PDA

View Full Version : Brookies

madcarpenter
12-11-2008, 04:08 PM
wheres everyone catching the colorful footballs??? Not asking for anyones secret spot, just want an idea of where to start looking??

-Madcarpenter:wave:

sneer
12-11-2008, 04:28 PM
Check the fishing stocking reports for lakes stocked with brookies (http://www.mywildalberta.com/Fishing/StockingReports.aspx)

Being that your from Lacombe, Chickakoo out between Lac St.Anne and Wabamum might be a little far of a drive...I'm sure there's ones that are closer to you, just check the reports.

Rumtan
12-11-2008, 04:29 PM
Pick up a Barry Mitchells book, read the regs, look at the stocking reports http://www.mywildalberta.com/documents/2008Stocking.pdf

, If you cant find them in those 3 places you may want to bribe a regular on the site.

rider pride
12-13-2008, 11:50 AM
We have them in Victor lake and the 2nd lake at Piere Grey's lake in the Grande Cache area.

Jester
12-13-2008, 11:55 AM
wheres everyone catching the colorful footballs??? Not asking for anyones secret spot, just want an idea of where to start looking??

-Madcarpenter:wave:

Try Kinky in shallow water..3/4's across the lake on the left hand side..

Look for natural spring holes..

Yeah...I gave it away so sue me...:tongue2:

madcarpenter
12-13-2008, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the help!!!:wave: I think I'll try tomorrow!

-Madcarpenter

Buck Krazy
12-13-2008, 04:14 PM
Not a very nice thing to do Jester!:(

happy perch fisher
12-13-2008, 08:05 PM
Thxs alot jester hope u have one of your secret lakes ruined now.

Greasemonkey
12-14-2008, 12:56 PM
don't bother wasting your time at pierre grey been going there for years now make it a reguler trip in dec. been there 3 times this year and seen a total of 5 fish and caught one, the lake is dead or the brookies have gotten really smart and dont hang out in the usual hot spots, one of the locals said the lake was netted by the local band not sure, but do know that the fishing isn't what it use to be.

rider pride
12-14-2008, 04:54 PM
I haven't been to pierre grey's this winter yet but i caught brookies all summer . They aren't easy but they are there.

Dark Wing
12-14-2008, 05:14 PM
don't bother wasting your time at pierre grey been going there for years now make it a reguler trip in dec. been there 3 times this year and seen a total of 5 fish and caught one, the lake is dead or the brookies have gotten really smart and dont hang out in the usual hot spots, one of the locals said the lake was netted by the local band not sure, but do know that the fishing isn't what it use to be.

You were a little late for the spawn. When I use to fish that lake the 2nd and 3rd week of November were deadly. It's a stocked lake so its kinda hard to fish out.

Greasemonkey
12-14-2008, 09:20 PM
guys ive been going to the same place for six years now always caught lots of fish saw lots of fish let go lots of fish saw three different people that live in grande cache they all said the same thing lake is fished out just because a lake is stocked doesnt mean it cant be fished out if someone put there net in the right place they could have the lake destroyed in no time at all, and all i'm saying is that in my experience pierre grey is not the lake it was last year or any of the other years i fished it, 3 days sun up to 3 or 4 , 5 fish seen one caught there is something wrong, which is to bad had some good times on that lake

torrens
12-14-2008, 10:29 PM
was out last week and hammered them, five feet of water, hooked 33 between the four of us, kept four that got hooked pretty bad, biggest about four pounds, lots of brookies in there!!!!!

Jester
12-15-2008, 02:27 AM

ahh give me a break....shesh..:rolleye2:

Like you never told a friend about a good spot..:rolleye2:

Leverboy
12-15-2008, 10:55 AM
Attaboy Jester!!!! There is plenty of fish to go around. Kinky is far from a secret anyway. We need to stick together in todays day and age. Nothing wrong with steering a fellow sportsman in the right direction.

lambski
12-15-2008, 10:56 PM
Kinky is great for the family but the footballs are elsewhere:wave:

Marshal
12-24-2008, 11:54 AM

"secret lake"? That's cute that you thought it was all yours being that its in a provincial recreation area, 5km off a major highway and listed in various documents as being stocked with brook trout.

