PDA

View Full Version : Burbot Depth

JareS
12-30-2014, 09:33 PM
Hi all, I'm heading to Spray Lakes next week to try to knock off a couple species
I haven't caught yet. Only trout in Alberta I haven't caught is a laker so I'm going to hit Spray Lake with smelts through the ice. My question is how deep will Burbot go? Can they be caught on the bottom at 80+ feet or should I be going shallow for the Burbs?

Thanks
Jared

saskyangler
12-30-2014, 10:12 PM
I've never fished spray lake before but i've caught tons of burbot in 50-100' of water while fishing for lakers

jacenbeers
12-30-2014, 10:15 PM
I don't think there are any burbot in Spray.

NCFlyfishin
12-30-2014, 11:08 PM
Nope no Burbot whatsoever at Spray!
Just Lake Trout, Mountain Whitefish, and the odd Cutthroat Trout.
I've never caught anything other than lakers there though. But haven't targeted anything else really. I've seen a Cutthroat pulled from there in the spring by a guy trolling close to shore with flies near driftwood boat launch. But haven't seen a whitefish yet except for videos on YouTube.

Jims71duster
12-31-2014, 07:52 AM
Hi all, I'm heading to Spray Lakes next week to try to knock off a couple species
I haven't caught yet. Only trout in Alberta I haven't caught is a laker so I'm going to hit Spray Lake with smelts through the ice. My question is how deep will Burbot go? Can they be caught on the bottom at 80+ feet or should I be going shallow for the Burbs?

Thanks
Jared

Hey,, what lake did you get your golden trout from?

JareS
12-31-2014, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the replies. Good to know with the Burbot, will have to go for them another time.

Hiked into Rainy Ridge a couple years ago for the Golden Trout. The Dolly Vardens I caught at Chester late last summer

Cheers