PDA

View Full Version : Ice fishing Chestermere

camo
12-29-2014, 12:57 AM
I've never tried ice fishing on Chestermere but I live here now and I'm wondering if anyone on here has been out so far this winter? I'm looking to get my kids out for a half day over the holidays and could use some info. Thanks

rafhone
12-29-2014, 01:14 AM
I've never tried ice fishing on Chestermere but I live here now and I'm wondering if anyone on here has been out so far this winter? I'm looking to get my kids out for a half day over the holidays and could use some info. Thanks

what day are you thinking?

Bigmountainrider
12-29-2014, 01:54 PM
Ice is thick enough for walk on, or quad on, It fished poorly as of the 23rd. Go out and give it a try. Maybe you'll do better than I. Ice was 12-13 inches.

camo
12-29-2014, 10:33 PM
I don't have a day planned out yet. Need to knock the dust of my ice fishing gear and buy a new auger since my buddy used my manual auger to do fence post holes. Going to wait for it to warm up a bit and then go for a skate, then a fish before the winter is out

fisho_badyk
01-02-2015, 02:51 PM
Grew up on Chestermere, folks still live there.
Ice was around 15" where me and the 'ol man usually fish as of Christmas day. Stay away from out front of the yacht club, underwater spring makes it real dicey.
Lots of hammer's, the occasional 22-23"'er.
We just dead-stick smelts on a jighead for the most part.
Hope this helps dude, good luck! Its a great lake to get kids started on!

fisho_badyk
01-02-2015, 02:56 PM
Guess I should have said, south end of the lake near the berm usually produces, just look for old holes.
If you're willing to walk a bit, theres a couple of flats/weed edges along the old river bed if you can find it.

PlayDoh
01-02-2015, 02:59 PM
what depth do you look for this time of year Fisho?

fisho_badyk
01-02-2015, 03:09 PM
We usually stick with around 4-5', but Christmas Eve the honey hole was only in 2', whereas Boxing Day it was a 7'er. The powers that be drained the lake more than usual to fix the screwup with the new 'beach' (or whatever the hell they're calling it) and the mergansers and other divers did serious damage to the baitfish population, so the fish are roaming a lot more than we're used to.

PlayDoh
01-02-2015, 04:07 PM
Thanks a lot

calguy1001
01-02-2015, 08:32 PM
Fishing was okay today during the storm, caught 1 about 18 inches saw a few more on camera at sunset beach in 5 ft. Talked to another guy they had 4. If you need some ideas as to where and how let me know, i live out here and have fished it for too many years. We also make a few trips every year with the grandkids :)