PDA

View Full Version : Marcum VS485C vs Aqua-Vu AV715C

Kokaneeranger
12-22-2014, 11:17 AM
Good day guys, just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or opinions on these cameras, the Marcum is quite a bit more expensive - I'm wondering why? Im looking to keep my kids interested while in the shanty this winter but don't want to break the bank or buy a POS. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

lds
12-22-2014, 11:31 AM
I don't own one. But I hear from people that do is that whatever one you own you are happy with. Guys with a higher budget buy the more expensive one and sware by it and guys with a smaller budget buy the cheeper one and sware by it. Sorry I don't have advise first hand but there were no responses yet so I figure maybe this will help a little. I'm sure you will get more replies. I think there was an identical post for this topic not long ago. Have a search and see what you can find

The Fish King
12-22-2014, 12:04 PM
I recently upgraded to the marcum 485c. Absolutley awesome. Video quality is superior to the aqua vu. The packaging design that come with the marcum is spot on as well.
Marcum all the way

lds
12-22-2014, 12:12 PM
I recently upgraded to the marcum 485c. Absolutley awesome. Video quality is superior to the aqua vu. The packaging design that come with the marcum is spot on as well.
Marcum all the way

I've been watching everyone's posts about the different camera systems and it always seems to be the same thing. I understand marcum is a better system as the price reflects but people that have owned both always just say marcum is better. After owning both would you not recomend an aqua-vu if you can't afford the marcum? Or is it still a good option for the price?

EZM
12-22-2014, 12:15 PM
I have the Marcum 825 ........ the brightest, clearest camera available on the market. Spend the money on a superior Marcum camera and you won't be disappointed.

The 485 is an outstanding product ....... substantially better, in many ways, compared to the Aqua View 715.

Kokaneeranger
12-22-2014, 01:13 PM
thanks guys, thinking maybe the Marcum.

DanJ
12-22-2014, 11:11 PM
The Marcum 485 has the newest Sony image sensor (the correct term, instead of "camera"). It is designed for low light surveillance technology and it is based on blue light, which Sony found penetrates through low light better than red light. Aqua Vu as I understand it has a mix of red and blue for their supplemental lighting. I believe the 485 has the best quality / value.

BrainTan
12-23-2014, 01:58 AM
If your just looking to see whats under the ice, go Aquavu. If you want to see the a more refined picture of the same go marcum. One advantage is cost, the other picture quality (note both stand behind their product)

The Fish King
12-23-2014, 07:10 AM
I've been watching everyone's posts about the different camera systems and it always seems to be the same thing. I understand marcum is a better system as the price reflects but people that have owned both always just say marcum is better. After owning both would you not recomend an aqua-vu if you can't afford the marcum? Or is it still a good option for the price?

I picked my 425 up in the US but the price between the marcum and aqua vu 715 was neglible. My desicion was between them and the vexilar fish scout. At that price point the marcum is the beat availiable option. Plus their customer service is exceptional.

huntsfurfish
12-23-2014, 09:30 AM
The Marcum 485 has the newest Sony image sensor (the correct term, instead of "camera"). It is designed for low light surveillance technology and it is based on blue light, which Sony found penetrates through low light better than red light. Aqua Vu as I understand it has a mix of red and blue for their supplemental lighting. I believe the 485 has the best quality / value.

One thing to remember/keep in mind is:
any light that is visible(light up the room) is unlawful to use on a camera.

Probably should have a separate thread, but
I wonder if they will change that in the new regs? I think probably not.

huntsfurfish
12-23-2014, 09:39 AM
I have neither one of those units.

However, I have an older Aqua Vu Scout and it has a very good picture. Was and still am very happy with it. Even have an extra camera with 100' cable which is good for deeper water fishing.

Personally I favor Marcum and have 3 upper end models but would see if you can find any reviews on the AV. I suspect they are pretty good too.

dsl
12-26-2014, 09:34 AM
Just received a Marcum from under the tree. Can't wait to try it out. Is it worth picking up the camera panner?

calgarygringo
12-26-2014, 09:52 AM
I have the Aqua View 715 so can only comment on that one. Got it on a good sale price and had some gift cards to spend too so didn't really cost anything out of pocket for me.
The few times we have been out it has worked well. Both times go through the whole day and still had lots of battery left so that was good as well. I have been out with some of the guys with the higher end Marcums and yes the picture is way better but if not super hd picture at a budget price is what you want this one is fine. We use it more for the entertainment and how the fish takes the bait so for us it has been a good purchase so far.
I would like to hook it up to the video output and record to my tablet which is the next phase.
Watch for pricing on both as I have seen the Aqua Vu as low as lower $200's and the Marcum in the lower end of $300's as well. Most of thre time when I was looking they were just under 300 for the aqua vu and around just under 400 for the marcum at most places I checked.