PDA

View Full Version : ice fishing with a long spinning/baitcaster

spinN'flyfish
01-05-2015, 11:07 PM
Never saw anyone try it, would it work when if you were to use an open water rod for ice fishin' ? Just wondering if y'all know how'd it, and yes I do have an ice fishing rod, it'd be a great alternative

Big Red 250
01-05-2015, 11:16 PM
deleted reply.

spoons
01-06-2015, 05:52 AM
Would be hilarious to see that in a one man tent. :thinking-006:

Dean2
01-06-2015, 08:23 AM
I have seen people using summer rods ice fishing. It worked but it looked to be pretty darn cumbersome being 6' away from the hole when trying to drop line or bring up a fish. A hand line and a 14" long two by tow to wrap the line on would be my choice over a long rod, that or at least leave the second section off and use the shorter butt and reel part. You can buy an ice rod for under $10 so even for one trip I can't see putting up with the aggravation.

bubba 96
01-06-2015, 09:02 AM
Buddy uses his all the time, its kinda funny when he has a 6 lb bully and his rod tip is bent down the hole...

YeeHaw
01-06-2015, 09:18 AM
Watched a couple "new Canadians" using them at Lac St Anne and they had a tough time using them. Gave them one of my ice ice rods to try, and they soon had a preference for it.

cube
01-06-2015, 10:31 AM
Never saw anyone try it, would it work when if you were to use an open water rod for ice fishin' ? Just wondering if y'all know how'd it, and yes I do have an ice fishing rod, it'd be a great alternative

Works just fine, you do need someone else with you to help land the fish as you will be a fair distance from the hole. I have seen a number of Lake Trout guys use full length stuff quite often and I have certainly tested out more than a few new rods (Christmas presents) out on the ice and they worked great. Just like I said though take a friend along to help guide the fish at the hole.

Have a great season

spinN'flyfish
01-06-2015, 03:51 PM
Would be hilarious to see that in a one man tent. :thinking-006:

Yes that's possibly why people use shorter rods

spinN'flyfish
01-06-2015, 03:55 PM
Works just fine, you do need someone else with you to help land the fish as you will be a fair distance from the hole. I have seen a number of Lake Trout guys use full length stuff quite often and I have certainly tested out more than a few new rods (Christmas presents) out on the ice and they worked great. Just like I said though take a friend along to help guide the fish at the hole.

Have a great season

pretty helpful, though i know its not preferable or good but its an alternative if an ice rod is not available
have a great season too

Habfan
01-06-2015, 04:39 PM
Best way to fish for lakers !! Through the ice !

adrian3232
01-06-2015, 05:32 PM
I'm a fan of using jigging sticks with 4lb test for smaller Trout and Perch... No reel. For my Pike and Walleye I use 10 -15 lb test on medium and heavy conventional ice rods. To be honest, I try to not get overly creative with my gear, stick to what works and you won't have any hiccups is my motto. The disadvantage of using an open water rod for ice fishing is that you run a high likelihood of having the end go down the hole and it breaking.

Best of luck!

Wild&Free
01-06-2015, 05:36 PM
Burbot fishing on Babine lake. it's quiet comical to see.

Dean2
01-06-2015, 06:36 PM
Best way to fish for lakers !! Through the ice !

Have to disagree. If you get the right Ice rod for lakers, 36-40" stiff butt, good tip with a progressive medium bend, they work MUCH better than the long rods. Most guys use far too light an ice rod for it to work well on Lakers. Getting the right action and power rod provides plenty of flex and power for fighting the fish, but with the shorter rod you don't risk getting your line cut off on the bottom of the ice. You are close enough to the hole to have proper control of where your line is, including being able to put the tip down the hole if the fish is pulling at too acute an angle.