PDA

View Full Version : LiL'Buddy heater fireball

Alberta Bigbore
01-04-2015, 11:47 PM
Had a fire in the one man hut today :p

I was using my one man HT popup hut today. Trying out my new Vexilar FLX28 flasher. Had my Mr.Heater lil'buddy, on the floor. Started all the same. Im checking a mark on the flasher and bam... a big 1-2 foot flame is surrounding the head of the Lil'buddy heater.

Wtf

I couldnt pick it up.. so i open the tent.. put my thinsulate wool gloves on... dunk my hand down the hole so its drenched wet.... and grab the handle of the heater and launch it out the tent. Thought when these tip.. there is auto shut off.. Nope... the heater turned into a fire ball. Lol moved the truck. Walked behind my sled as a shield. No clue if that tank would explode or not. Got my flasher and tent way out if the way... and from a distance shoveled snow into a mound on top of it. Fires out. Lol all melted and looks like it came from the igniter pilot, thats where most damage is.

Any chance this could be replaced from the factory or....?

Was a eye opener for sure today.

1bluZebec
01-04-2015, 11:50 PM
Wow that's nuts! After reading this I went and Shu mine was ff immediately after it has been running on high in the garage for the last few hours. Scary stuff

Jack&7
01-05-2015, 12:18 AM
ABB...

I am sure Mr. Heater will want to hear about this. They will want to know what caused it as that is a major problem which could result in serious injury/death...which equals liability....which equals $$$$ paid out in claims.

I would give them a call tmrw ASAP.

EDIT: any pics?

Hydro1
01-05-2015, 12:49 AM
ABB...

I am sure Mr. Heater will want to hear about this. They will want to know what caused it as that is a major problem which could result in serious injury/death...which equals liability....which equals $$$$ paid out in claims.

I would give them a call tmrw ASAP.

EDIT: any pics?

+1
Geeze, Glad your all good Alberta bigbore.
Should get one for free from Mr heater for sure.
I'm now second guessing buying my little brother one for Christmas.

ETOWNCANUCK
01-05-2015, 12:51 AM
Yeah I'd call Mr Heater too.

Kim473
01-05-2015, 05:21 AM
Wow ! Glad your safe and not hurt. Fast thinking on your part, good job on getting it under control.

Any chance you refill the little bottles your self. Maybe over filled with too much liquid Propane ?

Bassett
01-05-2015, 06:25 AM
Every so often mine will shoot a small fire ball out of it. I believe too much gas builds up while tryin to start it and it expels it all at once? Wouldn't want to deal with what you had going on in a one man tent that's for sure!

Alberta Bigbore
01-05-2015, 06:31 AM
Wow ! Glad your safe and not hurt. Fast thinking on your part, good job on getting it under control.

Any chance you refill the little bottles your self. Maybe over filled with too much liquid Propane ?

I just buy 3 paks 1lb tanks at canadian tire.

I ll take a couple pics tonight. . Its melted down by the pilot light. And then the plastic around where the tank joins after it landed on its side, which isnt far from.the pilot light.

The lil buddy doesnt have a valve.. just on off. Itbhad never beem dropped, and always put back in its box .

58thecat
01-05-2015, 07:25 AM
The story goes more like this about four hours earlier two pieces of toast laid out on a plate all covered in Stagg Chilli was consumed.:thinking-006: The internal movements of setting up and getting ready to fish percolated, the body's fail safe internal one way flapper valve failed emitting a volatile gas, Lill Buddy ignited the Chilli gas ball hence the explosion and fire.
The report to AO has been submitted with these finding....:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Kokanee9
01-05-2015, 07:26 AM
Give customer service a call and see what they have to say.

1-800-251-0001

waterninja
01-05-2015, 09:13 AM
Glad your ok. Sounds like it could have been worse. Which model of little buddy heater were you using? I think they come in different models or sizes.

Dean2
01-05-2015, 09:16 AM
Glad it worked out so well. Lil'Buddy has great after market service. I have no doubt they will cover replacing it. They clearly aren't supposed to do that stuff so I am sure they will want to get a good look at it.

sco22
01-05-2015, 09:24 AM
Mine has been through hell and back. It has been launched out of the back of a sled when crossing a lake, fell into flood water, run for 3 days straight keeping quads and people warm in -35, been covered in mud. . .and I have never had any issues with it. This has to be a factory defect.

Cheers,

Sco22

Bigwoodsman
01-05-2015, 09:37 AM
Glad to hear you're OK ABB. As others have suggested call Mr. Heater, and share your story with them.

