PDA

View Full Version : jigging for burbot in alberta

Eddy62
01-09-2015, 06:06 AM
my brother in law was down in Calgary for xmas and was showing me some pics of the burbot they were catching in mobley lake out side off chetwynd bc and I have to say there were some pretty impressive pictures.

was telling me they only jig for burbot in that lake my question is ? is jigging in alberta good for burbot as I have never caught one but I keep hearing they are great to eat ................thanks for any input later :)

adrian3232
01-09-2015, 07:11 AM
Rotten chicken on a J-hook is how I've always got them. I put it on the bottom and they seem to go for that. Was you brother in law using bait while bottom bounce jigging? Burbots eyesight is pretty poor so I wouldn't doubt it. Also, if there's extensive flats in a lake, the Burbot may have adopted a more aggressive predatory way of feeding.

SKSniper
01-09-2015, 07:33 AM
I was jigging for perch a few weeks ago with the smallest jig head I had and a tiny little chunk of minnow, A burbot came and inhaled it so once I got him up I switched to a normal size jig head and a full minnow and ended up icing 2 more that day (in a lake where burbot is not listed as a present species) I was in about 20 f.o.w. a few inches off the bottom.

And yes, they are fantastic eating, I had never tried it before as I am not a huge fish eater but I gotta say burbot is delicious. Just as tasty as perch fillets IMO

Fishike
01-09-2015, 10:28 AM
Jig head tipped with a smelt, bounced off the bottom slowly every now and then seems to work for me in our Southern Alberta Burbot lakes...leaving one right on the bottom, not jigging it has produced as well. Mmmmmm fried burbot.

aulrich
01-09-2015, 12:07 PM
A glow tube jig and a minnow bounced on the bottom.

CritterCommander
01-09-2015, 12:16 PM
Beef Liver set on the bottom, jig head or straight hook.