PDA

View Full Version : NSR Ice fishing

Angler
01-10-2015, 05:21 PM
Hello, everyone!
First time went for fishing this year ))
Didn't want to go far, decided to try my summer river spot, in hope to catch a sturgeon. But could only get a sucker.
Had good time anyways, never fished on frozen river before(In Canada).
Caught one eye sucker ))

http://s12.postimg.org/touicqjzh/IMG_20150110_134835200.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

Ice is unexpectedly thick. 18 in
Had fun with hand auger.

Video in edit.

ALBTUFF
01-10-2015, 05:31 PM
You sir are braver then I. Thanx for posting.

flint guy
01-10-2015, 05:39 PM
Thats bad ass. Ice fishing sturgeon.... Now I want to try that.

SKSniper
01-10-2015, 05:41 PM
Thats bad ass. Ice fishing sturgeon.... Now I want to try that.

X2, it crossed my mind before but I never imagined the ice would be 18" thick!!!
hmmmmmm...:thinking-006:

Kurt505
01-10-2015, 05:44 PM
Wow.....

How many oz's of lead did it take for you to get the hook to stay put?

waterninja
01-10-2015, 06:08 PM
Congrats on that sucker. Hoe far upstream or downstream were you from edm? I fish the NSR all winter long but never through the ice.

jacenbeers
01-10-2015, 06:34 PM
That is pretty awesome. We were talking about catching sturgeon through the ice today. I hope you are successful. Be safe.

YeeHaw
01-10-2015, 06:56 PM
You are a brave or foolish man I Don't know which one yet. Normally I would say you are
Nuts, but now you got me thinking about it. So maby I'm the one who's nuts. Use to ice fish it around Prince Albert.:thinking-006:

Angler
01-10-2015, 07:15 PM
Congrats on that sucker. Hoe far upstream or downstream were you from edm? I fish the NSR all winter long but never through the ice.

That's in Edmonton. Pretty much street ice fishing

Angler
01-10-2015, 07:26 PM
Wow.....

How many oz's of lead did it take for you to get the hook to stay put?

I was geared with 4 oz, like in the summer. Worked well, I'd say 3 oz would be min for that kind of current.

Talking moose
01-10-2015, 07:33 PM
If one has knowledge of the river, rivers can be just as safe as any lake, stay away from where the rapids and high current areas would be. Thinner ice there and most likely to shallow anyway. Just remember back to summer where the deep slow moving eddys are and it's rather safe. Just don't go touring around exploring unless you know the river well enough to know where the rapids and high flow areas are. Lots of fish can be packed into the bigger deeper eddys to overwinter. Stick to the eddys people.

Geezle
01-10-2015, 07:42 PM
I dunno...if I'm not mistaken the flow in the NSR can fluctuate, regardless of season due to the dams upstream...

Be safe out there...just sayin'...

Talking moose
01-10-2015, 07:45 PM
I dunno...if I'm not mistaken the flow in the NSR can fluctuate, regardless of season due to the dams upstream...

Be safe out there...just sayin'...

Doesn't fluctuate very much in the winter. Just summer. In the middle of summer the water levels can be very low or spilling over the banks, winter it is way more consistent.

Red Bullets
01-10-2015, 08:31 PM
It is more consistant but the river can fluctuate just the same as summer. The dams let off water based on electricity usage which is pretty consistant. The ice can vary alot. The water can come up or drop a few inches on cycle.

Besides, I've always thought it was illegal to ice fish on the river. A person can fish year round on the river where there is open water but no ice fishing.
I tried looking in the regs and it mentions in ES 2 you can't ice fish the NSR river. No mention of this in PP2...
But on the Alberta Fishing Guide website it states no ice fishing on the NSR below Drayton (Hwy22) , or above.
http://www.albertafishingguide.com/location/water/all/north-saskatchewan-river-downstream-drayton-valley

I have somehow always thought this was the law.
Best ask F&W for clarification.

EZM
01-10-2015, 08:39 PM
Fall through the ice in a Lake, you are in trouble, but are likely to survive if you can get out.

Fall through the ice on a river with a current like the NSR or Bow ...... and if you are not able to pop back up exactly where you fell through .... you are likely to die.

Something I won't be doing on these river anytime soon.

