PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys see in Ice fishing???

Leverboy
12-12-2008, 09:54 AM
I was wondering what you folks enjoy about the sport??? I have been totally outfitted with Ice Cube, Jiffy Gas auger, keresone heater, portable humminbird depth finder and even on the odd day i have gone out and had a very productive day, its still very ho hum for me. My wife is painting this weekend and i would rather watch her and the paint dry.:D Of course the fact that she is friggen hot may have something to do with me wanting to stay home on winter days.:lol: I really thought ice fishing would be a fun way to pass the time during the winter but me thinks i'll sell some equipment off and get more into the predator hunting over the winter months.:) Hope you all have a safe season.:)

Waxy
12-12-2008, 10:11 AM
I was wondering what you folks enjoy about the sport??? I have been totally outfitted with Ice Cube, Jiffy Gas auger, keresone heater, portable humminbird depth finder and even on the odd day i have gone out and had a very productive day, its still very ho hum for me. My wife is painting this weekend and i would rather watch her and the paint dry.:D Of course the fact that she is friggen hot may have something to do with me wanting to stay home on winter days.:lol: I really thought ice fishing would be a fun way to pass the time during the winter but me thinks i'll sell some equipment off and get more into the predator hunting over the winter months.:) Hope you all have a safe season.:)

I tend to agree. For me, ice fishing doesn't hold a candle to open water. Technology can make it more fun - underwater cameras, the new flashers, lightning fast 10" augers, pop up shelters, etc..., but you're still pretty limited.

I like versatility and the ability to use multiple presentations and speeds, work different depths and structures, and most of all, I like the ability to cover ground and MOVE QUICKLY if a spot isn't working out. I don't think I'd ever go fishing on open water if I was restricted to a strictly vertical presentation in only a couple spots for the entire day.

However, give me a nice warm shack with a fire going and some sausage or fresh caught perch frying and a tasty beverage in my hand, and I can get into ice fishing, especially if I'm getting the odd bite. :D

Waxy

The Elkster
12-12-2008, 10:11 AM
Depends on who you go with and how and where you fish. It can be a social gathering (you see groups out more often than in summer), the fresh air, the views, sometimes the fishing. It is generally not a sport for those with ADHD. When I'm on the ice I am very active and move lots so its not just sitting. A depth finder or camera can add some to the experience. There is some exercise hauling the auger around drilling 50+ holes a day and there is a "hunt" aspect to it for me. If you go alone and sit on a chair and stay in one place all day long maybe not so much fun...unless the fish are really biting:) I'm not so big on being couped up in a shack unless its really snowing and blowing...then it just feels downright cozy.

I can see it being a bit of a dissappointment for those that are coming off 50 walleye a day summers etc.

The Fisherman Guy
12-12-2008, 10:13 AM
A crisp hundred dollars for the Auger here!

Reeves1
12-12-2008, 10:49 AM
A crisp hundred dollars for the Auger here!

I was thinking the same thing about the tent :lol:

Leverboy
12-12-2008, 10:57 AM
Stay tuned. I may sell. Wifey wants to redecorate the new house.:D

ragweed
12-12-2008, 11:01 AM
I have a few reasons why I like ice fishing so much. (Love open water fishing too.)

- The place I usually go is very secluded. It's usually just myself and those who travel with me. It's a gorgeous little spot, shared with local wildlife. The peaceful tranquility of it is huge.

- It's an easy sport that all can enjoy. You don't need all that extra gear.
I've fished for years with an old manual auger and a couple of bottom halves of rods.

- I go to where I know there's fish. That doesn't mean they're ready to bite. You still get all the challenges of presentation, time of day, light, wind, flexing ice, depth, etc... Every challenge you have in a boat, you have on the ice. It's just a different forum.

- I like being outside in a blizzard, with a purpose, and being fairly warm.

**Seconds on the Auger**

Outcasts
12-12-2008, 11:11 AM
I used to live in Mission B.C on the Fraser River before moving to calgary and discovering the bow. I had seen Icefishing on the movie grumpy old men but the idea of walking on the middle of a lake was crazy so for me the last three years that ive taken up the sport have been very interesting for a number of reasons. I really like the effect of the sun down those holes especially over a foot deep, really pritty especially if you rigged up your piece of **** hand auger for the third time after breaking the bolt and wing nut off and the thing cuts as straight as the show "what not to wear". I also think for the less equipped angler who doesnt own a boat (I didnt till last year) its neat to get out to a deep pocket in a lake especially spray lakes where fishing from shore rarely produces decent sized fish. Maybe the idea of pulling a fish through a whole in the ice doesnt create the same effect on others as it does for me, i think its sweet, it makes handling the fish easier and a neat realease. And like Elkster said when its blowin hard and -20 (not talking about the wife) its "downright cozy" inside my "4man" icecube (really a two man) but the entire reason I went icefishin and keep up the hobby is my family and friends, you wanna talk about bonding. When it comes down to it Elkster hit it bang on its who you go with, you wont catch me many times on the ice by myself....defeats the purpose for me Ive got alot of family and its hard to have a decent conversation with anybody when the tvs on to pushin bush. Ice fishin has provided me with a hundred good memories already and its all due to who i went with, the conversation quality and scenery...I look at it the same as hunting or open water...its just nice to get out! AND THIRDS ON THE AUGER LOL!!!

