PDA

View Full Version : New Auger. 8" or 10"?

Scott N
12-24-2014, 10:48 AM
For you guys / gals who use power augers, is there much of an advantage going with the 10"? I usually am fishing for trout, and I'm still weighing my options with my auger decision. I might start pike fishing more often if that makes any difference. I've never had an issue with hole size using my manual 8", but that sucker gets hard to turn later in the season.

huntsfurfish
12-24-2014, 11:05 AM
Takes a pretty big fish to not to make it through an 8" hole.

Foot or leg can go through a 10" hole.
Kids present can swallow hole leg. Even small footed adult.

Have both 8 and 10. Usually use 10" for derbys.

With 8" can do a double hole if you really feel its necessary.
8" cuts quicker.

When really cold you get hole shrinkage - 10" better.
If inside(tent) not usually an issue.

Bet that didnt help much.:)

zoolander89
12-24-2014, 11:08 AM
I would just stick with an 8" if you find yourself needing a bigger hole down the line when going after large fish then buy a 10" leg. You can drill holes a lot faster with an 8" which makes finding that sweet spot on the lake a lot easier.

Pikebreath
12-24-2014, 11:10 AM
Takes a pretty big fish to not to make it through an 8" hole.

Foot or leg can go through a 10" hole.
Kids present can swallow hole leg. Even small footed adult.

Have both 8 and 10. Usually use 10" for derbys.

With 8" can do a double hole if you really feel its necessary.
8" cuts quicker.

When really cold you get hole shrinkage - 10" better.
If inside(tent) not usually an issue.

Bet that didnt help much.:)

10" holes and little kids really scare me,,,, you could end up with a lot than just one leg down the hole if there are pre schoolers around.

jacenbeers
12-24-2014, 11:12 AM
10 inch holes are amazing. There is a safety risk if you are fishing with children but for somebody like me who is kid free, I love a 10 inch. It makes sight fishing so much more fun.

Arc
12-24-2014, 11:18 AM
I just got an 8" on the 22nd. Picked up one at Bass Pro for $379 Strikemaster chipper Lite gas powered. Thought it would be too small, but after asking the staff a ton of questions it seemed fine. Took it out yesterday and it exceeded my expectations. From a fellow hand auger user, you'll really appreciate the 8". It drilled 4 holes in about 2 minutes. Seemed a little like cheating, but I quickly got over it. Keep in mind that 10" augers usually have heavier engines too. All the extra weight can be a pain. The lighter the better for me....keeping in mind I'll never jeopardize quality. I was shocked when the guy told me that he sells out of the 8" Ion battery augers before anything else. He said you can do 40 holes on a battery powered auger. Who knew?

huntsfurfish
12-24-2014, 11:32 AM
10 inch holes are amazing. There is a safety risk if you are fishing with children but for somebody like me who is kid free, I love a 10 inch. It makes sight fishing so much more fun.

Jasen

There can also be a safety risk after we leave(for those of us with 10" augers).

Scott N
12-24-2014, 11:37 AM
Good point about the safety aspect, I had not really considered that.

EZM
12-24-2014, 11:44 AM
8" is fine for most applications. You can always drill a double hole if you are fishing for monsters ..... but a 25lb Pike or Laker will come up a 8" hole.

Fish are definitely easier to get up and out of a 10" hole versus a smaller hole. They also have more room to turn around and take off on you.

The big advantage is for sight fishing ...... whitefish when you are dangling your wire worm.

We usually drill 4 holes in our tent and fish 2 of them .... if you place your holes about a foot to 18" apart you can watch your lure and still be sitting back in your chair without straining. We discovered this by accident and it's kind of cool actually - gives you a different view versus the camera.

The 10" is also a disadvantage, as mentioned, for small kids and dogs, AND if you are fishing trout in clear shallow water ..... be careful to move slowly if you are reaching for your rod ....... everything we see looking down, they can see looking up and will often spook in shallow water.

And .... by the way ..... my size 11 boot (with my foot still in it) will go down a 10" hole and up to my hip ...... trust me on this one.

the local angler
12-24-2014, 02:05 PM
i agree with sticking with just an 8" auger, my buddy has a 10" lightning i think and i fell into one of the 10" holes a few years back opposed to my 8" and really bruised up my thigh pretty good cause my whole leg literally when in up to my crotch. thank god i didn't break my leg out in the middle of know where. my jiffy 30 is light and and drills holes with ease and if i need a bigger hole like the others say just drill the holes side by side. plus the fish will have a harder time turning around when he pops the hook half way up the hole, while a 10" hole i found the fish can turn around with ease and shoot back down the hole if you plan on keeping a few for the fry pan.

Kim473
12-24-2014, 02:36 PM
I have an 8" and wish I got the 10". Depends what you want. Personal pref.

