PDA

View Full Version : Jaw Jacker A/O Feedback

gnugen
12-30-2014, 11:03 AM
Picked up a Jaw Jacker from BP on the weekend and stoked to try it out. Using medium action 26" rods.

Any advice so I'm not losing my mind?

EZM
12-30-2014, 12:47 PM
Picked one up at the fishin' hole this am .... south location off 91st. looks like they still have 5-6 left.

I can't wait to try it out.

degasvegas
12-30-2014, 01:25 PM
All I can say is stay out of the line of fire. Make sure your drag on the reel is set appropriately. Other than that use it like you would any other tip up, ive iced a few walleye with mine this year.

Mike_W
12-30-2014, 01:40 PM
Dont get it wet, I had a walleye splash some water on the trigger and it didnt work well after so if you hook a fish move the jaw jacker away from the hole.

gnugen
12-30-2014, 03:54 PM
Thanks! I read that it takes a bit of time to set the tension on the Jaw Jacker as well but once it's set-up hook sets are pretty consistent.

All I can say is stay out of the line of fire. Make sure your drag on the reel is set appropriately. Other than that use it like you would any other tip up, ive iced a few walleye with mine this year.

sportman
12-30-2014, 04:00 PM
Picked one up at the fishin' hole this am .... south location off 91st. looks like they still have 5-6 left.

I can't wait to try it out.

Thanks for the heads up. I rushed over and got one, they only had three left. Now cant wait to try it tomorrow.

EZM
12-30-2014, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I rushed over and got one, they only had three left. Now cant wait to try it tomorrow.

me too ...... based on what I am hearing .... I might be wearing safety glasses .... lol

JohninAB
12-30-2014, 05:54 PM
me too ...... based on what I am hearing .... I might be wearing safety glasses .... lol

This could be entertaining! Sort of like the infamous trolling motor waltz off Fallis a couple of years ago. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

boonedocks
12-30-2014, 06:03 PM
Definatly watch your line of fire! The jaw jacker out fished me 6:0 on trout yesterday.

EZM
12-30-2014, 06:26 PM
This could be entertaining! Sort of like the infamous trolling motor waltz off Fallis a couple of years ago. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

John ....... exactly ........ I refuse to read instructions ....... the trolling motor has a mind of its own.

BTW .... I will let you set it up the first time tomorrow ..... I'm freaking gonna loose an eye for sure !!!!

I will drill the holes. Way less risky to use a spinning gas power auger with a sharp blade.

gnugen
12-31-2014, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the tip.

Dont get it wet, I had a walleye splash some water on the trigger and it didnt work well after so if you hook a fish move the jaw jacker away from the hole.

Game Hunter
12-31-2014, 10:10 AM
My jj out fished 3 guys in the am but we caught up mid afternoon. Went for walleye jj 5 me 8

gnugen
12-31-2014, 10:12 AM
What was the count of missed hook-ups from the jj? Is it pretty consistent all around?

My jj out fished 3 guys in the am but we caught up mid afternoon. Went for walleye jj 5 me 8

Battery
12-31-2014, 10:15 AM
Anyone know where one is in stock in Calgary?. Fishin hole has been sold out forever, I saw one at Basspro on Sunday, but was the wrong time to buy one as I was a little broke from Christmas, now today they're completely sold out everywhere. I am sad today :(

Game Hunter
12-31-2014, 10:30 AM
To be honest maybe 1ce but things froze up that one time.
You have to set the tension appropriately, and I also put my bell on the line between the first and second eye and give slack for the fish to run 3-5 inches before it sets.

huntsfurfish
12-31-2014, 11:12 AM
Anyone know where one is in stock in Calgary?. Fishin hole has been sold out forever, I saw one at Basspro on Sunday, but was the wrong time to buy one as I was a little broke from Christmas, now today they're completely sold out everywhere. I am sad today :(

Might have to wait till next year.:sign0176:

elkslayer132
12-31-2014, 11:49 AM
Order online at the fishing hole they still have some in stock there i just checked you just pay a little more to get it shipped.

EZM
12-31-2014, 09:29 PM
Ok ....... official report ........... Jaw Jacker Review

You have 4 choices when setting this thing up ........

1) be quick;
2) keep your head and face away from the loaded jaw jacker;
3) wear safety glasses;
4) or just go get an eye patch .... because you are going to need it .... lol ....

I was using a medium heavy, 34 inch St.Croix ice rod. These rods have susstaintially more spine and stiffness to any other medium heavy ice rods I`ve seen.

The rod was sleeved into the middle angled setting (controls tension on rod) with the trigger out at the furthest setting (to accommodate this longer style rod).

Tension on the trigger was required to be at nearly maximum set up this way.

Line was braid to a fluorocarbon leader to a set of tandem trebles with a 5 inch or so herring.

