PDA

View Full Version : Buck lake walleye through the ice

fluxcore
12-28-2014, 04:18 PM
Had a family adventure out to buck lake (just past pigeon) in search of some walleye today, we managed some decient perch yesterday on gull and figured a few walleye would go along with the fry up were doing for UFC next weekend !! Caught 8 with 3 keepers not much over 50cm....still good day. Pics on my daughters phone she is at her aunts so I'll post later, kids are off until jan the 5th :0

Red Bullets
12-28-2014, 04:25 PM
Shhh.... No, actually, how thick was the ice?

fluxcore
12-28-2014, 04:25 PM
Also the water wasent as clear as gull and seemed to have a slight smell (sort of, but kind of earthy smell) how bad did buck get in the summer were the walleye still or are good eating ? Ice was a solid 13" 14" thick and solid, got the auger down deep. Drove the van with little worries

Red Bullets
12-28-2014, 04:35 PM
Thanks. Your info is helpful. Nice to hear of your success too.

Buck lake water can get green algae in summer, not alot of blue algae though. The fish should be great for eating. The bigger eyes are not super common so savour them. A big white from buck would be a treat.

Flint123
12-28-2014, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the update. Where abouts on the lake did you fish at? I might take a trip up there this week. Also what were you using if you don't mind me asking.

Red Bullets
12-28-2014, 04:48 PM
Flux.... Weren't you on the SW corner of the NE shore due west of the northern bay on the southern end of the lake where the shoreline goes east and west after you hit the bend on the island that faces the setting sun?:)

fluxcore
12-28-2014, 04:51 PM
Flux.... Weren't you on the SW corner of the NE shore due west of the northern bay on the southern end of the lake where the shoreline goes east and west after you hit the bend on the island that faces the setting sun?:)

Ahhhhhh nailed it
""""Pure awsomness"""

fluxcore
12-28-2014, 05:04 PM
I would like to post where but we ran into two families that offered my daughters hot chocolate (after chasing our dog who went to say hi) and they played with there kids while we fished. We moved closer after they insisted so I wouldn't give the location.

Gboe8
12-28-2014, 05:05 PM
Also the water wasent as clear as gull and seemed to have a slight smell (sort of, but kind of earthy smell) how bad did buck get in the summer were the walleye still or are good eating ? Ice was a solid 13" 14" thick and solid, got the auger down deep. Drove the van with little worries

Weird I've fished both gull and buck the last week and buck lake was way more clear then gull. I found gull was murky.

fluxcore
12-28-2014, 05:07 PM
Weird I've fished both gull and buck the last week and buck lake was way more clear then gull. I found gull was murky.

Hmmmm location ? Gull is a glass were I was but over sandy bottom, on buck it was weeds down deep and mud 5 feet away but murky. I don't have a cam either so not sure if that playes into it

WayneChristie
12-28-2014, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the update. Where abouts on the lake did you fish at? I might take a trip up there this week. Also what were you using if you don't mind me asking.

why dont you ask epic angler he knows all the best spots

Gboe8
12-28-2014, 06:08 PM
Hmmmm location ? Gull is a glass were I was but over sandy bottom, on buck it was weeds down deep and mud 5 feet away but murky. I don't have a cam either so not sure if that playes into it

I was at brownlows at gull lots of weeds. I was on the north end of buck sand bottom could see the bottom at 16 fow.

RavYak
12-28-2014, 07:24 PM
Tried there once this winter and was able to catch a few walleye but no keeper size, did catch a couple keeper pike though...

Kim473
12-29-2014, 05:48 AM
Any decent perch or whites in Buck ? Never been there before. Wouldn't mind catching an eye and a few perch for supper one day. Whats the walleye limit there? One over 50 ?

brohymn2
12-29-2014, 06:25 AM
Any decent perch or whites in Buck ? Never been there before. Wouldn't mind catching an eye and a few perch for supper one day. Whats the walleye limit there? One over 50 ?

yup 1 over 50

Kim473
12-29-2014, 08:20 AM
Which way is the best to get there from Edmonton ? Through Tomahawk or hiway 2 ? Fastest way ? Where is the best access to the lake ?

Lefty-Canuck
12-29-2014, 08:25 AM
Which way is the best to get there from Edmonton ? Through Tomahawk or hiway 2 ? Fastest way ? Where is the best access to the lake ?

Take the Alsike corner towards Breton on the way to Drayton....(past Calmar, Warburg, and Thorsby)....then take the Hwy 13 turn off West.

LC

Kim473
12-29-2014, 08:49 AM
Take the Alsike corner towards Breton on the way to Drayton....(past Calmar, Warburg, and Thorsby)....then take the Hwy 13 turn off West.

LC

Thanks Lefty

Red Bullets
12-29-2014, 09:08 PM
Hwy 2 south to Hwy 13. Then straight west. About 1 hr. 30 min.

Was there today and caught lots of undersize walleye and a few pike. No whites or perch.

Red Bullets
12-29-2014, 09:10 PM

There can be some decent perch "if" you can find them.

Same with the whites. The whites are usually 4 lbs. or bigger but really hard to catch.