highway going our to the point.

A little walk out will get into something, better than riding the couch. Lol

Alberta Bigbore
12-11-2014, 10:21 PM
Ive never Ice fished Gull before, so im not sure but....

Is it really that far out that you have to drive on to get fish ? :confused0024:

I don't mind pulling my sled and gear out! I don't even feel safe driving on 18" of ice, it just freaks me out sometimes, I eventually get over it, but I only stay on the beaten trail while driving on, I don't think I've ever made first tire tracks anywhere on ice ! lol ! That's Ballsy !

Getting cold feet for Gull saturday CBA???? ;)

spinN'flyfish
12-11-2014, 10:24 PM
Here is a neat pic of the Burb I caught

Sweet burb, they codfish taste great!

allenford
12-12-2014, 11:15 AM
Sweet burb, they codfish taste great!

looks no snow on the ice?

yoteblaster
12-12-2014, 11:28 AM
Very little snow left

kinwahkly
12-12-2014, 12:20 PM
Very slippery need you're cleats for sure , so far landed 4 pike, 1 keeper , 2 perch and a whitefish, 9 inches of ice a few vehicles driving, not me that's for sure.

Macdrizzle
12-12-2014, 04:09 PM
that burb looks real cute from the angle you took that picture haha

kinwahkly
12-12-2014, 09:44 PM
No snow left, very slippery, cleats a must, fished around 8 feet of water, 8 to 9 inches of ice, some fools driving on, lots of pike action all day for me, caught 2 nice perch and lost 2 whites at the hole, bad line from last year, very warm and windy and ice conditions going fast.Moved around and didn't need to drill as there were enough holes around to fish, don't know how thick the ice is further out but didn't see anybody else out to far, the pike were hitting a small glow worm as were the whites and perch.