PDA

View Full Version : Eskimo stingray vs. Eskimo shark .

trainerdave
12-26-2014, 10:47 AM
Hi everybody. Just looking for some power ice auger advice.

I received both the Eskimo Stingray and the Eskimo Shark for Christmas. They have the identical 8" auger. The difference is the motor size and weight. The Stingray is 33 cc and 28 lbs. The Shark is 51 cc and 32 lbs. The Stingray has a tubular handle with rubber coating, the shark has an aluminium handle with rubber coating to keep the weight down. Only one may be kept. Any advice from you would be appreciated. They both have 2014 manufacturing dates, and their engines are both designated as"cold weather viper'', 9000 rpm. Any advice?
Thanks...
Dave.

Geezle
12-26-2014, 11:06 AM
The short answer is the Stingray will dig holes slow and steady, without soaking your boots when you break through, while the Shark will rip through fast, but throw ice everywhere and is far more likely to soak your boots.

trainerdave
12-26-2014, 11:12 AM
Thanks,G.
And perhaps I should look for a new pair of insulated rubber boots too, in either case.

Geezle
12-26-2014, 11:38 AM
Thanks,G.
And perhaps I should look for a new pair of insulated rubber boots too, in either case.

Never a bad idea...especially when there is flood water to deal with :)

I have both an older 8" 33cc and a Z71 with a 10" bit. The biggest difference is the gearing and the size/weight of the motor.

trainerdave
12-26-2014, 11:51 AM
Thanks Geezle.

I have had a shoulder replaced and as such had to move away from the self-propelled augers. Is there much noticeable weight difference between 28 and 32 lbs. once it is balanced and running? I have never owned a power auger so thanks for your advice.

D.

EZM
12-26-2014, 12:36 PM
If you have a bad shoulder or back stay away for the the heavier sharks. Like geezle said, they cut the best, but they are heavy and have lots of torque to control (especially if you like squeezing the trigger like me and soaking the entire area with water and flying ice).

The trick is to go steady ..... just like driving a sports car ....... right?

Geezle
12-26-2014, 12:39 PM
Thanks Geezle.

I have had a shoulder replaced and as such had to move away from the self-propelled augers. Is there much noticeable weight difference between 28 and 32 lbs. once it is balanced and running? I have never owned a power auger so thanks for your advice.

D.

Once it's standing and running the weight doesn't factor in a whole bunch.

The biggest thing you'll notice though, is that the Z51 has a lot more 'oomph' to it, and it can be a little more to wrestle with...especially if it binds up breaking through the bottom of the ice, it can wrench you pretty good. If you're on bare ice without cleats it'll probably spin you around! :lol:

Given the situation with your shoulder I'd probably stick with the Stingray, as it is definitely easier to handle, and is still absolutely capable of doing everything you need :)

trainerdave
12-26-2014, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the replies and sensible advice. I was going to use an 18v dewalt on an adaptor, so either one would probably be awesome and easier on the wrist.

Kim473
12-26-2014, 03:40 PM
More power is better. You supply the auger and your buddy drills the holes. Even trade off I think.

sportman
12-26-2014, 08:42 PM
I have a stingray and it does everything I need it to

Tyangelo
12-26-2014, 08:43 PM
I bought my Stingray about 4 years ago. Have done nothing special besides running 91 gas, and good 2 stroke oil. Stored properly every winter. Have drilled well over 1000 holes with it. Still fires first pull and purrs like a kitten. Is the extra price and weight worth the additional 1-2 seconds gained per hole?

Up to you...

SKSniper
12-26-2014, 09:03 PM
I got the 33cc Stingray for xmas as well. I used it today and am very impressed, it cut through 14" of ice in about 20 seconds and fired up with one or two pulls every time.

alacringa
12-26-2014, 09:53 PM
This is my 3rd season with my Stingray. I'm still very happy with it.

trainerdave
12-26-2014, 10:02 PM
Sounds like I can't really go wrong either way, and I am glad that it sounds like even the smaller Eskimo auger is more than capable of getting the job done...
Thanks for sharing how your augers have been working and for giving me some friendly direction...
D.

bloopbloob
12-27-2014, 04:33 AM
Another happy 8" 33cc stingray customer here. 3rd season. I really like how light it is. It starts first pull every time unless I flooded it priming (my fault), and drills a hole in just a few seconds. I'm more than happy with it, no complaints at all. I'll add, with no snow on the ice, and no cleats on, even the 33cc engine has enough torque to make it a bit of a dance out there. With a bad shoulder, I'd stick with the smaller engine.