The Fisherman Guy
12-24-2008, 12:07 PM
Share the general info, that's why we're here. The secrets, will remain secrets.

happy perch fisher
12-24-2008, 01:28 PM

Attaboy Jester!!!! There is plenty of fish to go around. Kinky is far from a secret anyway. We need to stick together in todays day and age. Nothing wrong with steering a fellow sportsman in the right direction.

Kinky is great for the family but the footballs are elsewhere:wave:

"secret lake"? That's cute that you thought it was all yours being that its in a provincial recreation area, 5km off a major highway and listed in various documents as being stocked with brook trout.

You guys either have'nt been around long info to see what these fourms can do to lakes or just being plan ignarent about it. I never fished kinky before i didn't care much for brook trout fishing. I just posted my comment for the people that are going to see there lake destroyed by thousands of lurkers that hover in this borad looking for freebies. You guys did'nt realize this stuff you think there will always just be another lake. While there won't be preaty soon the way u guys are going at it. You guys post about every lake in 200km radius around the citys. Sure u will have lake like hasse mouronville and cardiff that are full of 4 inch perch. Look at hasse 2 years ago this time i was catching football perch steady now look at it full of 6 and under perch. Thats mainly because of one poster kick starting the whole rush there telling everyone he caught 1 15inch perch out there. Then everyone started posting about it and by feburary almost all the decent sized perch where removed from 30+ cars there everyday. Look at what happened to star lake. Only took 1 guy posting about the 5 pound trout he caught. That sent a flood of meat fishermen there trying to bag every last one of them. Now look at it full of mostly this year stock and not much else. So please think before u post. Use genral information like The fisherman guy said. Or if you must tell someone tell them in pm. Not tell 1000+ lurkers looking for freebies. Oh yah for the guy thats going to say lakes are for everyone to fish not just you. I belive that 2 but i also belive u sould have to work to find this lake not just find it out by lurking on a website.

happy perch fisher
12-24-2008, 01:33 PM

Theres a clear difference from telling a friend and what i'm saying. Unless the thousand of lurkers on this website are your friends jester. I have told a friend before not saying i have'nt. But theres a huge difference bewteen telling 1 person and telling a message borad with more then a thousand members plus a couple thousand lurkers. If u feel u must tell someone about a spot then send them a private message didn't tell the world.

wideload
12-24-2008, 04:19 PM
how do you get to kinky lol

Marshal
12-24-2008, 10:23 PM
You guys either have'nt been around long info to see what these fourms can do to lakes or just being plan ignarent about it. I never fished kinky before i didn't care much for brook trout fishing. I just posted my comment for the people that are going to see there lake destroyed by thousands of lurkers that hover in this borad looking for freebies. You guys did'nt realize this stuff you think there will always just be another lake. While there won't be preaty soon the way u guys are going at it. You guys post about every lake in 200km radius around the citys. Sure u will have lake like hasse mouronville and cardiff that are full of 4 inch perch. Look at hasse 2 years ago this time i was catching football perch steady now look at it full of 6 and under perch. Thats mainly because of one poster kick starting the whole rush there telling everyone he caught 1 15inch perch out there. Then everyone started posting about it and by feburary almost all the decent sized perch where removed from 30+ cars there everyday. Look at what happened to star lake. Only took 1 guy posting about the 5 pound trout he caught. That sent a flood of meat fishermen there trying to bag every last one of them. Now look at it full of mostly this year stock and not much else. So please think before u post. Use genral information like The fisherman guy said. Or if you must tell someone tell them in pm. Not tell 1000+ lurkers looking for freebies. Oh yah for the guy thats going to say lakes are for everyone to fish not just you. I belive that 2 but i also belive u sould have to work to find this lake not just find it out by lurking on a website.

You complain about "what these fourms can do to lakes" but yet frequently participate on them.

If you've never fished Kinky before then why would you care to post your intial response in the first place...seems to me you were just a little board on a cold december day. By the way, this lake is far enough away from the city to deter most daytrippers.

Given the fact that all of the lakes that you have mentioned are noted in Mitchell's guide and well known to most edmonton fishermen, I think you're the one thats a little "ignarent" (your spelling, not mine) when you think that these can all be your little secret. There are lots of wicked, not so well known lakes out there, YOU just need to make a little effort to find them and stop worrying about the waters that everyone else knows about.

