PDA

View Full Version : Winchell lake

rigpiggler
12-16-2014, 08:57 AM
I just moved very close to winchell lake and looking forward to getting back from overseas and getting some fishing in next week. Is there any suggestion on what kind of lures and bait I will need.

RayL42
12-16-2014, 10:24 AM
Its been a few years since I ice fished Winchell, however in the past i had luck using power bait green or pink, and shrimp.

In my experience the fishing slows considerably after December.

Good Luck.

fish gunner
12-16-2014, 10:44 AM
Ive had success near by with orange tube baits and power bait . Drill a spread from bottom of drop off 25'irrc into very shallow 2-3' under the ice . Active fish will be shallow neutral fish will hold off the drop off . Shrimp and worms can also produce . A little exploration in the area and some door knocking can bring some interesting results. Tight lines welcome back to the world :)

rigpiggler
12-16-2014, 10:47 AM
Thanks for all of your tips

goose
12-16-2014, 11:19 AM
Drop into the fishing hole in Calgary and ask for Kelly, he and his staff will help you select some great trout lures. I always use worms there on small trout jigs and yes fish before the end of December as the fishing always drops off after that due to oxygen levles I believe. I would try the east or west end of the lake. I have a trailer near by and fish that lake every weekend in the summer and a few times before the end of december.

cheers
Goose :sHa_shakeshout:

rigpiggler
12-16-2014, 06:16 PM
Thanks for that and hopefully see ya out there.

spinN'flyfish
12-16-2014, 06:56 PM
all great advice there, there's a bait shop up in Botrell if you do forge t the bait

keberle
02-06-2015, 01:08 PM
any luck ice fishing here? I was a few years ago but had absolutely no luck. Does it winter kill?

Sir. Kenneth
04-07-2015, 02:07 PM
Anyone know if ice is off yet? Itching to get out on my pontoon boat

purplerock
04-08-2015, 07:24 PM
who knows the ice condition? Please post the ice condition. Thank you.:)

purplerock
04-14-2015, 10:04 PM
Saturday we went to the lake, ice still covered the lake. we took the boat, sat on the boat ice fishing. :sHa_shakeshout:

Gillfisher
04-15-2015, 02:21 PM
Winchell Lake is rarely ice free until the end of Apr into mid May, I have never caught a fish or had a stike after ice off until the lake has been restocked with the 4" to 7" bows.

Going back 20 yrs ago we used to catch some really nice sized bows in the 1 to 2 lb range which would indicate a lack of winterkill. Now I am not convinced that it doesn't winter kill. In a usual year we can catch and release 100 or more fish easily none of them are of any real size. By the end of Sept into Oct most of the fish are in the 9 to 11" range.

Next winter I am going out there with my new color underwater camera.

Gillfisher