PDA

View Full Version : Hays-Grantham Reservoir

michael p
12-30-2014, 08:41 AM
Has anyone fished Hays summer or winter? It's in between Vauxhall and Hays

Looper
12-30-2014, 03:26 PM
Grantham has had water clarity issues the last few years. Local pig farmer was cought pumping his lagoon into Grantham. What was once the most crystal clear lake is now green, murky and stinky. At least it was last year. Fishing is nowhwere what it used to be. Too bad as it was a great place to take kids. Lots of action. Lost Lake is similar situation.

I may give it a try New Years day and can report back what its like.

Looper

michael p
12-30-2014, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the reply. Thinking of going there Sat. Will wait for your info, good luck.

WayneChristie
12-30-2014, 09:41 PM
get a couple good weeks in spring til the weeds take over. nothing bigger than a dozen pounds or so and they are pretty rare. just fished it Sunday got a couple 3 pounders, the water is the color of pea soup, cant even see the bottom of the hole, and doesnt smell very good. I would never eat anything out of there, pig farm on one end and feed lot across the road.

AlbertaCutthroat
12-30-2014, 09:52 PM
Several lakes have those issues in that area, don't let it prevent you from giving it a try. Try smaller baits with some movement, there are big fish in almost all of those sloughs (and I don't mean 20 lbs, I mean big). Explore and put some time in, it may surprise you. I've been having luck in 3 feet of murky water this week, it doesnt take much depth or clarity to grow nice fish.