PDA

View Full Version : Tulibee Time!!!!

Drewski Canuck
12-10-2008, 11:12 AM
At Baptiste the Tulibee start spawning on the south lake sandbar at this time, which brings on the biggest pike of the year. Anyone else find this in other lakes?

I am REALLY curious if anyone found where the Tulibee spawn in December at Calling. There were a few 25 pounders taken in the nets last year by my neighbour (first nations), so I know that there are some absolute crodocdiles which should finally be vulnerable.

Drewski

Alberta Bigbore
12-10-2008, 02:28 PM
How big are these tulibee's?

2430M
12-10-2008, 02:42 PM
How big are these tulibee's?

Not very it seems

"As a group, the overall colouration of the body is silvery with the colour of the back varying from almost black to blue, green, gray, or light tan. While size varies with species, in the prairie lakes it commonly ranges from 0.2 to 1.4 kg, although larger individuals have been caught. In 1944, one weighing 2.5 kg and measuring 572 mm in length was taken from Great Slave Lake."

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/zone/underwater_sous-marin/cisco/tullibee-hareng-eng.htm

Alberta Bigbore
12-10-2008, 02:46 PM
yeah... i dont think ive ever seen one in our waters. I know in Manitoba they catch them ice fishing

2430M
12-10-2008, 03:07 PM
yeah... i dont think ive ever seen one in our waters. I know in Manitoba they catch them ice fishing

I haven't seen any? Heck I didn't even know what they were till today :o

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
12-10-2008, 04:44 PM

iVE SEEN SOME GUYS IN EARLY SEASON AND LATE SEASON CATCHING THEM , AS THEY FREEZE THEM AND USE THEM FOR BAIT , ME IM TO LAZY FOR THAT , I JUST BUY IT . BUT APPARENTLY YOU CAN CATCH THEM ANYWHERE THERES LAKE TROUT . BUT THATS WHAT I WAS TOLD , MAKES SENCE CONSIDERING WE WERE ON COLD LAKE WHEN WE SEEN THESE GUYS CATCHING THEM.

2430M
12-10-2008, 04:45 PM
iVE SEEN SOME GUYS IN EARLY SEASON AND LATE SEASON CATCHING THEM , AS THEY FREEZE THEM AND USE THEM FOR BAIT , ME IM TO LAZY FOR THAT , I JUST BUY IT . BUT APPARENTLY YOU CAN CATCH THEM ANYWHERE THERES LAKE TROUT . BUT THATS WHAT I WAS TOLD , MAKES SENCE CONSIDERING WE WERE ON COLD LAKE WHEN WE SEEN THESE GUYS CATCHING THEM.

Thanks for the added info BBJ :wave:

honda450
12-10-2008, 04:50 PM

X2

Walleyes
12-10-2008, 04:59 PM
Tuliee are quite common in many N.E Alberta lakes you can fish a life time on a lake and never actually see one either through the ice or in open water. I have fished L.L.B. Lake and Heart Lake, and many other northern lakes tht contain Tulibee and I have never seen one through the ice nor have I ever seen any caught. But I do know they are there because I have seen net fulls of them being pulled from the very same waters.

Tuliby are not considered an edible fish apparently they are very bad for worms and do to there small size people just don't bother.

Fishin' Fool
12-10-2008, 06:09 PM
There's lots of tulibee aka cisco in Lake Isle. They are often mistaken for whitefish.

Here's a pic and a link to the page with a little more info:

http://www.sfishinc.com/herring1.jpg

http://www.sfishinc.com/fisht5.htm

hope this helps,

FF

Drewski Canuck
12-10-2008, 06:38 PM
Its easy to tell the two apart. Tulibee have the bottom jaw extending beyond the top jaw. Whitefish are the other way around. Tulibee are the staple of big pike and walleye. However, tulibee are usually about 8 - 12 inches tops, though some get up to 16 inches, especially hybrids. This is why large herring work so well on tip ups for big pike.

Drewski

Izumi
12-10-2008, 06:54 PM

There must be a different name for them, I've heard of them but they are not listed in Cold lake under that name.

http://sunsite.ualberta.ca/Projects/Alberta-Lakes/images/tables/56_Table_6.jpg

Izumi
12-10-2008, 07:05 PM
From what I have read Cisco and Tullibee are the same thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tullibee

We have Cisco in lots of our lakes...

Albertabowhunter
12-10-2008, 09:44 PM
Never seen one at lake isle. I've fished there many years with or with out the camera. If there were I'm sure we would have seen them by now.