When living in the US there were people ice fishing, driving on and playing all over the rivers in the winter, but those rivers were wider, deeper and generally had significantly less current.

Red Bullets
01-10-2015, 08:48 PM
Fall through the ice in a Lake, you are in trouble, but are likely to survive if you can get out.

Fall through the ice on a river with a current like the NSR or Bow ...... and if you are not able to pop back up exactly where you fell through .... you are likely to die.

When living in the US there were people ice fishing, driving on and playing all over the rivers in the winter, but those rivers were wider, deeper and generally had significantly less current.

Not just the big rivers.. when I was young I fell through the ice on a mid size creek and it took a few seconds to find where I fell through. The trajectory of entering the water... because you don't fall straight down, the ice gives way and you slide off the ice on an angle. Ten more seconds and I would have been sucking water. Luckily I was able to get out.

Wild&Free
01-10-2015, 08:52 PM
Angling is not permitted through the ice: a) into beaver ponds or b) into flowing waters in Zone 1 (Eastern Slopes Zone).

only thing in the general regulations in the book I could find.

pretty big sucker too. congrats.

Red Bullets
01-10-2015, 09:16 PM
From the regs. This would be ES2.

North Saskatchewan River from headwaters downstream to Abraham Lake, & tributaries, including tributaries to Abraham Lake, except Cline River and Siffleur River:
Apr. 1 to Aug. 31 – Trout limit 2; Cutthroat and Rainbow over 30 cm; Mountain Whitefish 5 over 30 cm; Bait Ban.
Sept. 1 to Oct. 31 – Trout and Mountain Whitefish limit 0; Bait Ban
Nov. 1 to Mar. 31 – CLOSED

from Bighorn Dam downstream to Hwy 22/39 (near Drayton Valley)
River only:
Apr. 1 to Oct. 31 – Trout limit 2; Cutthroat Trout over 35 cm; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Walleye and Sauger limit 3; Walleye over 50 cm; Pike limit 3 (no size limit); Burbot limit 10; Goldeye limit 10; Lake Sturgeon limit 0; Maggots are the only bait allowed and only from Aug. 16 to Oct. 31.

spinN'flyfish
01-10-2015, 09:40 PM
tho' its a sucker thats pretty bad ass man, ice fishin' on a river, only heard of that down across the border. CAreful out dude

RavYak
01-10-2015, 10:01 PM
From the regs. This would be ES2.

North Saskatchewan River from headwaters downstream to Abraham Lake, & tributaries, including tributaries to Abraham Lake, except Cline River and Siffleur River:
Apr. 1 to Aug. 31 – Trout limit 2; Cutthroat and Rainbow over 30 cm; Mountain Whitefish 5 over 30 cm; Bait Ban.
Sept. 1 to Oct. 31 – Trout and Mountain Whitefish limit 0; Bait Ban

from Bighorn Dam downstream to Hwy 22/39 (near Drayton Valley)
River only:
Apr. 1 to Oct. 31 – Trout limit 2; Cutthroat Trout over 35 cm; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Walleye and Sauger limit 3; Walleye over 50 cm; Pike limit 3 (no size limit); Burbot limit 10; Goldeye limit 10; Lake Sturgeon limit 0; Maggots are the only bait allowed and only from Aug. 16 to Oct. 31.

Since when is Edmonton upstream of Drayton Valley??? Edmonton portion is clearly PP2 which is open all year.

If you are going to attempt this be very very careful. Best to have a survival suit and or be tied off. If you fall through and end up under the ice you are screwed.

YeeHaw
01-10-2015, 10:21 PM
Just checked the stream reports for the NSR in Edmonton , and it fluctuating between 3.52M and 3.90M. At the Edmonton monitoring station.

tonypower
01-10-2015, 10:43 PM
Either way the nsr is not the kind of river for ice fishing. Propels dogs break through the ice every year so I would be really c

tonypower
01-10-2015, 10:44 PM
Careful *

boonedocks
01-10-2015, 11:07 PM
I have also always thought it to be illegal, but I can't seem to find anything in the regs other than Eastern Slopes zones! I know of areas where guys drive across the river ice while hauling hay ( downstream of edmonton) but not for me! Be careful!

