PDA

View Full Version : Badger ice

Mikediz
01-08-2015, 09:22 AM
anyone been to badger recently, is it safe to drive a 1/2 ton truck on yet?

fentochris
01-08-2015, 09:42 AM
We were at Badger 2 weekends ago and the ice was 12". She was moaning and cracking a ton while we were there. Suffice to say a few of us had puckered a** holes.. Why not just park on the south end road and walk the 30' out? I wouldn't feel comfortable driving there but your call.

Couleestalker
01-08-2015, 10:40 AM
Lots of trucks on the ice last Saturday including mine.

kevinhits
01-08-2015, 11:26 AM
How is getting on the ice with all the snow lately...Would prefer to bring the van than the truck:)

Evil69
01-08-2015, 08:17 PM
I was there today. Ice is 14-18". The north end is a little less but I drove my Tacoma on there this morning no problems and there was a Ford F250 driving along the North west side...looked like he was just crusing, he never stopped to drill any holes. i drilled a few in the trough and ice is about 16" or more. In the afternoon I walked the South end doing some exploratory drilling and never saw anything under 14", hit one spot where it measure 18" near the middle however when I hit the Southwest corner at 4:00 pm a large pressure ridge opened just feet away from me and water flooded the area, you can see it from up on the dam. Scared the crap out of me it happened so fast.
Fishing was slow, the morning storm was wicked and winds were fierce, I had troubles keeping the holes from freezing over. Temps dropped all day long but the sun came out mid afternoon so that helped make it a bit more bearable. I still managed to land 14 undersized pike and 4 almost legal Walleye (45-48 cm) all released. I lost a rather large white at the hole early in the morning on the north end and even hooked a small perch (19 cm) I released.

Seems to be lots of tire tracks all over so my educated guess is your safe on most parts. Good luck and if you see a big guy in a black jacket wearing a Bruins hat towing a blue sled around Say hi :)

Evil69
01-08-2015, 08:19 PM
How is getting on the ice with all the snow lately...Would prefer to bring the van than the truck:)
Snow drifts everywhere I had my truck in 4Hi most the way...I'd wait until it gets packed down a little on Saturday.

pikester
01-09-2015, 08:01 AM
Was 16"on north end around the permanent shacks on Wednesday, we drove on in my buddies Chev 2500 extended cab, no issues for us.