PDA

View Full Version : Lake Louise - Bow River Winter Fishing Help

ljones
12-29-2014, 01:20 PM
Hey guys,

New here, moved here in December from Ontario - living in Lake Louise. No one around here seems to be into fishing at all.. Back home I just recently got into river fishing (have been Bass/pike fishing on lakes my whole life), all I've got is a 8ft light action rod, some no.3 mepps, small spinners and a couple flies. Dying to get out and experiment and test the waters. Any tips? I do have a car as well so I can travel to some areas that may not be as frozen over this time of year. I also understand the river is dangerous this time of year with slippery ice, ice flows, and unpredictable conditions. Just looking to get a line in the water, wherever it may be!

I have already purchased my fishing permit as well. Pretty much ready to go! Any tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys!

Scott N
12-29-2014, 01:42 PM
Disclaimer: I have never fished that part of the Bow, so I don't know what the river is like near Lake Louise in the winter.

I fish the Bow in Calgary and below, and the fish tend to winter in the slower, deeper holes. I almost always fly fish, but sinking Rapalas and Buzz Bombs are popular with spin fishermen. Popular winter flies on the Bow include San Juan Worms, streamers such as wooly buggers or Bow River Buggers, and small nymphs such as the Prince Nymph, Pheasant Tail Nymps, GRHE, etc. It might be a bit of a drive, but the best fishing on the Bow is generally Calgary and downstream.

ljones
12-29-2014, 02:00 PM
Thanks for your help Scott! I'm heading into Calgary on the 2nd for the Flames vs Isles game, might be worth it to bring the rod!

Scott N
12-29-2014, 03:02 PM
This is going to sound pretty gross if you don't already know, but the fishing is better in Calgary below the sewage treatment plant and downstream from there. The treated sewage contains nutrients that help the plants and insects grow, and of course the fish feed on the insects.

ljones
12-29-2014, 03:25 PM
Thanks for that tip - sounds a lot like the rivers back home!

Sundancefisher
12-29-2014, 04:03 PM
Too bad they don't allow ice fishing. Lots of brookies in lake Louise.

ljones
12-31-2014, 11:11 AM
Ah yes, that would be the dream! Might head out and do some exploring/ fishing on my next days off - I'll keep the thread updated.