PDA

View Full Version : winnifred lake ice fishing.

S_Mooj
01-02-2015, 08:00 PM
hey guys

looking to do my first trip to winnifred here next week. just wondering if any one had any tips on what to use, where to fish, ect.

also how is the road there? i will be bringing my sled to put around on the lake, but as far as getting to the lake can i drive right to it?

thanks.

capper
01-02-2015, 08:51 PM
Can't speak about this year, but a few years ago we sayed at grist in the winter and you could drive right to the lake. We fished both lakes and did quite poor at Winifred, bait ban makes It tough. no tips here but would be curious to hear from guys who icefish this lake. Good luck!

S_Mooj
01-03-2015, 03:20 PM
After multiple searches ive managed to find something on the road conditions,
Just looking for some tips one what kind of jigs to use :)

perch seeker
01-03-2015, 08:02 PM
A group of us went ice fishing to winefred two winters ago. We drove to Grist lake lodge and then sledded over to winefred to fish. I would recommend you head:angry3: to what is called banana island. we fished the south west corner in about 10 fow. It was really good. we are planning on another trip up there this winter as well. Let us know how the lake treats you. Just remember its a real bugger throwing 95cm pike and 8lb walleye back down the hole lol

lakebesnard
01-04-2015, 08:14 AM
North narrows would be worth a try as well. Let us know how you make out ...good luck

LCCFisherman
01-05-2015, 09:56 AM
Ya bait ban sucks!!! I hear you see a TON of wolves out there.. bring the 7mm!

dodgeboy1979
01-05-2015, 11:01 AM
i have only ever used the large 5 of diamonds jigged in about 10-15 ft of water there. Caught whites, walleye and pike on that hook. Banana island is a good spot to go.

arrow_baron
01-05-2015, 01:06 PM
A couple buddies and I are heading out there Friday. I had great luck over the holidays using those tip up rigs that I got from cabelas I would just use a big smelt hook one hook in the tail and the other in the head and just dead stick it. I fish in BC in the summers quite a bit and we sometimes have luck using baitrix. Has anyone ever tried this or think it may work?

binnzer32
01-05-2015, 01:37 PM
BAIT IS ILLEGAL on Winifred.

A couple buddies and I are heading out there Friday. I had great luck over the holidays using those tip up rigs that I got from cabelas I would just use a big smelt hook one hook in the tail and the other in the head and just dead stick it. I fish in BC in the summers quite a bit and we sometimes have luck using baitrix. Has anyone ever tried this or think it may work?

Couleestalker
01-05-2015, 01:56 PM

The OP asked about Winnifred not Winefred. Those are 2 different lakes. Winnifred does not have a bait ban.

CK Angler
01-05-2015, 02:08 PM
The OP asked about Winnifred not Winefred. Those are 2 different lakes. Winnifred does not have a bait ban.

I noticed that lol but no one corrected when guys started taking about Winefred, what lake we talking about? winni or win ?

Rabdo
01-05-2015, 02:20 PM
Pretty sure everyone is talking about the lake by Conklin, since the 2nd post mentions Grist lake lol

capper
01-05-2015, 03:00 PM
My bad S Mooj, sorry for derail.

arrow_baron
01-05-2015, 03:38 PM

Baitrix is a rubber imitation of a fish. I should have clarified in my first post that I was planning on substituting smelts with baitrix using the same tip up rig

www.baitrix.com

Talking moose
01-05-2015, 05:08 PM
Baitrix is a rubber imitation of a fish. I should have clarified in my first post that I was planning on substituting smelts with baitrix using the same tip up rig

www.baitrix.com

Undscented?

arrow_baron
01-05-2015, 05:25 PM
Undscented?

yes they're unscented. Atleast the ones I have are.

Warmbreeze
01-05-2015, 07:48 PM
I am curious why there is a bait ban on this lake? I prefer no bait anyways with the exception of tip ups for pike!

But if you can catch pike, walleye, and whites on a 5 of diamonds then I guess you don't need. That would be fun to catch all three species on one lure (and maybe one hole).

LCCFisherman
01-06-2015, 08:00 AM
I think because SRD knows you would just slay with bait!!!!!

S_Mooj
01-09-2015, 08:46 PM
ended up going out yesterday. didnt really know where we were going, looking at the map we took the shortest road to the lake, ended up at winefred lake outfitters. trapper paul was more than happy to charge us 40 bucks to unload there and suggested fishing the point to the north east of his place.

it was sun rise and freezing , -35 with the wind chill, so after a quick ride out to the point we set up in a hurry. fished there for about 3 hours with no luck. packed up and traveled over to banana island, we set up on the south east side of the island closer to shore, more so to block the wind that was just howling.

we ending up fishing there for the rest of the day, managed to pull in one 3 lb pike.

all in all nothing to write home about, but now im familiar with the lake and how to get there. planning on going back next set of days off, if its warmer. hopefully be able to move around a little more and do some prospecting.

trapper paul seems to have decent rates on his rooms during the winter. not sure if its per person or not but he said 80 dollars a night. thinking of renting a cabin next time we head out and fish for 2 days instead of one.

S_Mooj
01-09-2015, 08:50 PM
and sorry for the spelling error in the title and first post, i was trying to refer to winefred.

astepanuk
03-10-2015, 02:28 PM
Hey guys
Anyone else been out to Winefred lake heading out saturday hoepfully we can hook a few big jacks.