PDA

View Full Version : Pike fishing with a spook?

markusbrainus
12-26-2014, 06:08 PM
Anyone ever summer fished for pike with a spook?

http://www.heddonlures.com/product/zara-spook-3/
http://i.imgur.com/MkjByLz.jpg

This is a floating lure that you skim across the water over weed beds. The packaging advertises a "walking the dog" jerking motion while reeling in.

I'm sure it works great for bass, but I'm curious if anyone has had success with it for Pike?

Thanks

pikergolf
12-26-2014, 06:13 PM
Yes I have. Any more fun and it would be illegal. Calm days or evenings are best. If you use a stiff rod watch out for airborne lure on the hook set as they do not sink at all, and are very easy to get airborne and headed for your head.

They are not always the best choice, but my lord are they fun to fish. Takes can be explosive.

RavYak
12-26-2014, 06:20 PM
I have a couple and the only problem I have with them is that they are tricky/a lot of work to use. For topwater pike I use chug bugs and buzzbaits since they are a lot less work to fish.

drifter
12-26-2014, 06:22 PM
They are well worth the time and effort to learn how to use them.

burbotman
12-26-2014, 06:55 PM
Yes I have. Any more fun and it would be illegal. Calm days or evenings are best. If you use a stiff rod watch out for airborne lure on the hook set as they do not sink at all, and are very easy to get airborne and headed for your head.

They are not always the best choice, but my lord are they fun to fish. Takes can be explosive.

X 2. Bar none IMO the most exciting way to catch pike

Typically I tend To find that the largest fish of a trip are taken on top (June)

EZM
12-26-2014, 07:00 PM
I have used these slow trolling my electric and holding the rod in hand working the lure on the surface. I let out lots of line and keep the tip high and give it some dips, jerks and wobbles.

It's awesome fun to see a pike explode on this lure. Leaves you giggling for a long time after.

huntsfurfish
12-26-2014, 08:16 PM

I agree! I have some 7 or 8" ones that are great for big pike.

1bluZebec
12-26-2014, 10:55 PM
I had to read your title of your thread a second time lol. I was thinking is this for real?? Lol

catnthehat
12-27-2014, 12:10 AM
I take the trebles off my Zara Spooks and Heddon mice and replace them with single weeddless Eagle Claws - hook ups are a bit less, but you can toss those suckers into the thickest weeds imaginable and get them out, no sweat!
Cat

binnzer32
12-27-2014, 05:30 AM
One of the best top waters made. Easy to use. Walk the dog. ..

markusbrainus
12-27-2014, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll be giving it a try this summer!

catnthehat
12-27-2014, 11:35 AM
I should mention that if you use the heddon mouse, there are two other things to do to really make that plug work bedises changing the trebles out for a weedless single.
The first is to take off the diving lip.
The second is to drill a small hole and put a few pieces oif shot in there, then glue the hole over.
This adds a rattle, but more importantly, will make the mouse sit with the front up so when you pop it and swim it, it really splashes about and makes a pile of noise and movement!:sHa_shakeshout:
Cat