PDA

View Full Version : Ice fishing canmore

verslaflamme
12-30-2014, 09:48 PM
Hey guys, I am from northern Alberta going to be down in canmore around the 2nd of January. Been doing lots of ice fishing here and there is a good amount of ice, enough for a half ton to drive on. Just wondering if anyone knows what ice is like on lakes around canmore, looking to hit up spray Lake for some Lake trout. Anybody here have any tips for other lakes to check out in the area for a newbie to the area?

snubber
12-30-2014, 11:53 PM
I'm heading there on the 9th and was thinking if I can sneak away from this dumb work retreat thing I'll go to spray. There's a ton of videos on YouTube and lots of topics on here. 75% of the people I've talked to and videos I've watched guys are use buzz bombs with smelts (not minnows) can use minnows there. Give that a try.

bubba 96
12-31-2014, 06:04 AM
I'm heading there on the 9th and was thinking if I can sneak away from this dumb work retreat thing I'll go to spray. There's a ton of videos on YouTube and lots of topics on here. 75% of the people I've talked to and videos I've watched guys are use buzz bombs with smelts (not minnows) can use minnows there. Give that a try.

Better read regs again, NO BAITfISH, which means NO MINNOWS...
At spray the odds are very high you will be checked out there..
Why do you think all vids have smelts...NON BAITFISH..
Also no motorized vehicles on ice.

Vigsy
12-31-2014, 08:49 AM
Better read regs again, NO BAITfISH, which means NO MINNOWS...
At spray the odds are very high you will be checked out there..
Why do you think all vids have smelts...NON BAITFISH..
Also no motorized vehicles on ice.

ya if you really read it instead of thinkin its another person who hasnt read the regs, i believe he just made a spelling error and was trying to inform the guy you cant use minnows. so chill out go talk a walk outside and have a good new years.

fentochris
12-31-2014, 09:46 AM
Go to Spray Lakes.. Take the road right out of down town that leads toward the Nordic centre and keep going!! Follow the road, cross the water and drive until you see Driftwood on the right. Get yourself some buzz bombs or tube jigs with SMELT chunks. Park your vehicle, walk out a few hundred feet to the SW and drop down. Jig around 60-80' and you are set. Enjoy the lake and good luck!

bubba 96
12-31-2014, 10:37 AM
ya if you really read it instead of thinkin its another person who hasnt read the regs, i believe he just made a spelling error and was trying to inform the guy you cant use minnows. so chill out go talk a walk outside and have a good new years.

Might have saved the guy a ticket you can read into it whatever you want, but i read it as its wrote, so maybe you need to chill, I stated what the regs are thats all...and I have 10 days on ice already think iv been out lots..

verslaflamme
12-31-2014, 10:44 AM
Thanks guys, gonna go buy some SMELTS and buzz bombs and tube jigs. Any idea what kinda line I should use? I'm guessing you don't use a leader or heavy line. I'll post how the fishing is there and some pics of ice thickness after we go on Friday.

BanffOrBust
12-31-2014, 10:53 AM
Thanks guys, gonna go buy some SMELTS and buzz bombs and tube jigs. Any idea what kinda line I should use? I'm guessing you don't use a leader or heavy line. I'll post how the fishing is there and some pics of ice thickness after we go on Friday.

Can you report on how the road is going up the hill please? I've been wanting to go up but last time I started it was so washboard that I turned around. Granted there was no snow at that time. Tks

bubba 96
12-31-2014, 11:16 AM

I use a light braid with a fluro leader on...

fentochris
12-31-2014, 11:35 AM
The road is washboard every day of the year. Even if there is snow on it most of the time. It is a well maintained road so unless you are going up with summer slicks, take it slow you will be fine

verslaflamme
01-02-2015, 05:54 PM
Went out today, had a late start and didn't end up on the ice til around noon. Caught 3 lakers will post pics later. Ice measured at 13 inches in the places I drilled. Headed back early tomorrow morning to try and get the early biters

verslaflamme
01-02-2015, 05:55 PM
Oh and road was washboard but nothing bad... I have 4x4 though.

gasman
01-02-2015, 07:58 PM
We're you fishing at sparrow hawk or closer to driftwood, I'm planning on heading out early tomorrow for the morning, roads permitting, was up that way today and it was snowing fairly heavy.

I usually fish close to sparrow hawk, if you see me on the ice i will be in one of those orange Costco 4mans.

Steve51
01-09-2015, 10:26 AM
Will be my first time out to spray tomorrow. Will be going to driftwood. I usually go east and fish for pike and eyes so this will be a nice change. Any info would be great

huntsfurfish
01-09-2015, 10:45 AM

Thats how I took it as well.