Jester
12-12-2008, 11:26 AM

$10 for an 8x10 of your wife in a bikini...:D:lol::wave:

FishBrain
12-12-2008, 11:28 AM
I would suggest taking your "hot" wife into the tent with you. then you get to fish and well poke holes at the same time :)

Waxy
12-12-2008, 11:43 AM
And like Elkster said when its blowin hard and -20 (not talking about the wife) its "downright cozy" inside my "4man" icecube (really a two man) but the entire reason I went icefishin and keep up the hobby is my family and friends, you wanna talk about bonding. When it comes down to it Elkster hit it bang on its who you go with, you wont catch me many times on the ice by myself....defeats the purpose for me Ive got alot of family and its hard to have a decent conversation with anybody when the tvs on to pushin bush. Ice fishin has provided me with a hundred good memories already and its all due to who i went with, the conversation quality and scenery...I look at it the same as hunting or open water...its just nice to get out! AND THIRDS ON THE AUGER LOL!!!

This is very true, excellent point.

The comraderie aspect of fishing and hunting is probably the biggest factor for me. I enjoy getting out for the odd "solitary" day, but the people I hunt and fish with are my best friends and family, and that time spent together is priceless.

One thing about ice fishing, regardless of the fishing, it definitely rates high on the BS'ing scale. :lol:

Waxy

Waxy
12-12-2008, 11:44 AM
I would suggest taking your "hot" wife into the tent with you. then you get to fish and well poke holes at the same time :)

:lol::lol:

Waxy

chuck0039
12-12-2008, 11:53 AM
The worst day fishing (ice or open water) still beat the best day of work in the city.

Leverboy
12-12-2008, 11:53 AM
ha ha my wife is a prima donna hairstylist that wouldn't be caught dead ice fishing.

bunnyhunter
12-12-2008, 12:33 PM
no friggin mosquitos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

and oh yeah, I dont have a boat ....I love ice fishing, the fish taste great, and theres that moment pulling in something on your line, when you dont know exactly WHATS going to come up thru the hole....sitting undisturbed with hot coffee and a sandwich....dont find it boring at all.

Jenn

riderpride55
12-12-2008, 01:08 PM
mark me down for the flasher.
in my opioion the hard water season is almost more fun than open water, Some of the reasons are; its almost never to windiny to fish on the ice, you can light a fire on the ice drill holes all around it, and have a social time on the ice, when you in your hut, you can watch the fish take your hook, I have never fished for or caught a lake white fish or a burbot. on open water. the first ice on mcgregor is unbelivable for white fish, fishing on gull lake in march is all so an unbelivble experince. while ice fishing I have started to use my laptop to record my aqua vu, and now starting to make under water fishing videos.

Keep your lines tight
RJ

BorntoFish
12-12-2008, 01:58 PM
Would like to see some of those videos.

sco22
12-12-2008, 04:10 PM
Personally, I like ice fishing just as much as regular fishing but for different reasons. It is definitely more social and as long as you are geared up (which it sounds like you are for the short term anyhow), it is fun. Now, if you are not seeing any fish and consequently not catching, well in my mind, that is no different from summer fishing, save the better weather.

We have an annual trip that we have done for 14 years. Last year, 22 guys from Montreal to Victoria came. We have rotated around to various Northern Alberta lakes, the last 2 years at Slave Lake. The trip started with my brother in law and my father in law where we drove across Touchwood Lake to Spencer Lake. Back then, Spencer was a slot size lake. We actually drove out and stayed at Lac La Biche each day. From there we went to staying in wall tents, to large cargo trailers, to sealing in a community cook shack at Seibert Lake to cabins and now we are going back to the cook shack. We also have a couple of winterized campers and a converted cargo trailer that hauls the junk but also sleeps 6 (or 10 when fairly liquored).

We have had wicked fishing, but also some wicked weather. One year with a wall tent, it snowed about 6 inches overnight; heavy wet snow. We awoke to trees snapping under the weight at 7 am. Wasn't feeling too well either. . .must have been something I ate.

I guess what I really like about ice fishing is the mobility factor for big groups and the good times that come with that. Plus, my kids think it is great when they can see the fish.

I have attached some various pictures. I can always post some more.

Cheers,

70chevy
12-12-2008, 06:47 PM
Nothing beats being out on the ice with friends and family.