"I belive that 2 but i also belive u sould have to work to find this lake not just find it out by lurking on a website." You're gonna have a hard time convincing me that you worked to find the lakes that you've mentioned. You have this attitude of entitlement that just doesn't sit well. And besides, why wouldn't you want to help a fellow fisherman out, especially new fishermen who may need a little guidance. I'm sure that you learned what you know from others and didn't just figure everything out on your own.

I can appreciate wanting to protect natural populations and ecosystems but the lakes you have mentioned are within an hour of a city of 1milion people. There will always be heavy pressure. Live with it but don't be afraid to get off the beaten path....

Ishpah
12-24-2008, 10:45 PM
This rant about Kinky Lake really amuses me. HPF, if you did your homework, you would know that it will take the Mad Carpenter 4:42:07 hours to travel the 380Km to get to Kinky Lake. I don't think that even the guys from Edmonton would travel to that Lake. Seems to me that there would be some good fishing for Mad Carpenter much closer to home.

happy perch fisher
12-24-2008, 11:03 PM
If you've never fished Kinky before then why would you care to post your intial response in the first place...seems to me you were just a little board on a cold december day. By the way, this lake is far enough away from the city to deter most daytrippers.

If you read most my post it isn't just about kinky lake i was making a point about what has been happening. It won't discrouge people. People will drive 3hours to keep 1 walleye.

Given the fact that all of the lakes that you have mentioned are noted in Mitchell's guide and well known to most edmonton fishermen, I think you're the one thats a little "ignarent" (your spelling, not mine) when you think that these can all be your little secret. There are lots of wicked, not so well known lakes out there, YOU just need to make a little effort to find them and stop worrying about the waters that everyone else knows about.

How was that every my little secret. People where slowly finding about it. But alot of lakes would'nt of been destroyed in a couple of months if people started posting on message borads about it. Berry micheal guide give basic info and alot of info on it is out dated and ins't accurate anymore. Thats like reading the fishing regulation and seeing perch limit 15 at lac st anne. Then u go out there thinking your going to catch your limit no problem. Even throw the odds of u catching any are very low considering perch population is almost non-existant there anymore. Yah so if i make effort to go find that lake by myself. Then say i tell u for example and make u promise u won't tell anyone. But instead u go and post it on this message borad and tell everybody about. By your logic this is perfectly alright. What you've been saying is some people sould work there ***** off to find these lakes. But then everyone that looks on a message borad sould find out where it is also.

I belive that 2 but i also belive u sould have to work to find this lake not just find it out by lurking on a website." You're gonna have a hard time convincing me that you worked to find the lakes that you've mentioned. You have this attitude of entitlement that just doesn't sit well. And besides, why wouldn't you want to help a fellow fisherman out, especially new fishermen who may need a little guidance. I'm sure that you learned what you know from others and didn't just figure everything out on your own.

How do i have a attuide of entitlement. I worked to find my lakes. I never fish lakes people post on here because there often over crowded and the smaller lakes are ussually always fished out or full of 4 inch perch. Why sould this fellow fisherman and new fisherman be handed freebies to some awsome spots why sould'nt they have to work like me and most other fisherman have to find these spots. I will give away advice and some basic info to lakes that everyone knows about like slave gull and pigion. I figured most of my stuff by trial and error and by my grandpa.

i can appreciate wanting to protect natural populations and ecosystems but the lakes you have mentioned are within an hour of a city of 1milion people. There will always be heavy pressure. Live with it but don't be afraid to get off the beaten path....
While what so i can't make any day trips around the city and have a decent day. If that guy did'nt post about star last year i probably still be catching those 5+ pound trout out of there. If no one posted about hasse last year. It would of been a hell of alot better this year. I'm not saying these lakes would of stayed lakes would of stayed in the shape there where 2 years ago. But there sure as hell would'nt of been fished out in a couple of month.

