PDA

View Full Version : Brazeau Ice fishing

7mm08
12-29-2014, 05:58 PM
Anyone fish the Brazeau in winter? We camp and fish there during the summer...and really enjoy it!!! Lots of Jacks to keep a person occupied. But , as we are very new to hard water fishing...is the area as good in winter? or, are there dangers that we dont know about? We normally fish from the east side of the highway, in east canal....I think. First campground east of the highway. Just wondering if its a good winter trip as well.
Thank you in advance.

skidderman
12-29-2014, 07:10 PM
With fluctuating water levels I would be very leery of going on that ice. Lots of current. If it was me I would be finding another lake. Just my 2 cents.

burnme
12-29-2014, 09:45 PM
I have heard the same about there, ice can be in different levels very far apart.

Kdawd
12-29-2014, 11:35 PM
Ice fishing there would be comparable to ice fishing a river. Personally, I wouldn't attempt it because it's very unpredictable. There are easier ways to get into some fish at Brazeau. If you want to get on the ice, try the stocked trout lake.
I would try the open water close to the canal or right off the dam. If the pike don't bite I'm sure the burbot will.
It's a great place to shore fish especially in the summer.

Kodiak
12-30-2014, 09:30 AM
Just think what happens when they open the Dam.........
Could have up to 6 ft of air under the ice before you hit water....

wildwoods
12-30-2014, 09:33 AM
Yep^^^
In all due respect to the op's of the recent 2 threads about ice fishing an active dam: it's not worth the risk. Not only to yourself and your family, but the guys that gotta stick their necks out to rescue you in the event of emergency. You can't live in a bubble, but you gotta count the cost sometimes too.

7mm08
12-30-2014, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the advice. I will be taking that off my list.
Cheers