PDA

View Full Version : Wabamun ice fishing *rookie*

Mranderson22
01-06-2015, 09:34 PM
Hey there guys. The time has come to finally put to use my new ice fishing gear this Friday. I've never been out on the ice but I am an avid open water fisherman. I'm familiar with wabamun in the summer time but obviously not after the ice. I was just wondering if it is possible to access the ice from the provincial park in the winter time? Any tips for a rookie would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance

EZM
01-06-2015, 09:37 PM
If you are planning on fishing the main lake ...... do not drive under the bridge out from moonlight bay (provincial park).

Every few years someone looses their truck under or near the bridge due to unsafe ice.

Best access is the townsite right in Wabamun by the pier.

EZM
01-06-2015, 09:38 PM
Smelts or Herring make excellent bait in the winter. Find some structure and set up on the deeper part of that structure and you will be on fish.

Mranderson22
01-06-2015, 10:40 PM
Excellent. I was wondering about access to the smaller bay. Will not be driving apparently haha. Smelts are already in the freezer. I'm not familiar with the rest of the lake but I guess I'll just have to explore a bit. Is the ice generally safe to drive on from the town site or would walking be the best bet?

Mranderson22
01-06-2015, 10:41 PM
Just re read your comment and you said do not drive OUT from the bay. Does that mean the bay is accessible from the PP then?

skidderman
01-07-2015, 01:03 AM
Just re read your comment and you said do not drive OUT from the bay. Does that mean the bay is accessible from the PP then?

The bay is assessable from the park but why. If it were me the bay is useless to fish in. If you want to walk people used to walk to the other side of the bridge to catch whitefish. Was with a group of people one time and one of the kids fell through the ice under the bridge but someone grabbed him & pulled him out. Very scary!!! You need to be very careful around that bridge. For pike I would be fishing west end not far from the boy scout camp. Ice can be very good or not so good so you need to be careful and test. Shouldn't be that hard as all you need to do is go where the others are. Good luck & be careful.

Mranderson22
01-07-2015, 03:06 AM
I've just never really ventured too far into the main lake. I only have a trolling motor so during the summer I stick to the bay and have decent success. I guess I assumed winter would be similar in that area

TYEE
01-07-2015, 07:51 AM
Personally I prefer to enter lake at Fallis. Just don't park on the shoreline, you may be ticketed. Not sure if there is good access this year, have yet to go. There is several places to fish from this entry point. Take your pick.

SamSteele
01-07-2015, 08:22 AM
I've just never really ventured too far into the main lake. I only have a trolling motor so during the summer I stick to the bay and have decent success. I guess I assumed winter would be similar in that area

The thing to remember with ice fishing is that areas with thick weeds tend to be less attractive to fish as the winter goes on. This is due to the weeds dying typically due to less light making it down to their level because of attenuation from the thickness of snow and ice. When the weeds die they end up decomposing on the bottom which uses oxygen. This results in less cover for the fish as well as an area with depleted oxygen in the water. Since there is no wave action to oxygenate the water the fish tend to move out until spring.

In short, the shallow weedbeds that produced fish in the summer may not be as productive in the winter.

SS

tonypower
01-07-2015, 10:01 AM
Get a tip up and a quick strike rig and put a hearing about a foot off bottom. I would be in about 15ft of water. Can't miss

Mranderson22
01-07-2015, 09:00 PM
So by the sounds of it there are no recommendations to go to the PP then.. I've never been out to fallis but if the lake is accessible I guess that ll be where I start. I just want to give myself the best opportunity to succeed.

1bluZebec
01-07-2015, 09:34 PM
No go to fallis. You should have a good time

YeeHaw
01-07-2015, 09:34 PM
Directly in front of the pier in town always produces something, the east side by the Ironhead golf course is good year round, around Fallis produces as well. These spots are all accessable by drive or a maximum ten minute walk. Dont be afraid to drive to these locations and just see where people have and are fishing. I have always had better luck in the main lake. Best of luck

Lund rebel
01-08-2015, 06:33 AM
I will be going out on Saturday, message if you would like to join us I can show you some pointers.

HuyFishin
01-08-2015, 09:45 AM
my luck has always been best at fallis

dwedmon
01-08-2015, 12:17 PM
Fallis is always dependable. Just make sure you don't park in the town, you have to drive onto the ice or you get fined.

EZM
01-08-2015, 06:34 PM
The thing to remember with ice fishing is that areas with thick weeds tend to be less attractive to fish as the winter goes on. This is due to the weeds dying typically due to less light making it down to their level because of attenuation from the thickness of snow and ice. When the weeds die they end up decomposing on the bottom which uses oxygen. This results in less cover for the fish as well as an area with depleted oxygen in the water. Since there is no wave action to oxygenate the water the fish tend to move out until spring.

In short, the shallow weedbeds that produced fish in the summer may not be as productive in the winter.

SS

Sam,

I prefer to fish drop offs, not weed flats, but there are alot of guys on here that fish weed flats for pike under the ice and do well (Wayne being the most famous of this camp judging from his videos).

These can be great areas and shouldn't be overlooked in my opinion.

Oxegen does not deplete locally around weeds and stay there like a dead zone, or cloud kind of thing ..... the O2 levels will stratify in lakes under the ice relatively quickly equalizing in layers.

Although it is correct that O2 consumption happens as a result of decaying vegetation, it doesn't stay local, and I don't think the levels are enough to have a big impact in driving fish to, or from, an area.

Fish go to where there is food and cover. That's where you will catch them.

Mranderson22
01-08-2015, 11:06 PM
Really appreciate all the advice guys. Heading out tomorrow am at around 7 and we may end up trying a few locations. I'll let you know how we do. Thanks again to everyone

Mranderson22
01-16-2015, 03:41 PM
Hey guys haven't had the chance to follow up on this but Id just like to say thanks again for all the pointers. We hit up the townsite and walked straight out from the pier. It was about minus 28 and we ended up getting skunked but it was still a great day and a great experience. I'm heading out to gull lake for a 2 night trip at one of the on ice cabins so I'm hoping to have a bit more luck next time around. Thanks again