First three times the loud snap of a firecracker sounded as the jacker went off I had drove a hook into a unsuspecting pike and each one ended up on the ice. The jawjacker was 100% or 3 for 3. I was delighted and could be seen dancing around yelling ``jaw jacker !!!! jaw Jacker !!!!

I noticed I hooked 2 of three pike outside if the mouth. One under the jaw, one in the gill plate and the last one in the mouth.

I didn`t want to risk foul hooking a pike in the eye or brain, so I reduced the tension and re-set the jaw jacker ....

After that she was snapping off and catching most of the fish in the mouth and there were a few that got away. This prevented foul hook ups.

One word of Caution ... be careful with things like adding bells to your rod ...... when the jacker snaps up they come off, at close to the speed of sound, and travel like a bullet .... lol ......

I had to drop and roll a few times and had some vietnam flashbacks as the bell sounded like a bullet hitting the tent after the loud firecracker went off ( before I adjusted it properly).

It reminded me of the a mousetrap snapped on the the skin of my ........... nevermind ..... forget it

Overall .... works pretty slick ..... 2 thumbs and a eye patch up !!! ARRR ARRR jaw jacker !!!!

JohninAB
01-01-2015, 05:25 AM
Must say, after seeing two of them in action yesterday, EZM's and Yeehaw's, I will be picking one up next time I see one in a store.

Oh, and heed the bell warning EZM mentions in his post, especially if you are using it in an enclosed space. That sucker can come off with some authority!

YeeHaw
01-01-2015, 10:15 AM
The yelling I heard from EZM yesterday gave me nightmares

TROLLER
01-01-2015, 04:46 PM
Just went to their web site and they are sold out. Next shipment will be November of 2015 WOW

timsesink
01-01-2015, 05:29 PM
Ok ....... official report ........... Jaw Jacker Review

You have 4 choices when setting this thing up ........

1) be quick;
2) keep your head and face away from the loaded jaw jacker;
3) wear safety glasses;
4) or just go get an eye patch .... because you are going to need it .... lol ....

I was using a medium heavy, 34 inch St.Croix ice rod. These rods have susstaintially more spine and stiffness to any other medium heavy ice rods I`ve seen.

The rod was sleeved into the middle angled setting (controls tension on rod) with the trigger out at the furthest setting (to accommodate this longer style rod).

Tension on the trigger was required to be at nearly maximum set up this way.

Line was braid to a fluorocarbon leader to a set of tandem trebles with a 5 inch or so herring.

First three times the loud snap of a firecracker sounded as the jacker went off I had drove a hook into a unsuspecting pike and each one ended up on the ice. The jawjacker was 100% or 3 for 3. I was delighted and could be seen dancing around yelling ``jaw jacker !!!! jaw Jacker !!!!

I noticed I hooked 2 of three pike outside if the mouth. One under the jaw, one in the gill plate and the last one in the mouth.

I didn`t want to risk foul hooking a pike in the eye or brain, so I reduced the tension and re-set the jaw jacker ....

After that she was snapping off and catching most of the fish in the mouth and there were a few that got away. This prevented foul hook ups.

One word of Caution ... be careful with things like adding bells to your rod ...... when the jacker snaps up they come off, at close to the speed of sound, and travel like a bullet .... lol ......

I had to drop and roll a few times and had some vietnam flashbacks as the bell sounded like a bullet hitting the tent after the loud firecracker went off ( before I adjusted it properly).

It reminded me of the a mousetrap snapped on the the skin of my ........... nevermind ..... forget it

Overall .... works pretty slick ..... 2 thumbs and a eye patch up !!! ARRR ARRR jaw jacker !!!!

LMAO! And all very true!

Alberta Bigbore
01-01-2015, 07:25 PM
I love em on Pigeon. It has taken my hat clean off my head lolol

Alberta Bigbore
01-01-2015, 07:31 PM
I love em on Pigeon. It has taken my hat clean off my head lolol

Very effective tool.. and now own 5 of them

retten
01-05-2015, 02:58 PM
Call Tess at Preeceland Archery in Saskatchewan they have lots of stock.

Habfan
01-05-2015, 04:52 PM
Remember that they don't work like a tip-up, the line freezes in the hole and won't go off. Clean hole often or if your a bit lazy like me just use tip ups when it's really cold. Wouldn't recommend them inside the shack unless you have a big shack !!

gnugen
01-05-2015, 09:33 PM
Finally got the JJ out. Set up quickly and performed as good as it could have. All my pike were landed jigging. Will say two out of two missed hook sets, -25 no excuses but still happy with the investment.

chriscosta
01-05-2015, 09:50 PM
Ive already landed a ton of perch on mine even some real little ones ..aldo got walleye jack n burbot so far on it ...and i think it only ever missed one fish so far ...

the pilot cock
01-06-2015, 09:20 AM
I love mine but they weren't kidding when they put the sticker on it warning you to keep out of the rod path. I was fishing at -28 last weekend and got a frozen heavy action rod right across my frozen cheek. Once the bleeding stopped I had a great day...oops!