FreshAirGetter
01-10-2015, 11:16 PM
I keep meaning to try but i was going to wait til feb...guess i might be able to go sooner! Not sure how i'll die..ice fishing rivers, running into a bear or a cougar, hitting a big rock jet boating in the river, freezing to death, falling down a mountain, drowning...but either way it'll be fishing!

Red Bullets
01-11-2015, 02:47 AM
Since when is Edmonton upstream of Drayton Valley??? Edmonton portion is clearly PP2 which is open all year.
If you are going to attempt this be very very careful. Best to have a survival suit and or be tied off. If you fall through and end up under the ice you are screwed.

I know downstream of Drayton is in PP2 and is open year round. I have always thought it was only open to fishing only where there is open water.

I think there needs to be claritly as in the Alberta Fishing Guide online it says it is illegal to ice fish into the river downstream of Drayton. And on the webpage states the site strives to be accurate but refers to call the SRD at 780 944 0313 for clarification.

http://www.albertafishingguide.com/location/water/all/north-saskatchewan-river-downstream-drayton-valley

That's why it's probably better to question F&W Edmonton regional office about PP2.

Kim473
01-11-2015, 06:25 AM
North Saskatchewan River
upstream of Highway 22/39 (Drayton Valley) – see Fish Management Zone 1, Watershed Unit ES2.
from Highway 22/39 (Drayton Valley) downstream to the Alberta/Saskatchewan border
River Only
Open all year – Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Walleye limit 0; Sauger limit 3 (Sauger limit 0 from Apr. 1 to May 14); Pike limit 1 over 63 cm; Burbot limit 10; Goldeye limit 10; Lake Sturgeon limit 0.
tributaries (excluding Sturgeon River) Apr. 1 to May 14 – CLOSED
May 15 to Mar. 31 – Open (Walleye limit 0 for portions within 500 m of main stem)

I interpert it to be open all year down stream of Drayton to the Sask border. Would not catch me walking on the ice on the NSR. maybe fish open waters but not through the ice. Too dangerous. Just never know.

rottik9
01-11-2015, 09:24 AM
I hope this post will not entice others to chance ice river fishing....you will not be easy to find for SAR. Rivers in winter are not a place to explore, folks that have to cross...have knowledge of where to cross. Ice fishing is exploring, looking for fish, this time you may be the sucker.

huntsfurfish
01-11-2015, 10:12 AM

I hope this post will not entice others to chance ice river fishing....you will not be easy to find for SAR. Rivers in winter are not a place to explore, folks that have to cross...have knowledge of where to cross. Ice fishing is exploring, looking for fish, this time you may be the sucker.

Agree!
No fish is worth your life. If you go, be very careful.
Used to collect river water samples in winter. Walked on areas we know was knee deep or less. Sometimes broke through and got wet, sometimes didnt. Ice is unpredictable especially on a river!
Your choice though!

Angler
01-11-2015, 10:24 AM
Wow, I did not expect so many answers to pop up.
I still didn't get if it is legal or not to fish on ice on the river?
Looks like I can, just got to be safe.
Can I get myself in trouble with law doing that?

With my post, I did not mean to push anyone start ice fishing on the river. I just wanted to say it is possible and could be pretty safe at some spots, even with this kind of current like NSR has. You just got to "read" the river, think physic. There is lots of spots, where current is low, like on the big turns and stuff. There is no need to cross the river, fish bite better closer to shore.

I used to ice fish on the rivers every season back home. I am from Ukraine. People fish everywhere over there. So I learned a lot. I take care. That's why I feel safe.

River for sure is not for newbies. But everyone could learn.
Anyways, never go if you not sure. I don't want anyone to follow me and get into trouble. Take an extra care and be safe.

Back to the report.
There is another couple pictures of my trip.
Gonna try to finish editing video today. There is some nice fish, I caught about 10 suckers, even one doubleheader on tipup.

http://s23.postimg.org/6apa92qmz/IMG_20150110_124645880.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

http://s1.postimg.org/qyyixvhgv/IMG_20150110_134841337.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

Thank you

Wild&Free
01-11-2015, 11:42 AM
question for you Angler.

did you punch a couple holes on your walk out from shore or just the one?

Angler
01-11-2015, 12:11 PM
question for you Angler.

did you punch a couple holes on your walk out from shore or just the one?