BW

Wild&Free
01-05-2015, 09:39 AM
With the countless positive reviews of this product and others from the same company this is the first negative report I've seen.

glad you're okay ABB, And the heater is all you lost.

how was the fishing?

rafhone
01-05-2015, 09:58 AM
I've heard that refilling the 1 lb tanks (that are not designed for refilling) can cause malfunctions. Jus say'n

rusty99
01-05-2015, 10:13 AM
Wow that is scary! Keep us updated if the get in contact with Mr. Heater customer service. I'm going to be picking up the Big Buddy Heater this week, heard nothing but positive reviews, plus they are on sale for $130.

EZM
01-05-2015, 06:40 PM
pics or it didn't happen ; )...... the dropping and rolling part .....

wow ... that's pretty scary inside a tent ..... glad you weren't hurt

Jack&7
01-05-2015, 07:06 PM
I should've mentioned in my earlier post, ABB...I have a L'il Buddy too so I am curious what you find out.

flygirrl
01-05-2015, 07:22 PM
Wow I have one of those to and so far have never had an issue. Sometime when I'm lighting it it will form a fireball as its if igniting that is all I've seen with it

bradvtown
01-05-2015, 07:39 PM
Any chance you didn't have the bottle on tight? Would explain why it didn't shut off and since it's not going through an orifice it'd be quite a bit bigger flame. Seen this happen with a BBQ and those dumb black hand tighten fittings.

JReed
01-06-2015, 04:03 PM

I was using my one man HT popup hut today. Trying out my new Vexilar FLX28 flasher. Had my Mr.Heater lil'buddy, on the floor. Started all the same. Im checking a mark on the flasher and bam... a big 1-2 foot flame is surrounding the head of the Lil'buddy heater.

Wtf

I couldnt pick it up.. so i open the tent.. put my thinsulate wool gloves on... dunk my hand down the hole so its drenched wet.... and grab the handle of the heater and launch it out the tent. Thought when these tip.. there is auto shut off.. Nope... the heater turned into a fire ball. Lol moved the truck. Walked behind my sled as a shield. No clue if that tank would explode or not. Got my flasher and tent way out if the way... and from a distance shoveled snow into a mound on top of it. Fires out. Lol all melted and looks like it came from the igniter pilot, thats where most damage is.

This happened to me last year as well, i took it out of the tent and watched it for 5 seconds before I decided to gamble and shut it off before the tank blew up. Funny thing is it still works, haven't had a problem since

hiddenwalleye
01-09-2015, 10:52 PM
Hi BigBore;

Same thing happened to Us, Big Puff and was on Fire.!!....:mad3:

Richmuiz
01-09-2015, 11:27 PM

Wtf

Any chance u have a video of all this :)

silverdoctor
01-10-2015, 12:41 AM
Good to know, have one that hasn't been used yet. This weekend - I hope

YeeHaw
01-10-2015, 08:14 AM
Glad your ok, as mentioned -call them.:)

elkdump
01-10-2015, 08:20 AM
Any chance u have a video of all this :)

If North Korea doesn't hi-jack the video before it is released in theatres ? The release title will be "Ernest Goes Ice Fishing in Alberta " :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Glad he didn't get hurt ! :)

petew
01-10-2015, 08:48 AM
Was it making any noise before the fire? If they flash back and ignite at the gas orifice instead of in the burning chamber you will gear a rumbling sound, and they can flare up as the flame is not burning where it is supposed to be burning. When properly lit and burning all you should hear is a faint hiss. Flashback usualy happens when lighting because the cold propane doesn't rise to the burner area . Quite common with cat heaters.
If they tip over and don't shut down you are running liquid propane to the burner instead of vapour and this makes for a very big flame.

BobLoblaw
01-10-2015, 03:44 PM
That'll wake you up in a hurry!
Did the beard come through this OK???:)

Kurt505
01-10-2015, 05:49 PM
How's your hair?

Crazy man, good to hear you weren't hurt. I'd be amazed if Buddy doesn't replace it for free.

waterninja
01-10-2015, 06:01 PM
If North Korea doesn't hi-jack the video before it is released in theatres ? The release title will be "Ernest Goes Ice Fishing in Alberta " :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Glad he didn't get hurt ! :)
Ernest does go fishing in AB.

silverdoctor
01-10-2015, 06:11 PM
You didn't fart in the one man tent did you?

Sawry, had to say it...