PDA

View Full Version : Skunked again!

Bowman90
01-01-2015, 03:54 PM
Headed out yesterday to pigeon lake provincial park for some ice fishing didn't catch a thing, used everything from tip-ups with minnows to rods and jigging( lime green, yellow tails, minnow jigs).

Fish didn't seem to be into anything yesterday!

mikebossy
01-01-2015, 03:57 PM
what time of day? probably best before sunset,ie the hour and a half before, and next best around sunrise, the hour when its coming up but not fully up

Bowman90
01-01-2015, 04:19 PM
guys were there from 8 a.m till 4 p.m and nothing.

sportman
01-01-2015, 04:23 PM
Was at provincial park yesterday but didn't get there until about noon. Slow, 3 walleye and 1 pike all day, saw 2 whitefish but they swam by. Just around dusk/dark is started and went crazy, rods going off constantly. Caught a nice 24" walleye.

Bowman90
01-01-2015, 07:48 PM
Nice!

RavYak
01-01-2015, 09:34 PM
Now been skunked the last 2 times out... I plan on changing that tomorrow though, I sure hope so anyways cause there is a good chance I might get skunked again on Saturday...

wildwoods
01-01-2015, 09:36 PM
How's the ice for driving. 2 weeks ago it was 12-14". Bad white ice though. Have things improved?

Moefoe
01-01-2015, 10:07 PM
With possibly the exception of Perch most of the fish we chase under the ice are highly affected by the Barometer, high pressure vs low pressure and you could double that if Whitefish are the main species your after. Up and down the province things have been a little slow, with a few exceptions because of the low pressure system hangin around...two weeks leading up to xmas the high pressure system had the fish, especially the Walleyes in my area feeding hard. Keep an eye the Barometer on the weather channel, if you catch it right say when it's falling slowly from a stable high pressure system it can be lights out. Something to keep in mind if like me it's a 90min drive to get on the ice!!

EZM
01-01-2015, 10:16 PM
With possibly the exception of Perch most of the fish we chase under the ice are highly affected by the Barometer, high pressure vs low pressure and you could double that if Whitefish are the main species your after.

I can't comment on how each particular species is effected by barometric changes, but there is definitely an effect on fishing.

We were at Wabamun, at a great spot and probably iced about 6-7 fish/per person on average ( there were about 8 of us ).

That spot is usually good for at least twice that amount of fish per person on an average day.

Barometric pressure is a big factor ..... since I've been tracking it, it has remained largely true with very few exceptions.

davegrant
01-02-2015, 07:46 AM
And it usually drops huge on Fridays to turn off fishing for weekend fisherman. Today is prime example. tomorrow gonna be Slowwww.

Kim473
01-02-2015, 08:24 AM
And it usually drops huge on Fridays to turn off fishing for weekend fisherman. Today is prime example. tomorrow gonna be Slowwww.

Thats a F&W ploy against all the fisher people. For sure.

Gonna turn on soon. Monday, LOL.

buckmaster
01-02-2015, 09:59 AM
what time of day? probably best before sunset,ie the hour and a half before, and next best around sunrise, the hour when its coming up but not fully up

X2, just before sunset is a good time anywhere from 8 to 20 fow. We found that trying certain coloured jigheads made a big difference with catching walleyes..

waterninja
01-02-2015, 10:32 AM
Don't know enough about barometric pressures to comment but we are coming up on a full moon which experiance has taught me is a lousy time for trout and makes day fishing pike and wallies slow but they really start biting at dusk and well into the night.
And of course we get a dump of snow with minus 20 temps just before the weekend to make it even more fun.

davegrant
01-02-2015, 10:57 AM
Thats a F&W ploy against all the fisher people. For sure.

Gonna turn on soon. Monday, LOL.

Not affiliated with F&W just happen to have really bad luck when comes to Weather . Murphy's Law ... :)

riderprider
01-02-2015, 11:06 AM
Was out at pigeon yesterday. Just like everyone else has been saying. Nothing until dusk and actually almost dark then we had 5 in less than an hour. They were not aggressive at all. All but one came on our deadsticked lines. Hoping to try Wab on Monday. Hope this snow doesn't bring on flood water.

EZM
01-02-2015, 11:39 AM
Was out at pigeon yesterday. Just like everyone else has been saying. Nothing until dusk and actually almost dark then we had 5 in less than an hour. They were not aggressive at all. All but one came on our deadsticked lines. Hoping to try Wab on Monday. Hope this snow doesn't bring on flood water.

I'm guessing there will be some flooding on Wab. The water level after drilling was very close to top of the ice and not down a few inches like usual indicating good solid ice .....that was right before the freeze up and big dump.

It won't take much if the snow weight to push it down a little and make a big mess for a little while.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

Good news is it's cold enough to turn to ice pretty quickly.

CanadianBadass
01-02-2015, 11:50 AM
Now been skunked the last 2 times out... I plan on changing that tomorrow though, I sure hope so anyways cause there is a good chance I might get skunked again on Saturday...

A good chance ? ? ? ? Oh ... You will be skunked ! lol by the time you get there we will have a bunch iced already ! lol lol

EZM
01-02-2015, 06:28 PM

If you get skunked a third time you will be required to remove your "Alberta's Ultimate Angler" banner.

I eagerly await your Saturday report and remain hopeful you will be able to keep your giant banner reminding us all of your fishing mastery.

Skunking happens ........ first trip of the year .... chasing brookies ......... (usually very willing and easy to catch) resulting in a skunk for me too.

3 in a row, however, will result in a stripping of your championship status .... so get out there and work hard !! :)