PDA

View Full Version : Marcum Pancam Reviews

hughes
01-09-2015, 06:34 PM
Has anyone been able to try this out on the ice yet? Really thinking of getting one but have heard of some mixed reviews with the panning function. Any feedback would be awesome.

jkind
01-09-2015, 08:09 PM
I will be trying mine for the first time tomorrow...I will let you know.

Brandon5555
01-09-2015, 08:11 PM
I'd also like to here some feedback

harrydude
01-09-2015, 08:14 PM
I had one. They have panner issues. And camera filling with water...

I returned mine and up graded.

GregT
01-09-2015, 09:19 PM
I had one. They have panner issues. And camera filling with water...

I returned mine and up graded.

What did you upgrade to?

kcward
01-10-2015, 01:13 AM
What did you upgrade to?

I am trying my 2nd one hopefully on Sunday. Will let you know.
First one panner was bad, 2nd one camera took on water first trip. just got replacement camera.

Wondering what you upgraded to as well?
I was thinking of the 825, but would miss the wifi.

harrydude
01-10-2015, 09:05 AM
Yup I just got the 825

Had the camera soaking in the sink all night

There has been a lot of issues with the pan cam.

Heard that over 25% of sale from a store was returned with issues..

So I wanted the better system but same cam. So I upgraded to the vs 825
Hope it's not garbage.

tonypower
01-10-2015, 01:28 PM
Yup I just got the 825

Had the camera soaking in the sink all night

There has been a lot of issues with the pan cam.

Heard that over 25% of sale from a store was returned with issues..

So I wanted the better system but same cam. So I upgraded to the vs 825
Hope it's not garbage.

It's an awesome camera. You won't be sorry

hughes
01-11-2015, 09:14 AM
So has anyone been able to try her out this weekend?

jkind
01-11-2015, 07:16 PM
I tried mine for the first time yesterday and there are a few issues...the panning motor is a little weak...and panning on mine was an issue, I could not pan in small increments making it very difficult to aim the camera precisely.

The battery lasted all day with 2/3 battery left when I got home.

The video on my 10" tablet was better than on my VS825SD.

The panning issue can be fixed through an app update so I am not too worried about that

kcward
01-11-2015, 08:48 PM
So has anyone been able to try her out this weekend?

I tried mine out today, camera didn't take on water!! The Panning worked pretty good. When you swipe it does go a little too far sometimes, but all in all was satisfied. The first hole I punched kind of flooded the ice about 2" of water, so I didn't think I should set the unit in the water.

Hopefully the camera holds up!

Brandon5555
01-20-2015, 12:20 PM
So marcum has delayed all outgoing units. I guess they are going to test each individual unit for flaws. Bittersweet that they will fix all the flaws but sucks because I had one on order. That makes me a saaaad panda

Jamie Black R/T
01-20-2015, 01:21 PM
quality check before shipping product out...now there is a novel approach that is overlooked all too often today.

At least they are admitting there is issues and doing something to address them.

Glad to hear!

EZM
01-20-2015, 03:06 PM
I tried mine out today, camera didn't take on water!! The Panning worked pretty good. When you swipe it does go a little too far sometimes, but all in all was satisfied. The first hole I punched kind of flooded the ice about 2" of water, so I didn't think I should set the unit in the water.

Hopefully the camera holds up!

I took a piece of plywood roughly 14" x 14" and cut a slot from one edge to the middle so the panner was sitting on top of the wood instead of directly on the cold and wet ice ..... should make the batteries last longer, avoid any water infiltration and stop the panner from going down the hole.

I was going to cut it out of 2" thick closed cell foam to insulate the hole from freezing .... but that will be the next upgraded version. lol.

kcward
01-20-2015, 04:22 PM
I took a piece of plywood roughly 14" x 14" and cut a slot from one edge to the middle so the panner was sitting on top of the wood instead of directly on the cold and wet ice ..... should make the batteries last longer, avoid any water infiltration and stop the panner from going down the hole.

I was going to cut it out of 2" thick closed cell foam to insulate the hole from freezing .... but that will be the next upgraded version. lol.

I was thinking of something like that myself. I was thinking of just a square box with 2x4's on their side, but that would be a little heavy in comparison to the closed cell foam. Good idea.

EZM
01-20-2015, 09:30 PM
I was thinking of something like that myself. I was thinking of just a square box with 2x4's on their side, but that would be a little heavy in comparison to the closed cell foam. Good idea.

I was going to do the same (frame it with 2 x 4) OR cut a few blocks to prop up the plywood but didn't have any scrap 2x4 laying around.

You wouldn't really need a full frame around the entire perimeter to hold up the weight of the panner.

I find the thickness of the plywood keeps it put of the water and it doesn't need cleats (or a frame) .....

The foam Idea would be the best - unless it's windy ..... lol ..... I was thinking of just adding the foam to the underside of the plywood.

I also use a plastic milk crate to prop my camera up in the tent to keep it off the ice and out of the wet as well. The same crate keeps the electronics packed up in the cab as well.

Brad505
02-09-2015, 07:38 PM
I have gone through 2 pan cams now the panner motor is so cheaply made. The plastic collar that holds the shaft in place keeps breaking

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/09/6556b84024b305ec29dacfef88a983c4.jpg http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/09/d41c429c42d5653eebbf7964e76fa447.jpg

Stryker2
02-09-2015, 09:38 PM
I've read tons of reviews on the PanCam and there not good at this stage. I went with the Vexilar FishPhone and I'm very happy I did. I can get a universal remote camera panner from Marcum (kinda Funny that they make good panners but not on their PanCam! LOL!) for $70. if I get tired of turning the camera by hand! But so far I haven't found the need to do that.

kcward
02-10-2015, 07:56 AM
I've read tons of reviews on the PanCam and there not good at this stage. I went with the Vexilar FishPhone and I'm very happy I did. I can get a universal remote camera panner from Marcum (kinda Funny that they make good panners but not on their PanCam! LOL!) for $70. if I get tired of turning the camera by hand! But so far I haven't found the need to do that.

I had the fishphone last year and sold it...had it rigged up in a box and everything. Downgraded to the pancam. The camera might be slightly better in definition, but the panner is the problem. The app/wifi is more flaky with the iphone as well. Fishphone is a great product...I miss it :)

Stryker2
02-10-2015, 11:47 AM
Yes the wifi in underwater camera's are a relatively new technology and so therefore they all need some time to improve. I'm sure in the years to come they will be great! I mean the whole idea of being able to watch the fish on your tablet or phone while you're warming up in your truck is phenominal! LOL!:sHa_shakeshout:

kcward
07-27-2015, 04:50 PM
And now the camera has taken on water - 2nd one....good thing the fishin' hole is so great to deal with!

Has anyone had good luck with the camera NOT taking on water. Just trying to determine if they are all having problems or just a small percentage.

Thanks for letting me know your experience

Stryker2
07-27-2015, 05:35 PM
We went thru 2 of them for the same problem and gave up!

kcward
07-28-2015, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the reply...what did you end up going with to replace it?