BUD
12-13-2008, 12:30 PM
Personally, I like ice fishing just as much as regular fishing but for different reasons. It is definitely more social and as long as you are geared up (which it sounds like you are for the short term anyhow), it is fun. Now, if you are not seeing any fish and consequently not catching, well in my mind, that is no different from summer fishing, save the better weather.

We have an annual trip that we have done for 14 years. Last year, 22 guys from Montreal to Victoria came. We have rotated around to various Northern Alberta lakes, the last 2 years at Slave Lake. The trip started with my brother in law and my father in law where we drove across Touchwood Lake to Spencer Lake. Back then, Spencer was a slot size lake. We actually drove out and stayed at Lac La Biche each day. From there we went to staying in wall tents, to large cargo trailers, to sealing in a community cook shack at Seibert Lake to cabins and now we are going back to the cook shack. We also have a couple of winterized campers and a converted cargo trailer that hauls the junk but also sleeps 6 (or 10 when fairly liquored).

We have had wicked fishing, but also some wicked weather. One year with a wall tent, it snowed about 6 inches overnight; heavy wet snow. We awoke to trees snapping under the weight at 7 am. Wasn't feeling too well either. . .must have been something I ate.

I guess what I really like about ice fishing is the mobility factor for big groups and the good times that come with that. Plus, my kids think it is great when they can see the fish.

I have attached some various pictures. I can always post some more.

Cheers,

Looks like you boys have lotsa muny.

sparky660
12-13-2008, 06:46 PM
I thought those pics look familiar sco22. We go to Spencer a couple times a year for hard water fishing and the same during the summer. This year we are going do an overnighter with the wall tent at Siebert and snowmobile into Spencer and Thouchwood.

dogboy
12-13-2008, 08:10 PM
you can have the auger how mutch for the tent?

ULTRAlite
12-14-2008, 12:27 AM
A chance to shake off the cabin fever - get out for some fresh air - enjoy our beautiful Canadian wilderness. With a little bit of gear and some planning it is the BEST way to spend a crisp winter day.

As much as I like fly fishing, and the summer months, winter is dedicated to ice fishing... How can you not love it??? http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/confused002.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

Nerdapres'
12-14-2008, 06:57 AM
My icecube is easier to hotbox than my boat.

Big Red 250
12-14-2008, 08:56 AM
Alot less fisher people out during the winter, so no crowds. Great with the family if the weather is decent. open fire for hotdogs, coffee, coco. NO TROLLING ALLOWED.

ULTRAlite
12-14-2008, 12:11 PM

Nice http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/cool11.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
12-14-2008, 12:17 PM
The real question is , what do you see in asking such a goofy question.
Fishing is fishing , if its out of a boat , off a dock, from the shore , on top of a giant ice cube. Read my signature , I live to fish.

Marlin07
12-14-2008, 12:45 PM
Man that made me laugh...

sco22
12-14-2008, 01:55 PM
I thought those pics look familiar sco22. We go to Spencer a couple times a year for hard water fishing and the same during the summer. This year we are going do an overnighter with the wall tent at Siebert and snowmobile into Spencer and Thouchwood.

Awesome. When are you going? We will hit Jackson/Blackett?Kinnaird between Christmas and New Years, but it will be Seibert for us for the big trip this year. We usually do 4-6 days in the second or third week of March and spend time at Seibert until Spencer is open. I have been fishing at Touchwood for 25 years.

I have seen wall tents on Seibert in the past. . .have you done it before?

Cheers.

deanmc
12-14-2008, 02:03 PM
Nothing. Its awful terrible terrible thing. I recommend everyone who does it to stop. I will be happy to go out by myself and try to control the walleye population.:lol:

Alberta Bigbore
12-14-2008, 03:32 PM
What do I see in Ice fishing?

Well first off, all summer long i release fish. No interest to eat them. Come winter, I fish whitefish for food, perch that are a good size for food and legal pike for food. If i could figure out how to gut burbot properly...id eat them too.

Also... i like meeting friends on the ice, making new friends, bringing the camp stove and cooking eggs, hashbrowns, sausage from what ever fell in the big game season. I like my new flasher, looking down a ice hole seeing a whitefish cruise up and the tension you get waiting for him to inhale the hook so you can pull him up on the ice. I like feleing the thump thump thump when walleyes hit a jig and minnow. So many things to enjoy.

sparky660
12-14-2008, 07:41 PM
Awesome. When are you going? We will hit Jackson/Blackett?Kinnaird between Christmas and New Years, but it will be Seibert for us for the big trip this year. We usually do 4-6 days in the second or third week of March and spend time at Seibert until Spencer is open. I have been fishing at Touchwood for 25 years.

I have seen wall tents on Seibert in the past. . .have you done it before?

Cheers.

I'll send you a PM so we don't hijack the thread.