PDA

View Full Version : Coal lake or Wabamun

Swrmacmullin
12-30-2014, 08:00 PM
My friend and I are heading out ice fishing on Thursday and we are debating between coal lake and Wabamun, they are both about the same distance from us and we haven't been to either before. What would you guys suggest? We have sled /quad and toboggan, and hopefully will have the power auger going by then. Just looking for tips for the lakes as we will hit up whichever one we didn't go to next week. How have you guys been making out at these lakes?? Thanks a ton. Not looking for handouts, but tips are really appreciated :)

Thanks again guys.

EZM
12-30-2014, 08:10 PM
100% Wabamun.

It is, however, catch and release, but there are some very nice big Pike in there. There are also Burbs, Whites, Walleyes and some Perch.

Excellent access at townsite - but do not drive under rail bridge going into moonlight bay .... every year or two .... someone goes through the ice there.

Ice should be good to go - reports of 14"-16" of solid ice yesterday ...... but check for yourself and use caution as always.

RavYak
12-30-2014, 08:30 PM
Depends what you want. If you want big pike, walleye, burbs or whites go to wab. If you want to be able to take pike or perch home for dinner try coal.

FlyTheory
12-30-2014, 09:08 PM
I have a lot of openwater and ice experience on both lakes. Wabamun is by far a better fishery than Coal. A good place to start is away from the crowds on the west end of the lake. Good luck!

Lefty-Canuck
12-30-2014, 09:10 PM
If you want to catch fish ....Wab, if you want to wonder if there is fish below you for 8-10 hours....Coal...

LC

Swrmacmullin
12-31-2014, 09:24 PM
So it looks like Wabamun it is! Thanks for the help guys I appreciate it. Wondering if you guys have any tips/trucks for Wabamun? Heading out in the morning. Do you guys use tube jigs? Or a pickerel rig set up? Smelts for bait?

YeeHaw
12-31-2014, 11:54 PM
Quickstrike rigs with 8''-12" herrings. Cant tell anything more:)

Xiph0id
01-01-2015, 01:44 AM
If you want to catch fish ....Wab, if you want to wonder if there is fish below you for 8-10 hours....Coal...

LC

Agreed, although being 15 mins from coal, I might drill a hole or two tomorrow.

Swrmacmullin
01-01-2015, 01:43 PM
So me and my friend are out at Wabamun right now, have tried some jigging, and some still fishing (just have small smelts, about 5-6") an haven't had any luck. We were in 5 ft of water and now were are in 9.7 right out from wab. Any tips?? Seeing lots on the finder but no luck. Tried a 4" white tube jig with a smelt and quick set on there, no luck with that either. Lol do tou find jigging or just still fishing to work better? :sign0176:

mooseknuckle
01-01-2015, 04:05 PM
So me and my friend are out at Wabamun right now, have tried some jigging, and some still fishing (just have small smelts, about 5-6") an haven't had any luck. We were in 5 ft of water and now were are in 9.7 right out from wab. Any tips?? Seeing lots on the finder but no luck. Tried a 4" white tube jig with a smelt and quick set on there, no luck with that either. Lol do tou find jigging or just still fishing to work better? :sign0176:

At wab I usually target large pike. Big stinky smelt on a treble hook and just leave it on bottom or a couple inches off bottom.

EZM
01-01-2015, 04:16 PM

We were busy in 18 feet of water ..... if you are near the townsite .... water over 10 ft is a long way out ..... I'd suggest deeper water below structure.

What you are using isn't the problem.

You may also want to try a rattling rap to bring some noise to the party.

Swrmacmullin
01-01-2015, 04:19 PM
What do you mean deeper water below structur? Should I punch some holes aether out and see if I can find some deeper water?

Wild&Free
01-01-2015, 05:41 PM
Google Anglers Atlas. it has many many depth maps as well as links to google maps of lakes across the continent to orientate your approach. makes it easier to learn a lake when you have an idea of what is below the surface a little better.

hope that helps you out a bit. never fished either lake myself so can't offer anything else.

EZM
01-01-2015, 06:05 PM
What do you mean deeper water below structur? Should I punch some holes aether out and see if I can find some deeper water?

The idea is to find the "drop off" - the point at which a gentle slope under water becomes a steeper and more rapid drop off. This transitional area often times holds larger densities of bait fish and, therefore, game fish which feed on these bait fish. Setting up on the deep part of these drop offs produces excellent results. (at the bottom of the slope).

Without a Bathymetric map ( a map showing depth contours under water ) the best way to do that is drill a series of holes, spaced equally, in a straight line moving out from the shoreline. The area which shows the biggest difference in depth is where the drop off is.

Keep in mind "aps" like Navionics are going to only provide "general whereabouts" of structure - so you may have drill holes in different directions to find that sweet spot.

To me, there is little point in drilling a random hole and staying put if there is nothing happening. Keep drilling, moving and exploring, mark the good spots with your GPS (most phones have one) and take notes about the depth.

A little effort (or good intelligence from electronics and GPS) is a sure way to hook more fish.

If you are at or near the town site ..... there is very little structure out there .... so doing this will leave you exhausted ... the entire bay, for the most part, is a gradual "bowl" but these areas do hold some pike.

If that's where you are, find deeper water and spread your holes out.

see my drawing .... the red arrow is where the fish are likely to be .... good luck