Yes punched a few holes, before go far, to see the depth and ice thickness. Was fishing in about 7 to 10 FOW

Angler
01-11-2015, 02:14 PM
Done editing the video of my adventure.
Please enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjmE5FvJ94w

Alberta Bigbore
01-11-2015, 05:38 PM
It would be cool to see a sturge come out of the ice in that spot!!. Ice fishing in rivers is common further east.

Talking moose
01-11-2015, 05:39 PM
Video enjoyed.... I as well grew up on a river.

Alberta Bigbore
01-11-2015, 05:44 PM
Please enjoy

Thats is awesome. Now i want to go ice fish for greenbacks!!

Red Bullets
01-11-2015, 05:47 PM
Very nice video.
There should be a few rockies to be caught in the winter too. Next time try a smaller hook and maggots or a weighted white fly. Not saying it will work but I have caught rockies in Jan. and Feb. with maggots on NSR open water.

Wild&Free
01-11-2015, 06:23 PM
great video.

Thanks for sharing.

Talking moose
01-11-2015, 06:23 PM
Very nice video.
There should be a few rockies to be caught in the winter too. Next time try a smaller hook and maggots or a weighted white fly. Not saying it will work but I have caught rockies in Jan. and Feb. with maggots on NSR open water.

I ussually catch more burbot than anything under ice river fishing

Angler
01-11-2015, 06:54 PM
It would be cool to see a sturge come out of the ice in that spot!!. Ice fishing in rivers is common further east.

Yes, man. I do hope to catch it this winter. It is going to be my first one, want to hold him in my hands so bad. Alive dinosaur.
Well, I keep on trying.

Angler
01-11-2015, 07:04 PM
Very nice video.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try something like that next trip.
Have you ever caught goldeye or moon at winter time?

buckmaster
01-11-2015, 07:14 PM
Please enjoy

Awesome video!! Makes me wanna fish the nsr now.....lol Surprised you didnt catch any walleye..

mooseknuckle
01-11-2015, 07:19 PM
Great video. Never ice fished the river but often wondered what it would be like to book a nice sturgeon under the ice!?

Wild&Free
01-11-2015, 08:02 PM

They tend to migrate from what I've read. probably holding up in the deeper section of the river somewhere.

Alberta Bigbore
01-11-2015, 08:34 PM
They tend to migrate from what I've read. probably holding up in the deeper section of the river somewhere.

From what i understand....migrate waaaaaay downstream..as far as in Mabitoba.

WayneChristie
01-11-2015, 08:42 PM
great video. if you are hoping to land a sturgeon if its any size that gear is going to break, or the rod will be gone down the hole before you can grab it likely. going to try the same thing myself in the next while down south here. good luck dino hunting!

rafhone
01-11-2015, 08:51 PM
Go git them dino's, Angler. I'm sure you'll do it before ice is off.

Stay safe and tight lines to you!

rafhone
01-11-2015, 08:55 PM
From what i understand....migrate waaaaaay downstream..as far as in Mabitoba.

Thats what my dad says too, but I figure there are always atleast a few that find a nice hole in the river for home base.

Angler
01-11-2015, 08:57 PM
Awesome video!! Makes me wanna fish the nsr now.....lol Surprised you didnt catch any walleye..

Thanks. Yeah I use to catch some eyes during the summer. But they usually activate after sunset. Couple times I went to the river at night. Fished from 10 to 1 am. Best bites for walleye at summer.

Red Bullets
01-11-2015, 08:58 PM

No goldeye or mooneye in winter in the PP2 region as far as me catching them. I believe they winter in Tobin lake and other reservours in Sask.

One study in 1978 by a guy named Munson documented a goldeye moving downstream 2000 km. in 15 days.

Angler
01-11-2015, 09:07 PM
great video. if you are hoping to land a sturgeon if its any size that gear is going to break....... good luck dino hunting!

Well, that rod is strong enough, I think. But better get some better line than 6 LB ))
Thanks man, good luck to you too!

flint guy
01-11-2015, 09:33 PM
I have caught gold eye early as end of February on a fly in the nsr. It was a warmer spurt that year (I think 3 years ago?). I also catch them on spinning gear beginning in March, as soon as the ice breaks up. Some excellent AO members pointed me in the right direction.