Ranger10
12-24-2014, 03:17 PM
like most people said 10" is great for sight fishing or watch the fish turn around and swim away after they get off in the hole. and the ten is heavier to carry around. I have both and end up grabbing the eight for most fishing.Tens not so good for clumzy adults,careless kids or dogs Lol

bubba 96
12-24-2014, 07:05 PM
10 inch only way to go

Brandonkop
12-24-2014, 07:13 PM
I fish both and really prefer a 10 inch for Pike and lake trout and walleye. Easier to get them turned into the hole. The 8 inch is better for perch. If they come off in the hole they can't turn around as fast and you can scoop them. When I was a kid I stepped in an 8 inch hole and went in right to my crotch. So 8" isn't going to save your kids if they aren't paying attention.

yoteblaster
12-24-2014, 07:19 PM
I prefer the 10inch. I have small children, you just have to be careful. The sight fishing is just so much better. As far as time to drill a hole, maybe a couple seconds longer for the 10 inch. Well worth it

Jack Fish
12-24-2014, 10:43 PM
For myself, I went with the 10" for the simple reason that it will cut a hole large enough for me to fish anywhere. I fish sometimes in the NWT and with thick ice a large hole is needed to see any distance.

Yes there is a safety aspect that needs to be considered with kids but if you bank the sides up, a trip and fall usually happens before falling into the hole. Also is very helpful to keep your fish from going back down the hole when it drops off your line sometimes.

An auger that is well maintained should easily last 15 years and beyond. If you don't need to carry it go with a 10"

Isopod
12-24-2014, 11:16 PM
I've used an 8" gas auger for the past almost 10 years, and when I have to replace it I will be getting another 8". If you fish outdoors in really cold weather, where hole-shrinkage over the course of the day becomes an issue, then 10" might be better. But otherwise I think an 8" has more advantages than disadvantages compared to a 10".

Mike_W
12-25-2014, 07:02 AM
I have both. In a situation where you are searching for fish and drilling lots of holes the 8 inch is great and my preferd hole diameter for pretty much all fishing except for lake trout or big pike where I prefer a 10 inch. A 8 inch hole drills faster and easier. 10 inch is nice as fish do come up easier and for sight fishing it does give you a much larger viewing cone, however the ease that fish comes up is double edged as they can also get back down much easier. If you lose a fish in the hole in a 8 inch they have a hard time getting turned back down where as a 10 inch they have a much easier time.

Here is a some food for thought where I realized how much difference 2 inches makes in hole size.

10 inch hole circumference - 31.4"
10 inch hole area - 78.5" square
8 inch hole circumference - 25.1"
8 inch hole area - 50.3" square

Penner
12-25-2014, 09:21 AM
10" hands down.

WayneChristie
12-25-2014, 09:26 AM
another vote for 10. I fish a lot so the odd fish lost in the hole isnt such a big deal. you might be able to drag a 25 pound plus through a 8 inch hole but you arent doing the fish any favours

waterninja
12-25-2014, 10:05 AM
I only have the 8" bit for my power auger (6" for hand) but really prefer the 10 ". Much nicer looking down a 10" hole. I really think that if you or the kids are not paying attention an 8 " hole is pretty well the same as a 10" if your going to step in it.

SCHOOCH
12-25-2014, 10:24 AM
I only use a 10 just cause i usually fish for pike/walleye mainly through the ice, i have had a small kid step into the hole once right after i said watch the hole, not my kid though they seem a wee bit more attentive being on the ice most of their lives. If your mainly a trout fisherperson go with the 8 and drill a double hole if chasing pike....makes the most sense IMHO.

Geezle
12-25-2014, 01:14 PM
How much time do you spend walking out on to the ice? If it's a lot you may want to go with an 8" simply for the weight reduction.

Really any power auger that prevents you from having to do the job by hand is a good auger ;)

I've had an 8" for a few years and got a 10" towards the end of last season. So far only the 8" has come out with me, though once we're finally driving on the ice I'm sure the 10" will come out more. When I was fishing pike with the 8" I'd just drill double holes...no biggie really.

8" is going to be lightest and likely cost you the least. 10" is nice, but heavier and more money.

warbridle
12-25-2014, 01:43 PM
10. You get to see so much more.

1bluZebec
12-25-2014, 11:00 PM
if money is no question, the 10". If it is, 8". you can always drill an overlapping hole if need be.:happy0034:

ghostguy6
12-26-2014, 12:51 AM
10" for me. My thought was if you step in a hole, you have a little more leeway with a 10" hole and your less likely to break a leg. I had way more sprained ankles with my 8" auger than my 10".

buckman
12-26-2014, 07:07 AM
I have used both. If you have a little extra cash why not buy both the auger sizes and then you can use whichever suits on the day