PDA

View Full Version : Wabamun First

YeeHaw
12-31-2014, 06:56 PM
Had a first at Wab today, fished about six hours, and caught more walleye than pike. Total count was eight walleye, and four pike. Nothing big though. They were hitting aggressively. Keeping the lure about three feet off bottom, jig it hard a a few second pause between pumps, they would come off bottom and nail it..

tonypower
12-31-2014, 06:58 PM
Lol I am going there tomorrow and I was planing on trying to find some so I can say I caught a walleye at wab. How was the ice?

YeeHaw
12-31-2014, 07:19 PM
Drove on no problem

tonypower
12-31-2014, 07:36 PM
Awesome! Thanks yeehaw!

EZM
12-31-2014, 09:03 PM
I was fishing next to YeeHaw today. He was still there pounding them when we left just as the sun was setting.

He caught a million walleye today on Wab .... I can`t say I`ve ever seen anything quite like that on Wabamun before. Sure .... guys can catch a few walleye here and there but this guy must have been using a secret magic lure ..... I`m pretty sure I saw a few just jump out of the hole and land on his lap.

It`s very evident the walleye populations are increasing at Wabamun. Hopefully they will get a little bigger and become the monster the pike in that lake have become.

Lots of nice pike taken today by a few members out there ..... fishing was pretty good.

waterninja
12-31-2014, 09:23 PM
I was fishing next to YeeHaw today. He was still there pounding them when we left just as the sun was setting.

He caught a million walleye today on Wab .... I can`t say I`ve ever seen anything quite like that on Wabamun before. Sure .... guys can catch a few walleye here and there but this guy must have been using a secret magic lure ..... I`m pretty sure I saw a few just jump out of the hole and land on his lap.

It`s very evident the walleye populations are increasing at Wabamun. Hopefully they will get a little bigger and become the monster the pike in that lake have become.

Lots of nice pike taken today by a few members out there ..... fishing was pretty good.
Your right, YEE-HAW does use a magic lure but I am not allowed to say what it is. Might even get me a time out from mods for giving away the secret, but hey , they work great for him. Congrats YEE-HAW for a great day on the ice.

I got skunked today at herm pond.

Kim473
01-01-2015, 06:07 AM

Approx how long were the Walleye there ?

JohninAB
01-01-2015, 06:12 AM
Yeehaw was a walleye catching machine yesterday. I went over and seen the magic lure but have been sworn to secrecy.

On average nothing overly big but he did catch a couple decent ones out of the few I seen.

On a positive note as well, only 4.5 months and be back in the boat on soft water looking for the leviathans of the deep!

flint guy
01-01-2015, 07:24 AM
Newby heading to wabamun in about 1 hour... Is the wabamun town boat launch drive on yet? Can i walk without hiking hours to a spot? I always fish moon bay in summer from the canoe, is there access in winter at the park?

Sorry to highjack the thread.

I have caught several walleye in wabamun in summer months, i think two of us landed 8 maybe ten amongst a few hammer handle pike, on the best day I can remember. They were always 10 to 14 inch range. Fishing was never consistent by time spot or technique for walleye, just happened to find em, hit and miss.

ctown
01-01-2015, 08:33 AM
Newby heading to wabamun in about 1 hour... Is the wabamun town boat launch drive on yet? Can i walk without hiking hours to a spot? I always fish moon bay in summer from the canoe, is there access in winter at the park?

Sorry to highjack the thread.

I have caught several walleye in wabamun in summer months, i think two of us landed 8 maybe ten amongst a few hammer handle pike, on the best day I can remember. They were always 10 to 14 inch range. Fishing was never consistent by time spot or technique for walleye, just happened to find em, hit and miss.

Shouldn't be any problems getting to where you want

The monster Walters are there too. I've seen them. They've been really good fishing for awhile now and I have caught them in every section of the lake. Just go with any smaller pike setup and they'll take it. I've found that just a treble and a minnow works amazing. Just let it do its thing right to the bottom, wait and repeat.

waterninja
01-01-2015, 09:21 AM
Should have mentioned in my first post.......While i cannot divulge the secret lure that YEE-HAW uses to catch walleye I can let you guys in on another secret weapon he has that seperates him from us mere mortals.
He sometimes pulls out of his bag of tricks an original Sask. made "Flying Squirrel" hat. Not many can pull of wearing this sacred headgear, but he makes it work.
Happy New Year everyone

YeeHaw
01-01-2015, 09:58 AM
Should have mentioned in my first post.......While i cannot divulge the secret lure that YEE-HAW uses to catch walleye I can let you guys in on another secret weapon he has that seperates him from us mere mortals.
He sometimes pulls out of his bag of tricks an original Sask. made "Flying Squirrel" hat. Not many can pull of wearing this sacred headgear, but he makes it work.
Happy New Year everyone

Thanks for letting the cat out of the bag. :angry3: lol

EZM
01-01-2015, 01:27 PM
So far through open water and into the last few ice seasons .... the average walleye is still under 12" ..... but I have caught a few chunky ones that were likely in the 3lb to 3.5lb range and 22"-23" kind of thing.

