PDA

View Full Version : Rock island lake

finner-duramax
01-02-2015, 05:25 PM
Has anyone tried rock island lake this year? Is there any flood water this year?

The Fish King
01-02-2015, 06:45 PM
Have been to a few lakes in the region. All have patchy flood water. Ice ranges from 10-17 inches as of last week. Good luck!

Warmbreeze
01-02-2015, 08:32 PM
I checked it out a few days ago. Did not fish it as had lots of floodwater. The entrance had floodwater big time but that could be frozen as it looked like no snow cover. Further out there was lots. Checked with sled. Long cracks going from North to South across lake that had major floodwater as well as other random spots.

Will probably be good after the cold weather. Bring a sled if you are going to try and hope the spot you want to fish doesn't have the floodwater which was quite deep. There are spots with no floodwater but weather they have fish or not is a different story.

Again this was a few days ago and today was very cold so who knows, could be good! Ill be checking it out next Friday again. Good luck if you go and be safe! Let us know how it goes!

capper
01-02-2015, 09:00 PM
Anyone have any idea as to why that lake always has the worst floodwater, especially near the boat launch. 5yrs ago we were standing in 10" of flood water, packed up and went to calling and there was nothing but Ice.

finner-duramax
01-02-2015, 09:25 PM
I'm fishing wabasca this weekend, figured I'd ask how the flood water was. There's always flood water on rock island, kind of a **** off

Penner
01-03-2015, 07:06 AM
Smaller lakes don't get the big winds to help move the snow around and off the lake. Snow just accumulates. Smaller lakes also tend to freeze up earlier to which gives them a longer window to accumulate snow.

Gboe8
01-03-2015, 11:00 AM
Question, has anyone had any luck with perch In rock island? Caught a few tiny ones in the summer but have yet to see a decent one caught out of there.