PDA

View Full Version : Report a Poacher

kanonfodder
04-04-2007, 11:21 PM
Had an experience today in which I felt I needed the report a poacher hotline number.....guess what didn't have it with me so phoned a pal he gave it to me. So here"s my little poll query...for the record I now have it programmed on my cell.

Dick284
04-04-2007, 11:28 PM
You forgot to add that it's on every piece of paper you get from good 'ol IBM, it's in the regs, it's on bumper stickers, billboards, key chains, your WIN card, and gee whiz even 411 has the number.

Like Albert Einstein said "I never memorize anything I can look up".

Tree Guy
04-04-2007, 11:30 PM
Kannon, good idea for a poll, but edit that please. We don't really know what the question is and the responses are limiting.

kanonfodder
04-04-2007, 11:37 PM
D'oh forgot it was on my win card thanx Dick..lol..my buddy forgot that also. But as the vehicle in question didn't have a bumper sticker I thought the poll still important enough to ask, what happens if you don't happen to have your WIN? I hate payn almost a buck for 411 so meh here is my poll like it or hate it

PS the last was meant as sarcasm and I hope to hell that the people responding to the 3rd choice are just yanking my chain otherwise it's simply disturbing.

Dick284
04-04-2007, 11:45 PM
Well this much I know, I have my WIN card in my wallet right next to my drivers licence, I have more IBM crap, and regs, and SRD give aways like key fobs, tape measures, and oh yea even a RAP business card in the truck.
Even my company truck has RAP on our phone list. So in order for me to partcipate in your poll you'd have to expand it a bit.
BTW:
What's a dollar if you thought enough to call RAP. Small change when you think what's on the line.

kellyandbeth
04-04-2007, 11:51 PM
we Always have a set of Regs be it hunting or fishing in the truck and that has the number it in also

kanonfodder
04-05-2007, 12:05 AM
All valid points guys, I guess because I was at work and had no phonebook I just relied on my buddies ability to give me the number...which he did. SO bottom line I needed it I got it I used it. I was just curious is all.

Dick284
04-05-2007, 12:12 AM
Not putting you down in any way, you used the resources you had and it worked that's all that really matters.
BTW:
Good on you. well done.

killerbren
04-05-2007, 12:54 AM
Just out of curiosity, what did you see happen?
Brennen

gopherslayer
04-05-2007, 08:19 AM
Poll seemed pretty straight forward to me :D

honda450
04-05-2007, 09:30 AM
I think there are a few choices missing as

1. I do not have the number programmrd in my cell.

2. I have not memorized the number.

3. And I do care.

Therefore I could not vote. Can't vote if your candidate is not on the ballot.

honda450
04-05-2007, 01:16 PM
I have no use for poachers. My point being is that I would collect as much information as possible if the case arose. And no matter if I had cell phone coverage or not report ASAP.

honda450
04-05-2007, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the smiling faces. I think we are on the same wave but we only know one another through this computer. I know what you mean and I hope you know what I mean. The answer

REPORT POACHERS

1-800-642-3800

Telus Mobilty #3800

Dan
04-05-2007, 05:06 PM
I agree with bearbait. I think we should let people know that we all are watching over our resources.
If I were to see a guy with his bucket over his limit. I would let him know that the regs state a limit of one. He has three ways to react...
1) apoligize and thank me and put the extra fish back
2) Claim ignorance and do nothing
3) tell me to mind my own business

For 1) I wouldnt call it in
2) I would call it in but even if F&W didnt show up, he would know people are watching his actions which would make him paraniod
3) I would call it in and go out of my way to get the license plate.
I think if everyone did this, there would be alot less poaching. Protect resources like its ours, because it is.

SnowRoad
04-05-2007, 07:45 PM
(This message was left blank)

varmitr
04-06-2007, 09:52 AM
ive reported people when they have poached, ive also been reported for doing what, the reporter beleived was illegal.
if i saw someone loading a ram into the back of a truck in banff, id probably speak up.
but if someone shoots 11 grouse instead of 10, bah.
problem is that most folk have no idea when the law is broke.
remember there is alot of things that we consider legal...
shooting gophers out of the truck window.cutting your deer at your buddies house.
when it comes to the law, there is no room for emotion and it is conveyed within the letter of that law.

varmitr
04-06-2007, 10:07 AM
Remember the discussion we all had a couple months ago, over dispatching a wounded animals for ethics sake and not letting nature take its course...how did you vote this time??
if you voted you would RAP and also agree its morally correct to put an animal out of its misery. your in a dilemma..
if your buddy ethically dispatched one...would you report that action???

geezer55
04-06-2007, 10:21 AM
I have to agree with honda450, didn't vote because of lack of choices. I would report a poacher if I saw someone doing something illegal. No, I don't have the number stored in my cell phone and if was it wouldn't matter because where I spend most of my time a cell phone doesn't work in 95% of the area, but I would take down as much information as possible and report it later. Do I know the number by heart, no, but the number can be found around my camp in hunting and fishing regulations, on report a poacher whistles, on report a poach pencils and on the WIN card in my wallet. I do think that wildlife officers do care but because of the lack of manpower they have to make their choices of what cases they handle.

gopherslayer
04-06-2007, 07:56 PM
didn't vote because of lack of choices

Maybe I'm reading the first post the wrong way...but I don't think so. The poll question is very simple and straight forward. Do you have the hotline programed on your phone, know it by heart or just don't report anyone.

The question never did have anything to do with ethical rights of who would report who for what...quit reading into the poll with things that are not there. Not picking on you geezer..there are lots of people with similar posts that are confusing me..just seems like a simple question to me :(

honda450
04-07-2007, 08:03 AM
Perhaps because of the lack of choices I find the results are invalid, I just don't believe it.

gopherslayer as I do not fit into any of the catagories in the poll do I vote just for the sake of voting? Thats why this poll is skewed. Not picking on you either.

Bearbait
04-09-2007, 01:49 PM
What happen to your post's ?????

RockyMtnx
04-09-2007, 04:09 PM
no choice for me to vote

kanonfodder
04-09-2007, 05:43 PM
I kinda realize the choices were limiting but holy use some common sense here......thanks for the suggestions and advice

Mods please lock this thread it's too limiting and done.