I know others have caught bigger ones.

I did see a huge floater (dead walleye) a couple seasons ago .... so there are some very good ones in there.

It is clear as a bell the walleye are taking off in there .... 4 years ago .... they were only a myth .... a rare and special catch ..... now, I'd say, they are common.

The way they have populated the lake is exciting YET scary ....... I am hopeful it will not disrupt the Trophy Pike populations.

YeeHaw
01-01-2015, 05:13 PM
So far through open water and into the last few ice seasons .... the average walleye is still under 12" ..... but I have caught a few chunky ones that were likely in the 3lb to 3.5lb range and 22"-23" kind of thing.

I know others have caught bigger ones.

I did see a huge floater (dead walleye) a couple seasons ago .... so there are some very good ones in there.

It is clear as a bell the walleye are taking off in there .... 4 years ago .... they were only a myth .... a rare and special catch ..... now, I'd say, they are common.

The way they have populated the lake is exciting YET scary ....... I am hopeful it will not disrupt the Trophy Pike populations.

Hopfully we will start seeing some smaller ones in the lake, in order to see if they are spawning.

FreshAirGetter
01-01-2015, 06:55 PM
I'm not sure where you guys find walleye there...i didn't even see one today. Caught 12 pike. Saw perch but they were too tiny for me to even bother putting down a perch lure. Had a couple whitefish try to take my lure but I had a guardian jack protecting the lure and scaring them away....then when I caught him finally he broke my rod and snapped my line and got tangled in my camera...darn jacks!

EZM
01-01-2015, 07:04 PM
I'm not sure where you guys find walleye there...i didn't even see one today. Caught 12 pike. Saw perch but they were too tiny for me to even bother putting down a perch lure. Had a couple whitefish try to take my lure but I had a guardian jack protecting the lure and scaring them away....then when I caught him finally he broke my rod and snapped my line and got tangled in my camera...darn jacks!

Walleye are all over the lake. There are many of them and the population is healthy. My biggest walleye caught at Wabamun (not a monster but a nice one) was trolling a 6" little ernie crankbait while targeting pike in the summer. It was a nice surprise.

YeeHaw was fishing literally 20-25 yards from JohninAB and I and we didn't even see one on the camera all day. He was pulling them up every few minutes .... so ...... it's weird .... but that's the way it goes sometimes.

Trust me .... they are in there. And there's lots of them.

Every year we seem to catch more and more of them.

ineptflux
01-01-2015, 07:39 PM
i alway see yeehaw fishing on the anthony henday lol :bad_boys_20:

btw we've seen some pretty big walleye on the camera at wab, but it's only the little dinks that bite.

flint guy
01-01-2015, 07:48 PM
My secret for trolling the henday is a garbage pail lid in silver on a grab hook with 3/8 chain leader. Pulls in the police all day long.

ineptflux
01-01-2015, 07:55 PM
Yeehaw had a few really nice battery chargers trolling behind him on the Henday one day with some 75/0 trebles and a 55/0 stinger treble. He practices CnR though, so I was released unharmed. :bad_boys_20:

tonypower
01-01-2015, 08:54 PM
I was out all day and only got a couple skinny pike. I think I was way to shallow.... Oh and still have yet to see a wab eye. Awesome day thought

YeeHaw
01-01-2015, 09:24 PM
Yeehaw had a few really nice battery chargers trolling behind him on the Henday one day with some 75/0 trebles and a 55/0 stinger treble. He practices CnR though, so I was released unharmed. :bad_boys_20:

I only troll the Henday during work hours and when im ice fishing the NSR for sturgeon :)

RavYak
01-01-2015, 09:26 PM
There are a fair amount of walleye out there but like many lakes they seem to be very specific to where they are located unlike the pike which are practically everywhere.

A buddy and I went out there on new years eve to try some night fishing out for the first time. Either night fishing for pike/walleye sucks or it was just an off night because we hit a couple of known producing spots up and only had one bite all evening...

ineptflux
01-02-2015, 12:58 AM
:bad_boys_20:I only troll the Henday during work hours and when im ice fishing the NSR for sturgeon :)

:bad_boys_20::bad_boys_20::bad_boys_20: