PDA

View Full Version : Cordless Drill Auger Adapter

Catahoula
12-12-2008, 03:11 PM
Saw an auger at Canadian Tire in the fishing dept. for an adapter that you put on your cordless drill to cut holes. Bob Izumi put his name on it.(not that it means anything)
Might work early in the season but have my doubts it would go through 3' of March ice.

Any one tried one?

Looks to me like yet another gadget but for $70 and a good return policy might be worth a try.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
12-12-2008, 11:39 PM
Ive seen them used , Alot of the americans love them as there ice is a quarter of what we get . Anyway if you have a good electric hammer drill and a generator might do well but then kill a batter pretty fast .

Nerdapres'
12-13-2008, 05:23 AM
.... or you could just buy a $60 ice auger.

I get my blades professionally sharpened (Carbide Saw Service in Bowness) they're better than brand new after that. I usually have a hole or two drilled before my buddy even has his gas auger started.

huntinggr81
12-13-2008, 09:12 AM
.... or you could just buy a $60 ice auger.

I get my blades professionally sharpened (Carbide Saw Service in Bowness) they're better than brand new after that. I usually have a hole or two drilled before my buddy even has his gas auger started.

I guess if you like fishing out of a 6 inch hole then it would be okay. I prefer at least 8 inch or better 10 inch hole & I'm willing to bet my 10 inch jiffy against your hand auger anyday of the week.

Izumi
12-13-2008, 10:37 AM
Watch out I endorse all kinds of crap. :lol:

munyee4321
12-13-2008, 10:44 AM
I guess if you like fishing out of a 6 inch hole then it would be okay. I prefer at least 8 inch or better 10 inch hole & I'm willing to bet my 10 inch jiffy against your hand auger anyday of the week.

Theres 8" manual Augers available :D

Jester
12-13-2008, 10:54 AM

I remember a home made 12 pound (lead down the handle) Ice-spud and I could make any size hole I wanted.:)

Yeah,the fish were always three sizes smaller than the hole..:lol::lol::lol:

huntinggr81
12-13-2008, 11:08 AM

Have you ever tried drilling with an 8 inch manual auger? I've tried them all before (when I couldn't afford a power auger). An 8 inch manual is a brutal workout when the ice is more than 18 inches thick. I would have 7 or 8 holes drilled with my power 10 inch before you could drill one with a manual 8 inch. When I was a kid we had no auger & I would use an axe on 24 inch plus thick ice - more often than not water would come in before hole was finished or the axe head would break off. I guess it depends how bad you want to fish.

munyee4321
12-13-2008, 11:26 AM
Have you ever tried drilling with an 8 inch manual auger? I've tried them all before (when I couldn't afford a power auger). An 8 inch manual is a brutal workout when the ice is more than 18 inches thick. I would have 7 or 8 holes drilled with my power 10 inch before you could drill one with a manual 8 inch. When I was a kid we had no auger & I would use an axe on 24 inch plus thick ice - more often than not water would come in before hole was finished or the axe head would break off. I guess it depends how bad you want to fish.

sure have thats all i use :D
you 7-8 holes to my one with my hand auger..... i don't think so i would say id hav 1.5 holes done maybe two ha :D....... plus thats what fishing buddies are for to help :D

huntinggr81
12-13-2008, 11:51 AM
I've also used a chainsaw with a 36" bar on it to cut holes. I guess it really doesn't matter how you make your hole. The important thing is that you're out there fishing.

munyee4321
12-13-2008, 12:06 PM
I've also used a chainsaw with a 36" bar on it to cut holes. I guess it really doesn't matter how you make your hole. The important thing is that you're out there fishing.

Agreed :D