PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk ice reel line / leader setups.

degasvegas
01-05-2015, 11:55 AM
Just wondering how everyone has their rods setup and what kind of line they use.

I have 4# flouro spooled on my L and UL rods and 6# flouro spooled onto my heavier rods.

After that I use flouro leaders with hooks tied to them that I snap onto swivels on the main line.

I've been thinking about tearing the flouro off my spools though, it seems like it jumps off the reel way too easy. I was thinking about putting braid on the reels and then just snap the flouro leaders onto the line. Anyone have any good braid recommendations to spool onto an ice rod?

Dean2
01-05-2015, 11:59 AM
Fireline Ice works great as does Spyderwire Ice. 8 L Firewire is only about 2 LB diameter so no problem getting lots of line on a small spool. I agree that the Flouro is too stiff for good cold weather use as a main line. If you still want stretch use mono in Cold water version. Stays far more limp in cold weather.

huntsfurfish
01-05-2015, 12:02 PM
Do you use the reels summer and winter?

yetiseeker
01-05-2015, 12:10 PM
The problem with running braided line for ice fishing - is that the braid freezes if you aren't in a tent. If you are above xero - no problem - works great and very sensitive.

Try pulling off 30 or so feet of the flouro off the main line and retie to reduce the amount of spooling.

Either that, or run mono with a fluor leader.

fish gunner
01-05-2015, 12:24 PM
Berkly big game 4lb -10lb for my non pike outfits. 30lb braid on my level wind with a wire leader or 30-50lb floro. The four lb can be tricky to tie but thats normal in light line . my some reels get used on the ice and open water.

cube
01-05-2015, 03:00 PM
Just wondering how everyone has their rods setup and what kind of line they use.

I have 4# flouro spooled on my L and UL rods and 6# flouro spooled onto my heavier rods.

After that I use flouro leaders with hooks tied to them that I snap onto swivels on the main line.

I've been thinking about tearing the flouro off my spools though, it seems like it jumps off the reel way too easy. I was thinking about putting braid on the reels and then just snap the flouro leaders onto the line. Anyone have any good braid recommendations to spool onto an ice rod?

For those line weights I like Berkley Micro Ice mono the best. It has limited stretch and is very limp compared to flouro.

EZM
01-05-2015, 06:15 PM
I have not had any issues with braided line freezing either inside the tent or outside on tip ups. I do, however, use suffix ice braid for most of my ice fishing gear ..... so maybe it's less prone to freezing???

For Pike, Walleye and Lakers I run braided line to a swivel then add fluorocarbon leader material for abrasion resistance (toothy pike) and clarity to keep fish from spooking. Note this is not fluorocarbon line - but the fluorocarbon leader material (which is different). The leader material works as well, and better, than steel leader with zero issues with big toothy pike.

My lighter set ups are simple mono - invisible and easier to manage compared to fluorocarbon line. It sucks when a pike comes by and steals your wire worm or small jig but the mono is light, invisible and provides some stretch for whites, trout and perch.

I highly recommend running a swivel if you are using a spinning reel as opposed to a level wind or center pin reel.