PDA

View Full Version : Seems a lot of trucks on gull now

fluxcore
12-23-2014, 12:36 PM
All kinds of trucks on gull, everything from a S10 to a dually welding rig! Just an observation I'm stil trucking it it on foot and have measured 10" avg with water coming up out of the hole when cars and trucks are driving in the area. When was the last truck to drop in on gull?

thrude1
12-23-2014, 12:44 PM
measured 14" on Saturday about 150 yds out from brownslows entrance we were about 50yds northeast of everyone else

fluxcore
12-23-2014, 12:46 PM
measured 14" on Saturday about 150 yds out from brownslows entrance we were about 50yds northeast of everyone else

I've measured just under 15" also 9" left of lows 30ft out yesterday so ya it varies

EZM
12-23-2014, 12:56 PM
All kinds of trucks on gull, everything from a S10 to a dually welding rig! Just an observation I'm stil trucking it it on foot and have measured 10" avg with water coming up out of the hole when cars and trucks are driving in the area. When was the last truck to drop in on gull?

10" of ice and a guy drives a one ton dually with a welder/tool box on back?

I bet he is "right on the edge" ....... I'd point my go pro camera on that moron.

There is no point telling or warning anyone until someone dies. People just get ****ed off when you try and look out for them.

If someone were to break through, I would feel compelled and obligated to risk my life to save their lives. As much as "I'd love to think" I would just say "I told you so" there is no doubt I would risk my life to save someone else without a second thought.

Lazy, inconsiderate and dangerous behavior like this drives me nuts.

Best thing to do is move away from them so you don't have to risk your life to save his. His inconsiderate dangerous stupidity can cost your children their father.

This should be a criminal offense. If I was in the US I would sue him.:argue2:

fluxcore
12-23-2014, 01:15 PM
It's the ice thickness fluctuations that are scary, I think the high winds during the first real freeze are to blame and it's still early. Lots of safe ice obously if no one has gone through but still spots that are very dangerous! Its follow the leader for the most part one truck goes then a bunch, if you are driving stick to a route that's been safe, it's not the time to explore new spots in your truck. EZM I'd help out to regardless if he is a moron or not, ya it was a full rig tool boxes and all.

retten
12-23-2014, 01:32 PM
10" of ice and a guy drives a one ton dually with a welder/tool box on back?

I bet he is "right on the edge" ....... I'd point my go pro camera on that moron.

There is no point telling or warning anyone until someone dies. People just get ****ed off when you try and look out for them.

If someone were to break through, I would feel compelled and obligated to risk my life to save their lives. As much as "I'd love to think" I would just say "I told you so" there is no doubt I would risk my life to save someone else without a second thought.

Lazy, inconsiderate and dangerous behavior like this drives me nuts.

Best thing to do is move away from them so you don't have to risk your life to save his. His inconsiderate dangerous stupidity can cost your children their father.

This should be a criminal offense. If I was in the US I would sue him.:argue2:

Always said CFS/ Can't Fix STUPID !!!:snapoutofit:

yoteblaster
12-23-2014, 01:36 PM
Am at Brownlows right now, many trucks have driven past me on the ice. Never had the water in the hole move at all. Ice here is about 11 inches

Okotokian
12-23-2014, 01:40 PM
Idea of driving on ice scares the %$#^ out of me. I know people do it safely all the time, but my lack of experience makes me nervous about it. I'll walk. :)

yoteblaster
12-23-2014, 01:46 PM
Ya I walk as well. Trucks all around me but walking is safer and the exercise won,t hurt

nsaskpirate
12-23-2014, 02:09 PM
I watched late 90's chev halfton drive onto the ice towing his ice shack behind him on saturday the 20th. Must have been a local guy who knew his ice well but where I was sitting there was about 7 inches of good clear ice and maybe 4 of crappy frozen slush ice. I was pretty amazed to see it personally, but he made it with no harm nor foul. Ill stick to walking for a while, I could use the exercise.

WayneChristie
12-23-2014, 02:15 PM
One spot I fish went from almost 12 inches of good ice to open water now. In a week. Lazy though I am Im going to be walking out for a while yet. Killing me since I got my shack done and cant use it!

yoteblaster
12-23-2014, 02:22 PM
Good ole chinooks!

marty1
12-23-2014, 02:45 PM
Ice in my view is never safe in this province I've seen trucks break through 30 inches of ice,and for the locals well I think they get to comfy for their own good had a guy drive right up to my hole few years back ice was 16 inches told him to get away from me ice is not safe,he gives a little attitude mumbles under his breath (rookie). 3 days later was found in his truck in 20 feet of water.just saying

Bassett
12-23-2014, 04:40 PM
Had 13" at Wilson's last Sunday. A guy went through on Saturday. All day Sunday the ice was poppin crackin moanin and groaning.

huntsfurfish
12-23-2014, 04:52 PM
EZM i agree.

The worst I ever encountered was 30 years ago out at Tyrell(sp) South east of Lethbridge. Has High Salinity. Ice is kind of soft.
Anyway was looking to catch some very large RBT out of there.

Lake was not froze over yet as it was early. South end frozen ice maybe 4-5 inches. Tied rope to bumper(100') the other to me(makes recovery easier) and drilled holes periodically. Went out to end of rope, open water another 100 yards out. Drilled holes and started catching fish. While walking out you could feel ice sag.

Hear a vehicle behind and a little down from me. figured another fisherman pulled up. Suddenly I rose up about a foot and realized it was a bow wave from a little pickup driving on the ice. Wow! Stayed for about 1/2 hour or so more while I put stuff away. Then left, thinking I would probably drown trying to save someone even dumber then I was. Never heard anything, so assume he made it home that day. We were the only 2 people out there.

I dont object to loosing my life to help someone but there are limits!
I had a little girl to go home to.

RavYak
12-23-2014, 05:33 PM

Saturday...

Can't fix stupid though, best thing to do is just avoid the lake until ice thickens up a bit more as you don't want to have your truck/gear sunk because some idiot drives too close to you.

I wanted to try Gull this winter but am having big reservations after seeing the crap show pictures already. I go fishing to relax and get away from the city...