PDA

View Full Version : why is gull merky????

happyfisher
01-05-2015, 06:29 PM
was at the lake and it is murky (brownlows)....last year it was real clear...any ideas why? Is it clearing up as i have a camera and will be out this saturday...has anyone been out recently and can comment?

Thanks all

Happy

yoteblaster
01-05-2015, 08:20 PM
It,s been murky for a while now, not sure why but it sucks

SNAPFisher
01-05-2015, 08:41 PM
Yep, same thing HF. I have found only 5 feet of visibility where I had 12-13 feet last year. Makes sight fishing for whites kinda challenging...

Same thing at Sylvan. It is clearer than Gull but about half the visibility from last year. Maybe something to do with the no snow earlier and weeds...:thinking-006:
Don't really know. Pigeon is fine and clear as usual....my head hurts

Deo101
01-05-2015, 08:46 PM
I think it's the abnormally large amount of sediment....:bad_boys_20:

Talking moose
01-05-2015, 08:56 PM
Brownlowes? Probably the thousand jigs and spoons bouncing off the lake bottom.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

yoteblaster
01-05-2015, 08:58 PM
Ya it,s been stupid busy there. Moving my shack outa there

Adwittoutdoors
01-05-2015, 11:09 PM
You are one funny Talking Moose !!! I'm still laughing. Keep it up. :-)

pikester
01-06-2015, 07:35 AM
Read in an ice fishing magazine once that the conditions of the lake at freeze up dictate the clarity of the water for most of the winter. Must have been very windy & kicked up sediment in the shallows on Gull at freeze up. Not really sure why it doesn't settle though, I would guess it has something to do with the density of the water.

Kim473
01-06-2015, 09:20 AM
Is it because of spawning and the fish kicking up the bottom?

Sooner
01-06-2015, 10:27 AM
In flow currents?

Macdrizzle
01-06-2015, 10:32 AM
Many people are pointing the finger to the lake turning over. But I can't see how that's possible since early Jan. isn't typically the time for a lake to turn over...

fish gunner
01-06-2015, 10:57 AM
Omg its so simple . The tony soprano cabins still using the septic system from 1970. Sitting in the monkey top listening to "white sunglasses" tell how he's not had to pump his septic in ten yrs ...doesnt take a rocket applianctist...or the guy I over heard yelling at the hoe opperator that wouldn't put a hole in the concrete holding tank ?? Over develpment oh that and folk that want a city lawn in the country. Dandy lions dont kill lakes:)

Macdrizzle
01-06-2015, 11:08 AM
Omg its so simple . The tony soprano cabins still using the septic system from 1970. Sitting in the monkey top listening to "white sunglasses" tell how he's not had to pump his septic in ten yrs ...doesnt take a rocket applianctist...or the guy I over heard yelling at the hoe opperator that wouldn't put a hole in the concrete holding tank ?? Over develpment oh that and folk that want a city lawn in the country. Dandy lions dont kill lakes:)

I agree. Guy seems to know what he's talking about.

1bluZebec
01-06-2015, 12:18 PM
Turnover??

The Fish King
01-06-2015, 12:28 PM
I would bet that it a result of the excessive algal blooms and low snow cover. As light can still penetrate through the water column the algae and phytoplankton can continue to photosynthesize and are likely still suspended. Wait till feb and some more snow....will likely clear up.
Turnover is a result of denser water falling through the water column which forces the warmer water to the top...basically a completw inversion of a lake. As ice has been on the lake for quite some time You can rule out turnover as the problem.
Cheers,
FK

Red Bullets
01-06-2015, 01:29 PM
Hmmmm.....:thinking-006:.....The jackfish are swimming clockwise laps around the lake creating a vortex of current. Then the whitefish, to avoid the cruising pike, swim counterclockwise in the deeper middle which creates an agitation in the rotation of the clockwise currents, thus creating the washing machine effect. :sHa_shakeshout:

My real guess is vegetation decompostion is occurring or the people seeing murky water have cataracts. :)

caljouw2003
01-06-2015, 03:07 PM
Three weeks ago crystal clear, last weekend could not see the bottom in 10-12 FOW it was very cloudy. I would also like to Know what causes the water to cloud up this early? Typicly on Gull (from my experience any way) the water does not start getting cloudy until the end of Febuary through mid march when the Ice starts melting.

Frog
01-06-2015, 08:09 PM
I was out on Pine Lake last week and it was very murky as well.

fish gunner
01-06-2015, 08:45 PM
I was out on Pine Lake last week and it was very murky as well.

Has been for years . used to be glass clear. Iirc they had a terrible rain in may in 05-06 right after the nitrogen was added to the crop fields . As I was told by a local . Nutrient loading just like most central lakes how it gets there is all that differs. None of our lakes have actual rivers in and out . Gull now has a canal ?? Im not sure of its flow.