PDA

View Full Version : Gel Cell battery

briverb
12-11-2008, 07:15 AM
I use a Portable Fish Easy II fish finder in all seasons. I've had my rechargable 7A gel cell for about 6 years with heavy use and I think it's time for another one. Doesn't seem to hold a charge as long and makes my fish finder act funny. I was heading down to pick one up today, but thought I'd check to see if anything has changed in the past 6 years. Are the gel cells still the best way to go? Anywhere in Calgary that has the best deals or a bigger selection? Also, my charger does not have a charge indicator on it. Are there gel cell chargers out there now with charge inidicators?

Thanks for any info.

AxeMan
12-11-2008, 01:19 PM
Most important thing about lead acid gel cells is that you must keep them fully charged during storage. If you don't they will sulphate (lead sulphate on the plates will crystalize) and the capacity will be reduced significantly. This is a non-recoverable condition. A smart charger with a float charger is ideal. If you get 6 years out of a gel cell you are doing well. Usually they have a usefull life of 4 to 5 years.

bubba 96
12-11-2008, 08:20 PM
Ive bought mine from b&e electric just west of shaw gmc turn west at the timmys on blackfoot.. cheaper than wholesale or fishin hole..that or try voxcom home security a friends ex worked there and they sell for 25 bucks I believe...

Albertadiver
12-11-2008, 09:49 PM
PM me,

I'll put you in touch with the best battery shop in Calgary. My dad own The Battery Doctors in Red Deer, and he refers everyone to this company in Calgary if they're not in the Red Deer area.