PDA

View Full Version : Crowsnest Lake....Ice fever

whitetail Junkie
12-12-2014, 11:53 AM
I got the ice fishing Anticipation/fever worse this year than in the past....Just bought all kinds of new gear,heater,etc and plan on buying a new Eskimo fat fish tent next week....looking to make it out to crowsnest lake in the near future/after xmas, when work allows...

Any one on here ever hook-up on a lake trout through the ice on the crowsnest lake or is it mission impossible?.....I was thinking of trying 30-40' of water for them.....is it worth having my second rod setup with a smaller presentation for the other trout species or are they generaly not in the same area as the laker's?....

Lake and golden trout are the only two alberta fish species I hav'nt caught,so The training wheels are ON!! :)

Cheers,WJ

niwrek
12-15-2014, 07:26 AM
I would love too give that lake a go as well. A little info would be awesome from anyone out there that knows.......

EZM
12-15-2014, 09:28 AM
I find the best thing to use for lakers are either buzz bombs OR white tube jigs. Tipping them with smelts or minnows (if regulations allow) and you are in business.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

whitetail Junkie
12-15-2014, 11:11 AM
I find the best thing to use for lakers are either buzz bombs OR white tube jigs. Tipping them with smelts or minnows (if regulations allow) and you are in business.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

It probably won't be until the new year,but i'm defiantly going!....I got lots of Bull trout gear which i've had success on,that I'm going to try,Aswell a couple Private messages from some local boys helped out lots....Tough lake to fish and whether I catch nothing or lots of fish,i'm going to have a great time in the mountains,and a even better time in the heated tent with the wife :tongue0017:

kevinhits
12-15-2014, 12:36 PM
I always wanted to fish Crowsnest lake but every time I drive by on the way to my cabin, the wind is pretty crappy...:sign0176:

spurly
12-15-2014, 01:13 PM
Please do not attempt Crowsnest, until we have another cold snap, the ice has a few open spots, and with the recent warm weather, and rains we have had in the Pass, it's not worth the risk.
I just got back from a nearby pothole lake, and it's open about 2 ft. Around the edges, once you get onto the solid ice, it's about 6"

Crowsnest gets a ton of wind, which, makes it even less stable.

recce43
12-15-2014, 01:13 PM
Ive only fished it in soft water season caught a nice 3lb rainbow from the boat in about 30 feet of water

whitetail Junkie
12-15-2014, 04:14 PM
Please do not attempt Crowsnest, until we have another cold snap, the ice has a few open spots, and with the recent warm weather, and rains we have had in the Pass, it's not worth the risk.
I just got back from a nearby pothole lake, and it's open about 2 ft. Around the edges, once you get onto the solid ice, it's about 6"

Crowsnest gets a ton of wind, which, makes it even less stable.

Good to know!....thanks

mike8423
12-15-2014, 11:34 PM
I'm new to alberta and have been eyeing up crowsnest, if you'd like a fishing buddy I'd love to hit the lake! I got all the gear and toys just no quad