PDA

View Full Version : Ice Fishing

SportHuntingHelp
12-16-2014, 07:53 AM
Ok I blame this thread on my neighbor and his bucket of beautiful perch. I am planning on taking up ice fishing again have not done it in years. What are your recommended must buys when I head to the store today. My buddy has auger and tents so that part is covered.

Any input would be great.

Thanks

Mike_W
12-16-2014, 08:15 AM
If you are only after perch I would suggest a small medium light action rod, many rods will come with reels that atent the best but will do. The fishin hole carries a abu garcia rod reel combo that white and pretty decent.
I would get some four to six pound fishing line. Make sure to buy the ice version of line, I would suggest a super line like suffix ice. I personally run a superline then tie a small barrel swivel with 2-3 ft of flurocarbon "leader"
For oerch tiny jigs or tiny spoons in various colors and I usually tip with maggots.
I would suggest also getting a bucket to keep your stuff in and a ice skimmer to clean your hole of ice.

Now my personal must buy is a mechanical flasher a LX5 more specifically but it is a $500 investment that isnt "needed".

Now if you would like just PM me where your neighbor is fishing for these perch :)

Good luck

Macdrizzle
12-16-2014, 08:56 AM
Little green teardrop and minnow head for bait.

Bassett
12-16-2014, 09:05 AM
Swedish pimples, cicaidas, buckshot spoons, jigging raps a decent fillet knife and pliers. Mike_W got the most of it covered.

Like he said electronics are nice but not necessary.

A bucket or sled for your gear.

EZM
12-16-2014, 09:37 AM
A tiny rattling rap is deadly on jumbo perch when they are aggressive ..... put one or two of those in your winter tackle box.

I can't tell you how many times we have sat there soaking bait, jigging bait or wiggling spoons with no action and when you switch over to a rattling rap ....... the game is on !!!

Doesn't always work, but some day it's the most productive presentation on the ice.

Jack&7
12-16-2014, 09:42 AM
Just as an FYI:

Canuckian Tire has a sweet deal on as I just bought one as a present for my neighbor who is also getting back into fishing.

It is a combo pack by HT Enterprises. Two rods...a 24" med action rod and reel which works well for pike and walleye and a light action rod for trout and perch. Both are equipped with spinning reels and spooled with crap line (change that). Comes with a carrying case and all for the low price of $32!

waterninja
12-16-2014, 09:55 AM
Congrats to you Sport for getting back into ice fishing.
One thing you'll need is a good shovel. I like a flat metal or alluminium shovel (grain shovel?). Always comes in handy on the ice or if you get vehicle stuck.
Another nice thing to have is a heater for tent, and don't forget a flashlight or headlamp for packing up in dark.
Have fun and good luck.

The Fisherman Guy
12-16-2014, 10:26 AM
The guys have you covered for what you need to get back into it. A few more inexpensive additions will make your kit compete:

Cloth (some call it a fiberglass) measuring tape. Dollar store sells them 3 for $1.

Filleting board. Canadian tire, Wholesale both have them, makes cleaning and skinning your catch much, much easier.

Needle nose pliers.

Bonus items you may not use on every outing, but you'll be very happy to have with you when you need them:

Ice cleats for slippery, non snow covered ice.

Balaclava

Jaw spreaders for toothy critters like Northern Pike

Keep a copy of the current fishing regulations in your vehicle, and/or download the iFish Alberta app for ease of reference.

Good luck!

Bassett
12-16-2014, 11:54 AM
The guys have you covered for what you need to get back into it. A few more inexpensive additions will make your kit compete:

Cloth (some call it a fiberglass) measuring tape. Dollar store sells them 3 for $1.

Filleting board. Canadian tire, Wholesale both have them, makes cleaning and skinning your catch much, much easier.

Needle nose pliers.

Bonus items you may not use on every outing, but you'll be very happy to have with you when you need them:

Ice cleats for slippery, non snow covered ice.

Balaclava

Jaw spreaders for toothy critters like Northern Pike

Keep a copy of the current fishing regulations in your vehicle, and/or download the iFish Alberta app for ease of reference.

Good luck!

Totally forgot ice cleats!

Princess auto has a good deal for a semi good quality pair. 5.99$ got a pair for my
Girlfriend and they worked good. They tend to for small though just a heads up.

Some little weights are nice sometimes, or a depth finder that you hook into your line.

A pair of rubber gloves with grip work well with slimy fish just to throw with your supplies.

Perhaps a little foamy for you butt or feet.

SportHuntingHelp
12-16-2014, 11:59 AM
Lots of great info guys I appreciate all the help. I will get set up and will hopefully see you out on the ice.

huntsfurfish
12-16-2014, 02:18 PM
And if you are planning on fishing fairly deep for perch(or walleye)(over say 25 feet). An underwater camera. Helps you select the larger perch.

Plus its just plain fun to have a camera any way!

Good luck and good fishin!

EZM
12-16-2014, 04:14 PM
And if you are planning on fishing fairly deep for perch(or walleye)(over say 25 feet). An underwater camera. Helps you select the larger perch.

Plus its just plain fun to have a camera any way!

Good luck and good fishin!

There is no way I could go back to fishing without a camera ....... takes all the guess work out of your presentation, and once you dial in on the jigging speed, stroke and depth ..... you are in business.

Allows you to see how the fish are reacting and adjust as you go.

The best invention ever !

If you have the budget for it ..... get one.

huntsfurfish
12-16-2014, 04:50 PM
I also would never go without one.

Even if I couldnt use it, it would still be in the sled(along with 1 or 2 others).:)