Can't see the snow in the pic but the shores were full, burgs drifting and a lot of debris in the water. This is also the time of year I caught burbs.

ddddd05
01-12-2015, 12:53 AM
Great post angler!

DiabeticKripple
01-12-2015, 12:57 AM
for anyone wondering what catching a dino under the ice is like...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XmA3TxYc28

waterninja
01-12-2015, 07:47 AM
Thats a great little video Angler. I too am surprised you didn't hook up with any wallies.

kidd
01-13-2015, 11:39 AM
I fished the NSR through the ice a number of times as a kid. The spot was an eddy and the water wasn't truly "flowing" like one would automatically think of in a river. There were times that there was a gap between the ice and the water because the water had dropped. I probably wouldn't be in a hurry to do it today, but in certain instances it can be done safely. I wouldn't be recommending it. I cringe when I see anyone out on the edge of the river in winter.
kidd

Fishslayer99
01-13-2015, 11:55 AM
great video. if you are hoping to land a sturgeon if its any size that gear is going to break, or the rod will be gone down the hole before you can grab it likely. going to try the same thing myself in the next while down south here. good luck dino hunting!

Hope you take a video Wayne...I would love to see that. I think a 10" hole would do it, just hope you don't get into one in the 50+ pound range. You might need a bigger hole then...maybe drill 2 side by side to be safe. good luck trying to pull that off in mid fight!

dodgeboy1979
01-14-2015, 11:47 AM
there are a few guys with huts on the NSR just north of Lloydminster. We drive our trucks across in a few spots so i can't see why icefishing would be anymore dangerous than the lakes.

dmcbride
01-14-2015, 11:53 AM
Don't the river levels fluctuate though out the day? I know when we go canoeing, camping the river is at it's highest during the evening and it seems to be down about a foot in the morning. (Up stream of Devon)

Angler
01-14-2015, 04:11 PM
Well, seems like it doesn't fluctuate much in the winter, otherwise ice won't be so thick and strong.

http://s29.postimg.org/ui2m8d6uv/IMG_20150110_113754396.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

ineptflux
01-14-2015, 04:31 PM
The NSR has been fluctuating the last couple days if you reference the AB Rivers app.

Angler
01-14-2015, 06:26 PM
Maybe it is, I can't say no. What I know for sure, even if it is fluctuating, ice is good to fish on it. But it's up to you, guys.

dmcbride
01-14-2015, 08:47 PM
Well, seems like it doesn't fluctuate much in the winter, otherwise ice won't be so thick and strong.

http://s29.postimg.org/ui2m8d6uv/IMG_20150110_113754396.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

Thanks, was just curious. Im guessing the the ice goes up and down with flow? Explains the cracks close to the banks. I've never watched the river in the winter time.

YeeHaw
01-14-2015, 09:48 PM
I think a scouting trip is in order. :thinking-006:

spinN'flyfish
01-14-2015, 10:01 PM
Please enjoy

that looks real fun great job

Angler
01-17-2015, 06:16 PM
Even after week of warm weather, ice on the river has not changed. Still good 18"! Drilled 5 holes and had a good workout, I think it's time to get a power auger.
It was a good day with no bites, only one dry hit on tip-up. I also tried to catch some MWF or Goldeye with smaller hook and little 1" white twister, but had no luck. Will try some fly next time, or maggots. All I can say it's not simple to fish on the current. But it worth it. Even different feeling to pull a fish from the river. Next time I will try different spot, a little deeper, perhaps.

http://s12.postimg.org/xckcizdx9/IMG_20150117_132209293_HDR.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

Heading North!

http://s30.postimg.org/ywm7s9gxt/image.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

Nice and warm day on the ice, 15 min from home, yeah, fishing isn't always about the fish...

leloinjunior
03-13-2016, 01:08 PM
The River is open year-round. But be very careful & check the ice every 2ft. I've ice-fished in slack water area's of the NSR (out of current). I almost died once on an frozen over eddy area - checked ice few feet out & it was ok. Took two steps further & my whole foot went through the ice. Thank God I din't go through, it was a deep eddy & that would have been the end of me. Again, be careful & try to target areas that don't have any current.