PDA

View Full Version : Off Road Tires

RyanGSP
04-08-2007, 02:31 AM
Looking to buy some Off Road tires for my new truck. I am having some difficulty on finding the ones for me. After talking to alot of people I am hearing varrying optinions and opinions on all the different types of tires. Problem is its just what they have heard, alot of them have only run 1 or 2 different types.

I am looking at the Goodyear Wrangler MTR's (buddy ises them for over 1.5 yrs on same set and very little wear), Mickey Thompson Baja Claw (heard they are an awsome tire all I look at have very little wear after a year of use), Mickey Thompson Baja Radial MTZ ( heard they are good and bad get chewed by gravel), Yokohama Geolander (heard the gravel chews them up), and Cooper Discoverer STT ( same tread pattern as the Goodyears but they dont throw rocks, I have heard they are a soft tire and can get chewed up by gravel). I was also reccomended to the Dick Cepek Mud Country but havent looked into these tires yet.

Anyone have any experience with any of those tires? I do alot of highway and gravel/mud driving.

honda450
04-08-2007, 11:20 AM
Another thing you might want to consider is the rating of the tire, in other words how much weight are you going to carry.

kellyandbeth
04-08-2007, 12:04 PM
The BF goodrichs Mud terrian tires I think

WONKA
04-08-2007, 02:29 PM
If you are into serious off roading, I would go with the coopers, just see dave down at elrich tire. They were the best all-around off roader I ran on my hunting unit(its got 585 000 miles on it) My experience with BF's wasn't good They just don't wear well

RyanGSP
04-08-2007, 02:38 PM
Im not going to be climbing rocks and stuff with them but when im hunting I generally take the road less taken so they need to be able to handle mud, snow, sand, water.

WONKA
04-08-2007, 02:57 PM
They are about the best mud tire you can drive the highway with. I got 5 seasons out of mine, lethbridge - the pass almost every weekend. With posi front and back these things got me through places I needed to chain up the BFG's to get through ( yep, V-bars chew up the mud real good when you get in a pickle) I am running michelin m/s now, the bearclaws are better suited for offroading

RyanGSP
04-08-2007, 06:38 PM
Wonka any idea what 33's on 17 inch rims going for? My buddy told me 1600 for 4 on his dodge.

WONKA
04-08-2007, 10:17 PM
I would just give him a call, always gotten a fair deal from them

RyanGSP
04-08-2007, 10:33 PM
I will call him tomorrow thanks.

Cordur
04-08-2007, 10:54 PM
Just a note here about what most everyone I know is now running and soon to be me as well. The Mud Terrains are probably the best wearing tire for average city driving that I know of. Couple of friends have put 100,000km on theirs with less than 50% tread wear. They do very nice in the snow and haven't seen them with any problems in some pretty nasty off roading that broke suspensions long before the tire was unable to claw it's way through. Just my observations. They aren't too expensice either. Your probably looking at $1000 for a set of 5 (assuming you need a spare).

RyanGSP
04-08-2007, 11:08 PM
Cordur is that the Dick Cepek Mud Terrains?

Rookie Recurve
04-09-2007, 11:46 AM
I ran Pro-Comp Mud Terrains. Awsome tires, but noisy and wear fairly fast (with an open diff.).

tires
04-09-2007, 12:26 PM
I use BF Mud terrains, they are extremely noisy on pavement, takes forever to wear them out, excellent in the mud and rocks, snow excellent, but i wouldn't recommend using them when it gets icy cause it's the same as having four hockey pucks on when you try and stop. I wouldn't even drive my Bronco when it was icy , but you can go to some tire shops and for 10-15 bucks get them siped which will make them better on slick roads.

bearbait
04-09-2007, 02:11 PM
i run 37" bfg mtr's on my dodge and find there the best tire out there..they wear good on all surfaces and are awsome in the mud..just depends on what your useing them for i guess..
i dont find them load on the hiway at all but my truck is lifted and a diesle...have run the toyo and wrangler and had them wear pretty bad on gravel...my truck sees gravel mud snow ice and the bfg's never let me down.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b217/bearbaits/DSCF0197.jpg
rob