Also Marshal u sound like a lurker that got ****ed off because i told people to stop giving away freebies to people like u. Notice the 3 post u have.

happy perch fisher
12-24-2008, 11:08 PM
This rant about Kinky Lake really amuses me. HPF, if you did your homework, you would know that it will take the Mad Carpenter 4:42:07 hours to travel the 380Km to get to Kinky Lake. I don't think that even the guys from Edmonton would travel to that Lake. Seems to me that there would be some good fishing for Mad Carpenter much closer to home.

Kinky is a very small lake it does'nt take many people to do alot of damage to it.

Marshal
12-24-2008, 11:28 PM
Hey HPF,

I heard of this really secret lake within the city limits. It starts with an "h" and is in the NE part of the city. Can't tell you where exactly to fish but i can tell you that it gets stocked every year. Hopefully too many people don't find out about it otherwise it might get fished out and they may have to restock.

Happy fishing,

Marshal

happy perch fisher
12-24-2008, 11:53 PM
Hey HPF,

I heard of this really secret lake within the city limits. It starts with an "h" and is in the NE part of the city. Can't tell you where exactly to fish but i can tell you that it gets stocked every year. Hopefully too many people don't find out about it otherwise it might get fished out and they may have to restock.

Happy fishing,

Marshal

Wow nice comment your talking about a slough everyone knows about. If thats what u consider a secret no wonder your so desperate for freebies. Maybe u sould u get and try finding some lakes of your own. Oh wait never mind your to lazy to get and find your own lakes. Thats why u lurk message borads.

Marshal
12-25-2008, 05:40 AM
Hey HPF,

Happy fishing,

Marshal

Wow nice comment your talking about a slough everyone knows about. If thats what u consider a secret no wonder your so desperate for freebies. Maybe u sould u get and try finding some lakes of your own. Oh wait never mind your to lazy to get and find your own lakes. Thats why u lurk message borads.

Hilarious!!!! My last comment was so full of sarcasm that a 3 year old would have picked up on it........and somehow you missed it. Have a couple more egg nogs pal.

LACOMBE JACKSON
12-25-2008, 12:23 PM
Hey Mad Carpenter,

I'm not sure if you've heard of this lake. Send me an e-mail at luvfishin@shaw.ca
Always happy to help out a fellow Lacombian

walleyeca
12-25-2008, 02:04 PM
The spelling is horrible!

happy perch fisher
12-25-2008, 08:28 PM
Yah i know its preaty bad i only had a few minutes to type it.

Hannie
12-26-2008, 02:40 AM
Yah i know its preaty bad i only had a few minutes to type it.

WOW.......

Talking about drawing attn to something that likely would have gone unnoticed.

If that lake was actually your secret spot you have bigger problems.

madcarpenter
12-26-2008, 09:25 AM
Thanks for all the help guys, and gals!!! I was just looking for a spot to take my new to fishing wife, so she can see some of the colorful footballs and maybe catch a few!!!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!!!
-Madcarpenter

Bushrat
12-26-2008, 02:58 PM
Can someone tell me where to catch steelhead in the north saskatchewan:rolleyes:

TundraBuck
12-26-2008, 07:47 PM
Can someone tell me where to catch steelhead in the north saskatchewan:rolleyes:

Right below the bridge on the way out from Rocky. :lol:

wideload
12-26-2008, 08:34 PM
merry x-mas everyone most lakes have fish . thanx to you all your input will be put to good use take a kid fishing have good ice fishing season :)

uicehole
12-27-2008, 12:57 AM
While most fishable waters are public knowledge and how the fishery is at a particular pond or lake can be found with a little bit of research, we must still exercise a little discretion in revealing the exact locations of some of these smaller gems. Many of these smaller bodies would be ruined by a weekend onslaught. True, many of these lakes/ponds are stocked but it takes years for a fish to get to lunker status so we need to give some of these guys a chance. I for one, would be none too pleased if a lake at one time held 4 lb'ers now only produce 8 inchers. One purpose of this board is for sharing info but sometimes too much info is a bad thing. I confess I lurk more than I post but I don't expect secret spots but rather hints to add to the thrill of the chase. Bottom line is, use your best judgement.

ULTRAlite
12-27-2008, 04:54 PM
I don't expect secret spots but rather hints to add to the thrill of the chase.
The chase is half the fun isn't it?? :)