PDA

View Full Version : Miller's Lake report

Bobby B.
12-14-2014, 08:48 AM
SuperDave and I arrived at Miller's around 11:00am. As we were unloading the truck, a fisherman leaving the ice stopped by for a chat. We introduced ourselves and learned that Joe owned a farm just north of Miller's and he fishes the lake frequently. Joe had been on the ice since first light and had hooked and iced 2 rainbows in 5 ft. of water.

Joe offered to pull our fully loaded Jet Sled Magnum with his Polaris to any spot on the ice we wanted. Thanks, Joe!

SuperDave and I started drilling holes just west of the aerator. We were looking for 5 ft. of water and weeds. We found 5 ft. of water was surprisingly close to shore but couldn't locate any weeds. After drilling matbe 10 holes, we packed up and headed to the east side of the aerator.

We started drilling holes and soon found 4.5 FOW on top of a weedy bottom, perfect spot to set up the tent and fish later that afternoon. Next we proceeded to drill holes looking for 10-12 FOW. Once we thought we were in a good spot we set up a deadman each plus a hole each for jigging. For my deadman, I had a trout worm on a #8 octopus hook suspended 1.5 ft below the bottom of the ice. SD had a similar set up on his tip up. I was jigging a 1/8 oz Gold and Chartreuse Slender Spoon tipped with 1 pink Gulp maggot. SD was jigging a Swedish Pimple tipped with a bit of worm. We had zero bites so decided to move.

In short, we moved around every 45 minutes or so but continued to have zero bites. In addition, we changed up or presentations. Nothing, nothing, nothing. Aaaargh! We are we doing wrong?!! We consoled ourselves by commenting on how no one else appeared to be catching anything either. Not much of a consolation really.

I then drilled a hole 1/2 way between where we were currently fishing and where we had set up the tent earlier. SD set up his tip up over that hole and within a minute had hooked and landed a 17-18" rainbow.:sHa_shakeshout: I hurried over to make a video of his catch on my new iPhone6, my first ever iPhone. Well, SuperDave landed his rainbow and the colors were more vibrant than any rainbow I could recall. On the downside, I screwed up making the video so have neither a video or even a photo of SD's fish. Sorry SuperDave. In my defence, it was pretty much my first attempt on my first ever iPhone and I'm 57 yrs old. What the Hell do I know about technology? LOL! However, I definitely know what to do for the next time!

We drilled some more holes close to the same one SD had just iced his beautiful rainbow out of, and filled with new hope and great expectations, got down to some serious fishing. Nothing...Nada....Zip. Oh, boy.

We then agreed it was time to move into the tent in anticipation of the upcoming late afternoon feeding frenzy. According to the advice we had been given, our setup was PERFECT;4-5 FOW over a weedy bottom. Well, we fished until 6:00pm and saw only one fish. That one fished made an agressive swipe at my Chartreuse Jim Jig, missed, and swam away. Aaaargh!

As for catching fish, it wasn't great day. As for being out fishing on a beautiful warm and sunny day, awesome.

If anyone wants to provide us with some do's and don't, please help us out.

Bobby

waterninja
12-14-2014, 11:09 AM
Congrats on having an enjoyable day even though fish count was low. I love fishing Miller though it can get very crowded.
West of aerator is mostly gravel/mud bottom and east (as you discovered) is where it gets weedy.
Believe it or not I have had better sucsess there on hard water in about 2-3 ft of water. For some reason they like to cruise the shallows.
Good-luck.

ctown
12-14-2014, 11:25 AM
I agree with waterninja on the depth too. They like it shallow in that lake in the winter. Not saying they won't bite other places. This season my buddy and I are going to float the arrerated spot just to see if that's the real secret. Even though it won't be ice fishing.

Good luck with the iPhone. You'll be an addict in no time.

Bobby B.
12-14-2014, 01:15 PM
Thanks, guys. It seems counter intuitive but we'll try fishing even more shallow next time. Maybe I should pack a long fork and forget about the rods:126fs3187425:

Bobby