PDA

View Full Version : Fish Camera in the summer??

bloopbloob
01-01-2015, 05:12 PM
Does anybody ever use their fish camera outside of ice fishing? The new Vexilar I just got has an attachment fin and it says you can troll it behind a boat. I'm quite skeptical of this, but even anchored, how well does a camera work with no ice and a lot of sunlight? It's my second camera, but never tried either in the summer.

Nicerink
01-01-2015, 10:17 PM
I have the past few summers. It is hard to keep the camera near the bottom where the best visibility is even with a fairly calm lake. It was good to find some new spots though , just a lot more work than in winter. In fact I put in a couple of strictly scouting missions with it then left it in the trailer. Trolling for me was out with the amount of structure and depth changes. Kids loved it. I used it when anchored or drifting.
Hope that helps.
Cheers.

huntsfurfish
01-01-2015, 10:40 PM
I intend to use mine on my downrigger this summer. Will use it in conjunction with my HDS 9 Touch.

Have used them in summer before but can be hard to control. With the fins on the camera actually faces forward not at what your are trolling, but still works good for iding rock and weeds. If real calm can see jigging.

Actually put in downrigger mount last summer/fall very close to bow. That way will be able to run bottom bouncers etc behind the camera. Will mount cameras on the canon ball and just above. Should be awesome!

Going to try different cameras. Have AV multi vu and will try AV camera, Vexilar and Marcum. Plus will try my new go pro3+ black mounted to the ball. And will try the New Water Wolf camera as well.

chriscosta
01-02-2015, 11:43 AM
When your sitting still walleye or perch jiggin ...point it down and keep it up high you can see the fish from about 6 feet above em

EZM
01-02-2015, 03:19 PM
I wanted to try it out in the summer. I thought about rigging up a telescopic painter's pole so I could control the camera.

There are few very productive areas, and sometimes strange structure I've found on some of the lakes I've fished. Would be cool to see what's down there.

I think I have a side image of a sailboat hull in one of the lakes I fish ...... this would be the way to find out.