PDA

View Full Version : Ice auger frustration

winger7mm
12-31-2014, 08:23 AM
Im looking for advise on how to proceed. Iv stored my auger the same way for years, Thinking about 10-12 years. Every year same thing, fresh gas and she fires right up first pull. This year though its another story :( Seized up. Wont even turn over a little bit. Its been a wicked auger and I want to get her going. Whats the best way to try to get it going without doing a big tear down. Or am I SOL and looking for parts?

crawad
12-31-2014, 08:30 AM
Been through this lots of times.....take the plug out and dump some oil in the cylinder and let it sit for a day .....don't try and force it whatever you do.
Give it a try tmrw some times this works sometimes it doesn't the simplest thing to start with

winger7mm
12-31-2014, 08:34 AM
Been through this lots of times.....take the plug out and dump some oil in the cylinder and let it sit for a day .....don't try and force it whatever you do.
Give it a try tmrw some times this works sometimes it doesn't the simplest thing to start with

How much oil you figure?? Like a cap full? obviously 2 stroke oil, and maybe bring it into the house since its much warmer?

Dacotensis
12-31-2014, 09:28 AM
How much oil you figure?? Like a cap full? obviously 2 stroke oil, and maybe bring it into the house since its much warmer?

Start with a cap full. Let it sit for awhile and then start gently pulling.
It should loosen up.
An hour should be plenty.
This has happened with tillers and other small machinery I've had

vic1
12-31-2014, 09:49 AM
I would use diesel instead of oil, it penetrates much better.

dodgeboy1979
12-31-2014, 09:59 AM
^ agree, diesel will work faster and better.

winger7mm
12-31-2014, 11:50 AM
I would use diesel instead of oil, it penetrates much better.

Ok so same thing there, cap full?? Like a 1 liter bottle of oil cap lol. What about after it loosens up, try and dump as much diesel out through the spark plug hole? Pull it a few times with the plug out?

Sounds like so far hope is not lost :) Thanks folks

petew
12-31-2014, 12:00 PM
First make sure the engine is actualy seized, and it isn't the pull starter at fault..Diesel is a good one if the rings are rusted to the cylinder. Just enough to go around the piston , Pull the starter off and manualy try to turn it over with a wrench on the crank bolt and the spark plug out. Also try to turn it both directions to break it free after soaking if it is seized.

Bushmonkey
12-31-2014, 04:44 PM
I know it doesn't help you now, but when you store any engine always use a fogging spray right into the the cylinder. It really helps this from not happening.

impulse
12-31-2014, 06:11 PM
^^^^^x 2 I do it every spring after hard water season

winger7mm
01-02-2015, 10:17 AM
Took the recoil off and yes motor was definatly seized. Lil bit of diesel let sit for 2 hours. Went to check er. Freed right up :D runs like a top again. Ice fishing season is saved lol. Thanks for the help yet again folks of AO

Pike fisher
01-02-2015, 09:32 PM
Now that you have it running, put a little Seafoam in with your mix gas. I did that with my older Jiffy, and it went from running OK (loving the primer and choke...like all old Jiffy's) to running like brand new. It now starts on the first pull every time (even in -23 the other morning) and has never run this good.

Kim473
01-03-2015, 05:02 AM
Now that you have it running, put a little Seafoam in with your mix gas. I did that with my older Jiffy, and it went from running OK (loving the primer and choke...like all old Jiffy's) to running like brand new. It now starts on the first pull every time (even in -23 the other morning) and has never run this good.

Seafoam = :sHa_shakeshout::sLo_BigBearHug:

Jims71duster
01-03-2015, 07:19 AM
First make sure the engine is actualy seized, and it isn't the pull starter at fault..Diesel is a good one if the rings are rusted to the cylinder. Just enough to go around the piston , Pull the starter off and manualy try to turn it over with a wrench on the crank bolt and the spark plug out. Also try to turn it both directions to break it free after soaking if it is seized.

What he said but be gentle

honker_clonker
01-03-2015, 09:19 AM
You can also try mechanic in a bottle for some further cleanup. It removes the varnish left by dried gas and oil mixtures. I neglected my auger this summer and it wouldn't run very well at all, I did the 'shop strength' application of MIB and it runs like new again. You can pick it up at Home Depot and use it as a gas additive too for general fuel stabilization. Highly recommend it.

YeeHaw
01-03-2015, 08:39 PM
I find a mixture of diesel and transmission fluid works better than just diesel. Been using this formula on dry seized engine of all kinds from Harleys to weed wackers . But then again im no mechanic.

Buckle
01-03-2015, 08:47 PM
Allways fog, I fog my Outboard, weedwacker, lawnmower anything that has a spark plug that will sit longer then a few months.

husky hunter
01-04-2015, 09:59 AM
Im looking for advise on how to proceed. Iv stored my auger the same way for years, Thinking about 10-12 years. Every year same thing, fresh gas and she fires right up first pull. This year though its another story :( Seized up. Wont even turn over a little bit. Its been a wicked auger and I want to get her going. Whats the best way to try to get it going without doing a big tear down. Or am I SOL and looking for parts?

I recently bought an electric and I know its not for everyone but does it ever eliminate a lot of problems....was on sale for a while at ct. Does about 40 holes on a charge.......

harrydude
01-04-2015, 10:03 PM
Brake fluid works too

What kind of auger?

husky hunter
01-05-2015, 02:54 PM
It is an ION....The Fishing Hole has them

GregT
01-05-2015, 03:30 PM
I had my ion out first time yesterday. Went pretty good. Cut fast, didn't fuss being -30. How has your's treated you?

husky hunter
01-05-2015, 08:18 PM
I haven't had mine long but it is great. Starts every time....