Pigeon lake has a lot, fish for them like whites

Fishin' Fool
12-10-2008, 10:13 PM
I've got a pic of me holding a couple lake Isle tulibee from two winters ago, I'll try to find it to post.

Either way, Ayr can vouch for this as well as he was the one to fillet them and find the worms.

FF

Ayr
12-10-2008, 10:30 PM
**Official Voucher** :)

They were tulibee foresure, another more subtle difference between tulibee and whitefish is that the tulibee have a champagne colored body while the whites are silver. And yes they were wormy :sick:.

FF,
Could that have been Lac La Nonne, maybe ??

Ayr.

Shmag
12-10-2008, 10:33 PM
There are lot's of tulibee in alberta lakes, sometimes commercial fisherman will try to pass them off as small whitefish. Yes they are very vulnerable to worms. Once seen a pile of them on slave left for the birds by netters. Cut a couple open and they had about 10-15 worms in the filet's alone. they look very similar to the whitefish.

Fishin' Fool
12-10-2008, 11:08 PM
I stand corrected Ayr. Lac La Nonne it was.

FF

Mike_W
12-10-2008, 11:22 PM
My dad caught one a couple years ago at slave lake thought it was a whitefish tell we looked closer and they have a trout like mouth it was about 12 inches.

Apparanlty people actually fish for them suppose to be good in the smoker.

Too many worms for me to even consider.

Man cant wait to get out to gull for some whites tho!!

FisherPotch
12-11-2008, 11:28 AM
Are tulibee and cisco the same species? I know they are very similar also close to the lake whites. But they always say "cisco and tulibee" Not "cisco or tulibee"

Either way they are the bread and butter of a pike's diet when they are around. Anyone know where a guy could get his hands on some?

bisonhunter
12-11-2008, 09:49 PM
up here we scoop our ciscoes out of the river every october, but in six years of catching them i have never caught one over 10 inches. therefore i would believe that ciscoes and tulibee are two different fish although i would also assume related.....ciscoes make great bait through the ice for big pike. my best is 38lbs out of great slave lake with lots of 20-30lbers every season.
bh

FisherPotch
12-12-2008, 07:06 PM
Those are some hog pike!!! 38 lbs!!!! :love:

Would love to get me one of those. No doubt a deadly bait they can't resist.

Leon Chartrand
03-01-2011, 07:40 PM
Are tulibee and cisco the same species? I know they are very similar also close to the lake whites. But they always say "cisco and tulibee" Not "cisco or tulibee"

Either way they are the bread and butter of a pike's diet when they are around. Anyone know where a guy could get his hands on some?

I am a commercial fisherman on Lake Manitoba and catch lots of tulibees every day I sell some to people for smoking and I occasionally smoke some myself. They say in some lakes they are full of worms or parasites, but I've never noticed any in our lake. The tulibee we catch are usually about 7-10 inches and are excellent Pike bait as well as Burbot and Catfish. For Pike I use the whole fish, but for Burbot and Catfish I cut them into chunks. If you're looking for some to try for bait give me a call and I'll send you some. 1-204-646-2068.

Dust1n
03-01-2011, 08:07 PM
tulabee have a underbite and a whitefish has a over bite easy wayy to tell to some guys post above me

chubbdarter
03-01-2011, 08:11 PM
tulabee have a underbite and a whitefish has a over bite easy wayy to tell to some guys post above me

can you draw a picture? because i have no idea what your post says

nicemustang
03-01-2011, 08:20 PM
Another 3 year old thread, sigh.

bisonhunter
03-02-2011, 08:07 AM
by the way this is from the current fishing regs, just so you know.....

Use of the freshwater species cisco (Coregonidae), also called tullibee or lake herring, is prohibited from use as bait.

here's where i go to catch mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkyXx1E7mk4

Daceminnow
03-02-2011, 08:19 AM
I am a commercial fisherman on Lake Manitoba and catch lots of tulibees every day I sell some to people for smoking and I occasionally smoke some myself. They say in some lakes they are full of worms or parasites, but I've never noticed any in our lake. The tulibee we catch are usually about 7-10 inches and are excellent Pike bait as well as Burbot and Catfish. For Pike I use the whole fish, but for Burbot and Catfish I cut them into chunks. If you're looking for some to try for bait give me a call and I'll send you some. 1-204-646-2068.

set-up?

Jwood 456
03-02-2011, 07:24 PM
I remember when I was fishing lesser slave 5 years ago off of canyon creek. I would see a school of 20 odd looking silvery fish swim by every once in a while on the fish camera. After reading this thread, I'm thinking those were probably tullibe I saw. I remember my fishing partner tried to catch some on a weighted fly, but they would just swim by.