PDA

View Full Version : Gov. scraping Metis deal

HUNTNUT
04-05-2007, 04:00 PM
Just read this in the Edmonton Sun.

Alberta is tearing up its controversial interim Metis hunting deal because it's "a dog that cannot hunt," says the sustainable resource development minister.

Ted Morton says the province is meeting Metis leaders to draft a long-term deal during the next 90 days to accommodate Metis rights to fish, hunt and trap.

He said the current deal, reached in 2004, is not acceptable to the Tory caucus and the courts have said the process used to create it is unacceptable.

International, Intergovernmental and Aboriginal Affairs Minister Guy Boutilier said the expiry date on the existing agreement is July 1 and he's optimistic there will be a new deal to replace it.

Audrey Poitras, Metis Nation of Alberta president, said the Metis Nation is committed to working with the province to come up with new rules.

Duk Dog
04-05-2007, 04:11 PM
It is in the Calgary Sun today as well.

jrs
04-05-2007, 04:53 PM
The governments reccomendations sure sound good. I feel there is nothing wrong with traditional use for food (lots of deer, elk, moose to go around). I have a friend who's an active member of the nation and they seem just as angry about guys shooting trophy sheep, bears etc. Hope it all comes together and everyone can be happy again.

Chris89lx
04-06-2007, 10:04 PM
It will be very interesting to see what the new agreement will look like.
I am actually eligable for Metis status but have not applied.
I have a (1st) cousin that has her status for schooling reasons.
What to do?

jrs
04-06-2007, 10:11 PM
Yeah Chris89lx,

Theres been some nasty arguments about this issue on the board in the past. I think most guys agree conservation is the main concern and trophy hunting without buying tags is abuse of the system. I have a few friends who are members of the nation but they buy tags and stick with the govs regs. They have the designation for traditional purposes and pride in there heritage. I'm sure you've heard of some of the misuses in the system like everyone else. Hope it all works out properly.

Interim Metis
04-06-2007, 10:56 PM
JRS. Plenty of moose & elk to go around......4 years and still waiting for a tag. Give your head a shake.

Gov. scraping Metis
04-07-2007, 12:50 PM
In todays world there is absolutly no reason for anything like the Metis agreement even if it is strictly for "subsistence" hunting. Everyone knows that it is far easier/cheaper to go to the grocery store and buy your steaks rather than spend lots of money on gas and supplies to go to the bush and possibly not end up coming home with anything anyways. Not to mention the time that has to be dedicated to the cause. Hopefully the goverment does something right this time and scraps this rediculous peice of legislation.>: >: >:

prairieboy
04-07-2007, 01:01 PM
I sent an e-mail to Guy Boutilier expressing my opinion that any future agreements follow the precedent set forth in the Powley case,and only allow the Metis special hunting priviledges on Metis lands.It can't hurt for other people to send him e-mails as well.

sheep hunter
04-07-2007, 01:12 PM
Good point PB......letter sent today!

jrs
04-07-2007, 03:09 PM
"JRS. Plenty of moose & elk to go around......4 years and still waiting for a tag. Give your head a shake."

I've sent my letters. If they take all the reccomendations and its restricted to those on traditional lands at least Powley is satisfied and management will be possible. I've been waiting 5 years for a moose tag as well, sucks but theres many reasons it is this way.

Tucumseh
04-07-2007, 07:26 PM
PB, do you have George's email address handy. Could you post a live link so all can send a letter.
Thx!

prairieboy
04-07-2007, 07:54 PM
Below is a link to the contact info for Guy Boutilier

www.assembly.ab.ca/net/in...rnumber=54 (http://www.assembly.ab.ca/net/index.aspx?p=mla_contact&rnumber=54)